“Miombo felt like home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Miombo Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hwange
Miombo Safari Camp
You added Miombo Safari Camp to your Saves list
Dete Road, Hwange, Zimbabwe (Formerly Miombo Lodge)   |
York, United Kingdom
“Miombo felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We sadly only stayed for one night at Miombo, but (had we been able to find a cash point) would have stayed for much longer and changed our entire holiday plans just to spend more time there. The food was outstanding (and they catered for my diabetic low-carb diet), the guides incredible and the accommodation beautiful. If I could be there right now, I would be.

Room Tip: Ndlovu was great for watching midnight visitors to the waterhole!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bayern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Miombo Lodge is a very cosy lodge close to Dete. I spent 3 nights there and slept in one of the treehouses with a balcony and a view to the waterhole.
The waterhole, however, was not very busy during the day.

The furniture in the treehouse is simple but nice. There are even tea making facilities. Only the mosquito net had many holes and needed to be replaced urgently. Especially one night when the room service switched the lamp inside the mosquito net on, all the mosquitos were INSIDE the net when I came back to the room after dinner...

The treehouse is built of wood and straw and one has to take into consideration that obviously there are a lot of holes and slots for many small animals to come in and go out as they like. In fact, however, except for those mosquitos and one big spider I did not see a lot of animals inside the house. I still found my accommodation friendly and nice.

All meals are taking place on one big table together with the other guests. Meals have always been good during my stay.
There is also a table full of books about wildlife, by which you can always find out the exact names of the animals you saw during your safaris.

I specially liked the friendly, quiet atmosphere in this lodge and the friendly staff. Bernard, who cared for lodging and meals, and Stephen, the safari guide, were both very kind and polite and extremely helpful. Stephen is a very good tourguide who could spot lions from a very long distance when only 2 ear tops of the cats were visible at all.
I would like to thank them again for my wonderful stay. I was really sad when I had to leave this friendly place.

However, I have to complain about one thing: Booking my stay in Miombo Lodge was extremely difficult. Obviously the emails are not arriving in the lodge itself but in an office somewhere else (I think in Victoria Falls). Those people could only offer me all-inclusive-prices and did not react on my inquiry for separate prices for night, meals, safaris. They were very lazy in answering at all, and I never received an answer to my questions about the single cost of e.g. safaris or staying overnight without safaris. (I had planned something else for 2 of my days there.)

However, they gave me good advice about the Pathfinder Bus which took me from Victoria Falls to Hwange Safari Lodge. Miombo Lodge even made the booking for me and picked me up from Hwange Safari Lodge and took me to their lodge. This arrangement was excellent.

So my opinion is: Once you succeeded to book Miombo Lodge, the stay there is very recommendable. I would go there any time again.

One other advice: You cannot pay with credit cards, you need money in cash (US Dollar or even Pula or Rand).

And take into consideration that Miombo Lodge is outside Hwange Safari Lodge, so for safaris into Hwange National Park it takes approx. 20 min to the entrance every time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
safaripartners, Owner at Miombo Safari Camp, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hello Birgit,

Firstly let me thank you for staying with us at Miombo. We are thrilled you enjoyed our gem of a place situated close to Hwange NP.

I'm glad you enjoyed your few of our delightful waterhole. As with most waterholes in camp we do not see much during the day, but in the evenings we are lucky to have substantial elephants and buffalo visit us almost every night.

In réponse to your comments about the mosquito net, we are happy to report these have been replaced and is part of our general maintenance, my apologies that this was not caught before your stay.

You are correct, our reservations team is in nearby Victoria Falls which is better situated for organizing transfers, activities and reliable internet service. I have spoken to Sharlene with whom you dealt and she assures me that your questions and queries were answered in a timely manner, I'm sorry if this was not your impression and we will strive to welcome you and anyone else to our cozy little spot, Moimbo.

