“Excellent Super Clean & Neat Value Stop!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Lord Amherst Hotel to your Saves list
Lord Amherst Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5000 Main St, Amherst, NY 14226   |
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
“Excellent Super Clean & Neat Value Stop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

My husband and I were traveling from NH to AZ with our cat for the first time. I was trying to keep to a low budget. I read many reviews both on the AAA Trip Tik sight and here and I called each hotel and asked about pets and bed bugs. This hotel accepted pets at no extra charge. While I had asked for a first level room, I was given a 2nd level but I didn't complain or ask to change. I appriciated the quiet of not having someone noisy above.

We had a very large room and bathroom. While the decor was old fashion it was more than adaquit. We were very pleased. It was late and cool in the room. I told my husband that the heat was not working but we like it cool for sleeping. It was his error as there are two parts to the heat...both on the wall and by the window at the heater! We felt silly but happy that I could give a great review.

The lobby when checking in was warm and friendly with great service and lots of seats by a fire. This is where they serve the continental breakfast. We met and talked with a very sweet lady who worked the breakfast. She informed us that new owners just took over and they were trying to renovate and upgrade. I thought it was fine as it was. I hope the prices don't go up! Breakfast had everything but eggs. It was super plentiful and we even took a snack to go.

Room Tip: Second floor are quieter but lower floors easier with a dog.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bruce D, Manager at Lord Amherst Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your pleasant visit to the Lord Amherst. We're glad you were comfortable in the guest room and found the breakfast plentiful. Yes, the new ownership is making some improvements and they are certainly aware of the need to keep the price affordable. We greatly appreciate the feedback.

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Boynton Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Just off the New York State Thruway in the Buffalo suburb of Amherst, the Lord Amherst Motor Hotel is a real find. It is well maintained with wide halls and spacious rooms. Our bed was excellent and the windows open which is rare in newer buildings.

The lobby was inviting and comfortable, but best of all the adjacent, independent restaurant Sonoma was very good.

In addition to all this, the room rate was quite attractive thanks to a discount in one of the travel guides we picked up on the Thruway.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back avoid street noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

There is nothing special about this hotel.
The rooms were ok and i may not go back to this hotel.
This is very old hotel .
For the cost that i payed i could have got a better deal. For one going to Niagara falls i would recommend booking something well in advance and avoid going on long weekends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Nice location, the people were friendly but this is an old hotel. Very few updates. Bed frames were sagging. We paid $109.00 for weekend nights. Should have been $70 to $80.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I should start by saying that the old adage - "you get what you pay for" - rings true for this hotel. It is inexpensive, which is good, but it has issues, which is not.

The rooms are large and the bed (a king) was fine. Others in our group had rooms with two double beds, and except for one complaint about creakiness, the beds seemed to be ok. However, the same could not be said of the bathrooms. Ours was in serious need of repair. The ceiling had mildew on it, the tub was not clean, the toilet moved when we sat down and the two sinks - one in the bathroom and one in the room itself - both dripped. None of the outlets other than the ones in the bathroom were usable - no plug would stay in! I've never quite seen that before. There are heat lights in the bathroom, but beware - the ceilings are low and the lights are very, very hot, so if you're over 5'9", you could burn the top of your head.

The breakfast was as ordinary as they come - bagels, bread, a few boxes of cereal, mini muffins, a couple of pastries and coffee/tea/juice. There were some pieces of fruit out, but they looked like they had been there for several weeks.

The hotel has two floors, and our room was on the first floor. The door key fits into the door handle (big, old keys, not key cards, so woe is you if you lose one - and they have numbers on them, so if you lose them, you might find a visitor in your room...) and not the deadbolt. I have to say that I did not feel particularly secure in that room, as I sensed that anyone could have jimmied that lock and come in. Had I been alone, I would definitely have asked for a room on the second floor.

The outdoor pool area was clean and nice enough. There is a restaurant next door, but we didn't use it.

This place would be fine if your expectations are for an inexpensive, no frills place. If you set the bar at average to low, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I've been to this property twice and I had a great service on both occasions. Love the wireless internet and the free continental breakfast. The property is well kept. Yes it needs to have a bit of a modern update but it is clean and comfortable. The also have an outdoor pool that looks to be in great condition.

Overall it was a great deal!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our experiance with this hotel was 'Good'.We recommend this place for a short stay of 1-2 nights.More over Its near to Niagara falls(17 miles).

The room was old,but in good condition.We never faced any issues with bed and it was comfortable.Breakfast was good too.

Overall,value for money and best place for a short stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lord Amherst Hotel? Share your experiences!