“Do yourself a favor and stay away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Boulevard Inn

Save Saved
You added Boulevard Inn to your Saves list
Boulevard Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   785 Niagara Falls Boulevard, Amherst, NY 14226 (Formerly University Manor Motel)   |
Ranked #15 of 17 hotels in Amherst
Westminster, Massachusetts
“Do yourself a favor and stay away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Badly needs renovating in total, carpet was very dirty, bad smells, paint and wall paper coming off. This was the worst motel I ever stayed at ! This is a dump to say the least.
I was charged $129 and saw a sign in the room stating $79 and they would not honor it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This is a very convenient location. Recent renovations look good. The standard queen bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2010
Warren, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I read the reviews, but there were only three and not very current, so here is the scoop. First I want to say that I’m not a stuck up Ramada Inn only guy. In fact we usually stay at the cheaper hotels like hotel 6, Super 8 or even Red roof Inn. I wished we would have stayed at one of these places this time too. My wife and 14 year old daughter were with me on this trip.

When we pulled up to the room and saw the holes in the screen front window and the shutters broken we figured we were in trouble. We were right. We were told on the phone that the room was newly remodeled and painted. The (mildew?) smell hit you hard when you walked in the door but I figured we would turn on the air conditioner and go and eat and maybe the smell would be better when we got back. Wrong! If anything it was worse. I wondered why four or five rooms that were rented had their doors opened when we pulled up. Theirs smelled too maybe? We tried to get another room but they didn’t have another room with two beds. I drove around and tried to get another hotel but all were booked in the area for the night. A motel six worker even called several for me, bless her for that. I even called them all back the following afternoon hoping for cancellations, but still no rooms were available.
The plumbing was very old but worked except for the drain stopper for the tub that we found out the next day that you have to get from the manager, so no bath for my wife that night; that really made her happy. Also the hot in the sink barely ran more than a trickle. No counter space in the bathroom, just a wall hung sink. No electrical outlets in the bathroom for curling iron, hair blower or electric razor. I wonder, how many women would stay in a hotel if they knew there were no counter space or electrical outlets in the bathroom? The one usable outlet in the room was near the air conditioner by the door, so bring an extension cord if your wife needs to look in the mirror at the same time she uses her appliances. Oh, also the outlets for the fridge and microwave and by the air conditioner didn’t have electrical cover plates on them, so small children could get seriously hurt or even killed if not watched carefully. The manager told us it’s because they just painted and removed them for that. OK, how about putting them back. The smoke alarm didn’t work which they fixed for the next day, but still no covers on the plug receptacles. A strange observation made by my daughter, one side of the curtains over the air conditioner was a foot longer than the other side? There was also two areas of black something on top of the white baseboard molding that I thought was mold, but I was able to wipe it off with water so it doesn’t look like they clean like they should. If it was just painted how did black dirt get on the top of the molding so fast? There was a tile along the floor wall in the bathroom that was missing and it was very black inside there. Mold? Our daughter begged me to find another place to stay.

I told the manager that they made ozone air purifiers that would clean up the room smell and he said he would tell the owner. The manager was polite and tried his best to accommodate us.
However the manager told us he didn’t smell the smell in our room. He even said the help couldn’t smell it. They all must be used to it is all I can figure, cause its one of the worst smells I have ever smelled and I don’t have the best nose for smelling. The next day when we checked out, we drove for two hours and stopped to eat and the smell hit us again when we got back in our car. It must have absorbed into our clothes and suitcases and now our whole car smell like the hotel room.

Pluses: Price, fridge and microwave, beds were comfortable, Internet-very slow and have to get a key from the manager. It looks like the roof was newly shingled and the black top parking lot was nice except for one large pothole.

Minuses: No clock radio, smells, very old and run down, not as clean as should be, no electrical outlets where needed, bath tub stopper, almost everything.

