“Good location, little dated and upgrade required.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Lord Amherst Hotel to your Saves list
Lord Amherst Hotel
5000 Main St, Amherst, NY 14226   |
Toronto, Canada
“Good location, little dated and upgrade required.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Happen to be one of the last hotels available so we thought we would give it a try. Close to shopping Walden, TJ Max's. Marshalls. My family and I could live with the fact that the place is dated and in need of a huge renovation. We enjoyed the breakfast very acceptable. It was August 2013 and the outdoor pool was acceptable. Gym was very small. The biggest downfall to this established was the experience we had with the beds....they are terrible!! If you dont want to spend $$ on back adjustments, this is not the place to stay......Upgrade the beds and the place would be most pleasant and tolerable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Diva416,

Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. I am so glad that you found our location convenient for your shopping endeavors! I am sorry that you were not comfortable on the mattress, we have some guests that love them and some that do not. I am happy to tell you that we will very soon be undergoing a complete comprehensive renovation, and that will include the installation of all brand new mattresses! I hope you will come back and stay with us again once those are complete so you can gain a new experience with us. Thank you again for your review.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I don't come here to spend time in the hotel...so don't need the meany costly accutraments that many mainline hotels offer. I wouldn't have time to use them anyway. I need a convenient place and the complimentary breakfast get's my day started right...good variety of offerings quickly provide a good substancial breakfeast that is healthy as well. Only once were we awakened during one stay by inconsiderate customers who were boisterously noisey in the hallway. And one year the older TV was not working well, and that was replaced the next day while I was away. This time the TV was newer again, but still the older style. The convenient parking close to my ground floor room is an added plus! I've had the same room a number of stays now. I'm delighted!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Paul602,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and thank you for your loyal patronage over the years! It is so wonderful to hear from our guests that frequent our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoy our accommodations, including our breakfast, convenient parking and location. It is our repeat guests that really keep us going, and I thank you again! We hope to see you soon.

Evanston, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Having grown up in Buffalo and passed this hotel for many, many years as it is conveniently located right off of Exit 50 of the NYS Thruway, and offering a very reasonable rate including breakfast, I decided to stay here for three nights. While the room was big, clean, and the bed comfortable, it is very dated. The TV in the room has a tube; the bath tub was stained from many years of soap rings, the hall ways look like something out of the 50's. The positive was two sinks in the room and the woman running the breakfast buffet (more of a continental breakfast buffet) was very helpful and pleasant to speak with. I would probably stay here again but it just might not be my first choice. That said, it is a fabulous location for getting on and off the highway going either East or West.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Harrisonburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hotel somewhat outdated but understand rehab in the works. Clean, comfortable and friendly. Rooms are large, just a bit outdated. Stay here typically severat times a year, can't beat price for good night sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I'll start with the negatives.:
The gentleman who checked me in was very curt and not helpful at all. The room had a very stale odor and the television picture was dark and difficult to watch. I checked in late at night so there was little to do about anything.
The next morning I asked the desk clerk about the room odor and she reported that all the rooms smelled that way because "we used to be a smoking hotel". I told her about TV , but it was not fixed. Oh well, just one more night to put in...I spent that night watching my computer.
On the positive:
The next day, on checkout, I told the desk clerk about my stay. She was very receptive and thanked me for my honest review. She was kind enough to take $20 off my final bill.
She reported the hotel is going to go under a full remodeling and invited me back next time I was in the area. It is in a good location, so I guess if they improve the rooms I could possibly consider returning.
My advice: it will be a great place to stay but it will need a lot of work before that happens.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hello Angela4819,
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay! I would like to start by deeply apologizing for the unpleasant encounter at check-in. Above all we are here to give you service with a smile and ensure a friendly and positive stay. We have discussed your comment at great lengths at our last managers meeting and are taking actions to prevent this kind of thing in the future. Your tv should have also been addressed right away. I am so glad we were able to talk to you before you left, and explain that we definitely will be renovating in the very near future. We do take these reviews very seriously and appreciate our guests taking the time to do so, so that we may improve our processes for the future.
We thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Munster bei Dieburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights to visit the surrounding area (and of course Niagara Falls State Park).

The price is more than competitive and the room was big and clean! The staff was friendly and helpful and the parking was great - lots of room!

The bathroom was kind of small, but that didn't bother me at all since my bathroom at home is small, too ;-)

The wifi was a little slow, but otherwise worked fine!

I would definitely stay here again if I get to come back to the area!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Had to spend the night in Amherst as my Mother had eye surgery and could not travel for 24hrs. The staff was personable, accommodating and friendly. The room clean and well taken care of. The price was more than competitive!! Matter of fact, we would have easily paid twice any where else for the sane thing!! I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words!

We take great pride in providing our customers with the best value! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you again and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Guest Service Manager

Been to Lord Amherst Hotel? Share your experiences!