“Horrendous” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5000 Main St, Amherst, NY 14226   |
Ontario, Canada
“Horrendous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in late January even though the lobby breakfast area is beautiful. The rest of the hotel is disgusting. It smelled old and dirty they say NO smoking and wherever I walked it smelled like smoke,the tv was so fuzzy it's pointless to even have them, the door to the courtyard didnt close well so it had a huge draft and it was 2 degrees out The staff was the rudest I have ever come across. I called the front desk and talked to Caroline and asked for extra towels and she responded with I will get them to you when I have time but I know that room was just cleaned today so you should have plenty already. My appetite at Breakfast left quickly when the breakfast attendant decided on sticking her hands in the garbage then on the food to rearrange it how disgusting can you be I will NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. I suggest you do the same there are definitely better hotels in the area for the same price

• Stayed January 2014
Bruce D, General Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Neveroneplace:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We work very hard to see that our guests have a comfortable and pleasant visit. Please be assured that I am reviewing your comments with our staff and following up on all your concerns. We would love the opportunity to have you as our guest again and show you true Lord Amherst hospitality.

Bruce Duncan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

But who cares, the price was right, the staff very nice and helpful, It was close to my MIL's assisted living facility and to other family in downtown Bflo. We spent 5 days over Christmas here and it did not break the bank! It was nice and warm, even when it was 3 degrees out. The shower had good water pressure, beds were comfortable. There were 4 of us in one room and it was not cramped. Parking was convenient in the inner courtyard. I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: The rooms with two beds are away from the highway, and have an outer door as well. Felt very secure...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Vaughan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Second stay in 6 months. This is a great family Inn. Very good breakfast. Nice fireplace to warm up with when entering lobby. Adding a tower (construction near by) but no issues with noise. Quiet area not too far from great shopping.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here during the Holidays while visiting family. Comfy clean hotel. If you are looking for a modern place, this is not it, but then stay at a big chain hotel. This reminded me of many of the small private hotels we stayed in Europe. The staff was very helpful and accommodating.
The doors are real keys. TV's old. (Would be nice to have MSG-B as an option) Free wifi. Lobby was really charming. Breakfast serviceable. Fitness room serviceable.
We would return again. If you are looking for a clean convenient hotel (not far from anything in the Buffalo region) it's a good choice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear costumegirljo,

Thank you so much for staying with us over the Holidays! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We take great pride in providing our guests with outstanding customer service, a great location, and convenient amenities.

I thank you for sharing your experience with tripadvisor, and we hope to see you again soon!

Happy Holidays,
Clarksburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is not a 4 star hotel, so don't come here because it's convenient, or the best price option, and expect that experience! I don't think it's fair for people to choose the most convenient, or cheapest hotel in an area, and then complain about it not being what they "hoped". It gets a 2 star rating because of the dropped balls that happen. I do expect to not find pubic hairs in the bathroom and tub, not have rooms that are non-smoking smell like cigarettes, and have a working TV if one is in the room. In the case of my stay here, none of these was an issue. I found the staff friendly, helpful and attentive when needed. While one previous reviewer described the breakfast as a joke, true, there wasn't eggs, bacon and grits available, but it was the lowest priced stay in the immediate area, and the Hampton apparently offered no better breakfast at $100 a night more! Did they advertise the greatest included breakfast in the area? If you want a better breakfast, go find and pay for it! Lord Amherst Hotel also happened to be right across the street from why we were here. For a 1 or 2 night stay, or even a few weeks if necessary, the experience I had was fine. I paid around $70 a night, and if you find it to be more, it will be commensurate with what other hotels in the area are charging due to an event in the area. I chose convenience and to save money, and when I do, I prepare myself for some disappointment. In this case I was pleased with the results. Regardless of the hotel, if the staff just does their job to clean a room as it should be, then it ought to be respectable. Even 4 star hotels have had carpet and age issues that caused my wife to have sinus fits, better to have those fits for less than half the price. If that is your issue, stay in a new construction hotel and beat the odds. Let me finish with this...the worst experience I ever had was at Caesars Palace. It's a 5 star by rating but gets a 2 from me. I say the worst experience because I hold them to a higher standard for getting this rating. I hate Vegas! I hate the smell of smoke everywhere and think they need to go where all other states have gone on the smoking issue. I find that the higher the rating, and the more I pay, the less I get. The only thing I can identify that the 4 and 5 star hotels give me for the higher rating and money is when you call from your room, they answer the phone and say "yes Mr. Smith"! Big deal!

Room Tip: If you're excessively picky, don't stay here, because you "will" find something to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Kyle S,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here! I agree that we are the most convenient and reasonably priced option in the area, and I am so happy that you felt this way as well. We always try to provide the best customer service, so I am thrilled that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I am happy to inform you that once we undergo renovations in the near future, we will be expanding our breakfast as well so that will definitely help to improve the overall experience.

I am sorry to hear about your stay in Vegas. Next time you and your wife want a fun, affordable vacation- come back to Buffalo and stay at the Lord Amherst again! We are right on the 290 which will get you to any of our many local casinos and night life in minutes!
Thank you again for the review and I hope to see you again soon!

Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Great hotel for the price in a convenient location close to major highways. Very nice staff, warm and cozy lounge area/lobby with a nice breakfast on the weekends. Towels are a bit on the thin side, but for the price, I would recommend this hotel in the Buffalo/Amherst area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
West Babylon, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

For the money this place is worth it. It does seem like it if from a few deccades ago, but it is clean and the people working there are nice. You just do not get service like that automatically now a days, unless youare paying for it!

The location is very convienent and easy to get to Buffalo or the airport or Niagara Falls. Weknew we only needed one night so we read the other reviews and took a chance and we are glad we did. Very few non-chain hotels would meet the standards this one tries to uphold; it is very important that customers are given good hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Travelingmom1374,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We take great pride in providing exceptional customer service for our guests, at it is great to hear that you felt that way. I am also glad you were able to take advantage of our excellent location to get to your destinations with ease during your stay.

We do agree with you about the décor, and we will be doing a complete comprehensive renovation in the very near future. We are very excited as we will be able to provide the same charm but with a fresh new concept and start! I hope that you will join us again soon, and that you again for your review.

Guest Service Manager

Been to Lord Amherst Hotel? Share your experiences!