I’m Sorry, but I could never stay or recommend anyone ever to this establishment. I didn’t ask for a refund or discount, didn’t figure there was any sense. I’m just caulking this up as lesson learned and hope to keep someone from making the same mistake we did. I know they’ll probably just write another “under new management” in the future to get people to stay there, but at least future goers to this place can ask if the electric has been updated so you can use a hair dryer in the bathroom. I guess the smell can’t be tested until you get there, so good luck if you try this place. I know I won’t again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
managerAmherst_NY, Manager at Boulevard Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
It is always unfortunate to have a guest that isn't happy. This was a puzzling situation because I was faced with a complaint about an odor that wasn't noticeable to anyone else. The room had been painted recently as well as having new a carpet installed. There was perhaps a slight scent from the new paint and carpet, which would be expected. Neither myself, nor my housekeeping staff, could find any evidence of the offensive odor cited by the guest.

A couple from Toronto rented the same room for the 3 days preceding this guest's stay and were completely satisfied with the accommodations. The same is true of a family that rented the room for 2 nights after.

The "slow" internet service they complained about is a high speed fiber service routed with top of the line Cisco access points. Most people understand the necessity of having the service secured with a WEP key and do not view that as an inconvenience.

I am not going to continue with a lengthy rebuttal of this guest's review except to say that once I told them we could not find the mysterious odor, I was immediately threatened with a Trip Advisor review. At that point, I can only conclude that they were on a witch hunt to come up with things to complain about, after all they did stay a 2nd night. I could have found them other accommodations with one phone call had they asked.
monroe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

not a bad little hotel. convenant to what we needed. beds where comfy. however the lienes could have benn better. its a older hotel but nice for the price.
We have stayed here twice now, so must not be to bad & i'm picky about my rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
san diego, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

First of all, the manager is fantastic. I was ready to "Fight" for a refund, and he was apologetic and understanding.

This place was dirty, drapery hems falling, "fitted sheet" was a flat sheet, the bed was the noisiest bed I had ever heard, standard pillow cases on king sized (not so clean) pillows, the a/c made a horrible noise so we couldn't run it... the bathroom was in dire need of a scrubbing and mildew removal (black grout) and the window casing was moldy and dirty. We didn't feel comfortable to remove our shoes! Since the price was right and it was close to family, we were willing to ask for a better room in the morning and stay at the motel... until the "housekeepers" came by in the morning, banging at the door.

Yes, BANGING. My husband's reply of "Come back later" was met with "Well, I know ya at least got towels in there..." (um, not really, we had just gotten in 8 hours before) and when he replied we were fine, we heard a sarcastic and almost threatening "Well, if I come back here and there are towels..." EXCUSE ME???? That got me jumping out of bed and ready to throw open the door and read the (3 I saw later) young gentlemen the RIOT ACT! My ever calm husband literally held me back (probably the smart thing!) and we quickly packed up (without using any more towels!) and walked right over to the office with the keys in hand.

Apparently they are "having trouble finding and training good housekeepers" and are in the process of remodeling as needed. To me, the place needs a thorough gutting, carpet, drapes, bed, bedding, decor, bathroom needs a LOT of work...

I was pleased with the manager's good attitude. He gave us our prepaid 4 days advanced payment right away and without an argument.

I will say we only saw the one room - I'm not sure what this other reviewer saw, and maybe the rooms differ greatly, but I would say if you really need to stay there, check the room first and ask if they've gotten the "housekeepin' hoodlums" off the payroll.

• Liked — The friendly front desk staff. In room refrigerator.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
managerAmherst_NY, Manager at Boulevard Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2008
First, I must apologize for the unfortunate experience of this reviewer. The motel was just put under new management at the time of the visit. The concerns of the guest have been addressed and the housekeeping staff has been changed. I would like to extend the opportunity for this reviewer to try us again.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2003

i was looking for a 2 night get-away for my husbands birthday and asked to see the motels rooms, which were quite clean and cozy. my eyes "popped" when i saw the 2 large jacuzzi rooms. the price was quite reasonable, so asked to book a jucuzzi room. unfortunatly both jacuzzi rooms had already been booked for the nights i wanted so i reserved it for the next available 2 night stay. the management was very friendly and we had no problems during our 2 night stay. belive this or not, i have driven by this motel for years, but never thought to check it out. check this motel out, you will be pleasantly surprised by it. i can't say anything bad about this motel because i didn't have any bad experiences there what so ever. margaret

Been to Boulevard Inn? Share your experiences!