“Needs Work” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5000 Main St, Amherst, NY 14226   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“Needs Work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I'll start with the negatives.:
The gentleman who checked me in was very curt and not helpful at all. The room had a very stale odor and the television picture was dark and difficult to watch. I checked in late at night so there was little to do about anything.
The next morning I asked the desk clerk about the room odor and she reported that all the rooms smelled that way because "we used to be a smoking hotel". I told her about TV , but it was not fixed. Oh well, just one more night to put in...I spent that night watching my computer.
On the positive:
The next day, on checkout, I told the desk clerk about my stay. She was very receptive and thanked me for my honest review. She was kind enough to take $20 off my final bill.
She reported the hotel is going to go under a full remodeling and invited me back next time I was in the area. It is in a good location, so I guess if they improve the rooms I could possibly consider returning.
My advice: it will be a great place to stay but it will need a lot of work before that happens.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hello Angela4819,
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay! I would like to start by deeply apologizing for the unpleasant encounter at check-in. Above all we are here to give you service with a smile and ensure a friendly and positive stay. We have discussed your comment at great lengths at our last managers meeting and are taking actions to prevent this kind of thing in the future. Your tv should have also been addressed right away. I am so glad we were able to talk to you before you left, and explain that we definitely will be renovating in the very near future. We do take these reviews very seriously and appreciate our guests taking the time to do so, so that we may improve our processes for the future.
We thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Julie Bishop

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Munster bei Dieburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights to visit the surrounding area (and of course Niagara Falls State Park).

The price is more than competitive and the room was big and clean! The staff was friendly and helpful and the parking was great - lots of room!

The bathroom was kind of small, but that didn't bother me at all since my bathroom at home is small, too ;-)

The wifi was a little slow, but otherwise worked fine!

I would definitely stay here again if I get to come back to the area!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Had to spend the night in Amherst as my Mother had eye surgery and could not travel for 24hrs. The staff was personable, accommodating and friendly. The room clean and well taken care of. The price was more than competitive!! Matter of fact, we would have easily paid twice any where else for the sane thing!! I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Julie D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words!

We take great pride in providing our customers with the best value! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you again and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Julie Bishop
Guest Service Manager
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I help run a yearly trip to the Buffalo area to see the Patriots play the Bills. We've stayed elsewhere but no longer. After staying at the Lord Amherst last season we've decided this is the place for us. The prices are great as well as the service. The rooms were very clean and the people were super, even to a bunch of Patriot fans.
We look forward to our trip this year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pune, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while visiting niagara falls. It is a 30 min drive to the falls. The rooms were clean and the quality of sleep was good. Also the breakfast was good. They also provide complementary wifi which although was not extraordinary, but served the purpose. Definitely recommend for someone looking to save some bucks and also find a decent hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am a review-a-holic. For a trip across the U.S. from LA to Boston
traveling 800 miles a day, you know I wanted a good but inexpensive
place to stay. Went on Travel Zoo, ofcourse, and read the reviews
(I only read the bad ones which tell me often the real story about
the hotel (and look to see if there are alot of bad vs good reviews)
Due to travel distance daily and wanting to "finally" see Niagra Falls
I looked at what was available around the Buffalo area. The rates in
August were outrageous. I am the kind that scours the internet for the
deal of a lifetime rate. I was going to "sadly" avoid Buffalo area
and then went on Kayak which (unlike Travel Zoo) included
Lord Amherst (shame on Travel Zoo!). The rates were under $80
but I scored "less 16%" by going directly to the hotel site and
making the reservation 7 days in advance: the best deal of the
5 hotels I stayed at across the country!.O.K. but what could I
possibly get for paying that little. Well, the Travel Zoo had
a ton of reviews. Surprisingly they were all good. Lord Amherst? Not
a chain. I thought, Yeah, Sure they must have written these themselves.
Well I am at the hotel right now typing at their free internet computor.
I was impressed by the outstandingly friendly greeting and
super quick check in by Gregg on night duty. He went out of his
way to supply anything I needed including this computor. The rest
of the staff was just as friendly, anything I needed....I loved
Niagra Falls (more importantly so did my wife and new bride of
19 years). My wife just called me on my cell phone and asked if the
HBO movies cost extra, nope, free! She was even happier! I was lucky
at the other motels to get 10 channels and no HBO. The hotel is not just clean it is pristine. More importantly it is quiet and for once my bed
is one I believe I can sleep on comfortably. I have Fibromyalgia and
pain so comfortable beds are important. Pillows seemed great as well.
Well time to sign off. If you want Niagra area for a great price then
I highly suggest you go directly to Lord Amherst Hotel site, a week or
longer ahead to score the week ahead discount (I am AAA and AARP
and they only take 10% off, sometime a bit more but not this much).
and during summer, yet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This place is a clean well maintained old style motel. They charge 1/2 the price of any local competition. Service is good. You could do a lot worse for more money. Rooms are large, location is5 min from SUNY

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lord Amherst Hotel? Share your experiences!