Warm Regards,
Chris Ronneseth - Part Owner, Miombo Saafri Camp.
Clanwilliam, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Situated on the boundary of Hwange National Park 2 hours from Victoria Falls and a few kilometers from Hwange park entrance. We stayed for 2 nights and were really impressed. Great personal experience for a very reasonable price. We stayed in a tree house that overlook a waterhole. They offer 3 good meals a day and all clients eat together at a large dining table. As a special treat they arranged the Ingonyama performing troupe after dinner on our last night and I was very impressed with their true and artistic impersonation of wild animals. It can be arranged at an additional cost during your stay. We were privileged to meet Sharon Pincott, she works closely with the Presidential elephant herd on a daily basis. We did a game drive on Hwange Estate, home range of the presidential elephant herd, made famous internationally by Sharon Pincott who resides in a cottage at Miombo. Usually an Elephant drive to meet the Presidential herd will be done by the guides of Miombo and not by Sharon. On our drive with her we spotted a newly born baby elephant and as it was part of the “W” family we named her Whisper. You can read all about Sharon’s cause to save the Presidential elephants at: http://www.sharonpincott.com/Presidential_Elephants.html or visit her Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/PresidentialElephantsZim. That afternoon close to Miombo we visited the Painted Dog Centre which is included in the fully inclusive rate. http://www.painteddog.org/ – Painted Dog Conservation (PDC) works to save the endangered African wild dog it is an African wild dog research project in Hwange NationalPark. A great option to get closer to the wild life inside the park is also to combine your stay at Miombo with a Mobile safari inside the Hwange Park (at an additional cost and need to be pre-arranged) I think I will opt for that in high season during the drier months between July and September on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights here and went all inclusive so we could go on all the game drives. Our first night one of our couples stayed in the honeymoon suite. Wow, how lovely and luxurious. However We swapped to be closer to our friends for day 2 and 3 and stayed in the very rustic raised rooms. Although this was like sleeping in the shed or the treehouse at the bottom of our garden the views from the balcony over the waterhole were the best. Think we probably frightened off most animals with our giggling after dinner and wine !! The waterhole pump had broken and needed replacing which probably stopped animals visiting as it was just mud, but we did get up close with a pair of buffalo every night and a visit by a lone elephant and kudu. The small camp was very friendly and it was easy to meet other guests who came from US and UK. The camp was a bit far from Hwange main camp so each morning and evening there was a 30 min drive before you entered the park but we still saw animals outside including the excellent spotting one morning of a male lion. Well done Shadrack our guide for that one.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nevada City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stay 3 nights and had an exceptional wonderful time. Can not wait to return. Great food, wonderful staff, fantastic experience. Our safari guide was outstanding and found wonderful experiences with the animals. He put us right in the middle of an elephant herd and we could have touched them, same with a herd of 40 giraffes. We also had a similar experience with a lion. This safargi lodge os greatly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had two nights at the lodge. We spent one night at the honey moon suite where I couldn't control my excitement. What a beautiful, secluded gem. Sitting in the gleaming white roll top bath looking at the view out of the windows in to the bush was an absolute treat. We felt a million miles away from anyone, until the sound of the drums called us to the table for dinner! We moved in to a small round house for the second night which was a small space but smartly presented with a thatched roof, fan, towels, soaps and mossy nets. There was a little outdoor seating space too.

For the next part I have stolen the write up from LS13 as I agree with the content.

"The food at the lodge was absolutely fantastic. The chefs, David and toks have both worked at big hotels/ restaurants and are obviously well qualified . The food was tasty and imaginative and David always came out prior to the meal to announce the menu- a nice touch .

The staff at the hotel were great- really friendly and chatty and not in a forced - ' you WILL be nice to the guests' kind of way. They all took time to talk and tell you about their lives and ask about your own country .

Obviously the reason for visiting Hwange us to visit the national park and this was one area I would only rate as 'okay'. The lodge is situated just outside the park on a long, long straight road which seemed to go on for ever. This feeling was increased as our guide always drove it at around 25 km/h which meant a 35 minute drive to and from the park. With formalities of getting in and out this meant your 3 hour game drive became only about 90 minutes in the park.

Also the vehicle used had a sealed cab which meant the guide had to stop and turn off the engine to tell us anything, which consequently meant we probably missed a lot of small details/ anecdotes which I like when doing a game drive. Perhaps unfairly , I tend to rate a guide on his ability to spot things I would have missed eg a leopard high in the branches of a tree which the untrained eye struggles to spot- even when you've been told its there. We went on 4 game drives but our guide didn't spot anything that I hadn't already noticed . That may have been due to their being no concealed game nearby but our man had no binoculars which is always going to make it difficult to spot the best concealed beasts."

Back to my own writing..
One thing I will add is that I think the guide really did try his best and did know of areas where we should be seeing certain animals. A pride of 9 lions lying on the road on the way out of the park was just wonderful!!
Be prepared for a 20$ per person per day entry fee to the park. (cheaper for residents of Zim)

Room Tip: If you don't mind the extra expense definitely go for the honey moon suite or next choose the ne...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us at Miombo. We are glad you enjoyed your camp and the delicious meals and delightful accommodations we have.

With regards to your comments about the game drives. We are situated a 20 minute drive from the park gate. Although we must make this drive as others have commented we often see game on the road on our way to the main park. A normal game drive in the park lasts generally 2.5 - 3 hours in the park itself. We also have access to game viewing on Hwange Estate right across the road for clients who would like to do something a little closer.

Additionally we do have our own open vehicle which does not have a closed cab now and this allows our clients to listed to our knowledgeable wildlife guide and ask questions as they please.

We look forward to hosting you in the future at Miombo.

Chris Ronneseth
Part-Owner, Miombo Safari Camp.
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A last minute change of plans left us without accommodation at Hwange NP and Lorrie from Lorries B&b at vic falls recommended Miombo. We went for the all inclusive option at $175 per person per night- hugely expensive for us but included all meals, drinks and game drives so we reckoned that was the best value overall.
We took the bus from vic falls to hwange safari lodge and were collected from there and taken to Miombo which was about 30mins away.

First impressions were of an open plan reception / restaurant area, tastefully decorated and with a selection of wildlife books on a table surrounded by armchairs. A small pool was in the foreground and the rooms were well spaced and situated in the surrounding bush.

We had opted for one of the new treehouses and this was a huge safari tent reached by wooden stairs, with a balcony overlooking the illuminated water hole. Everything was tastefully designed and clean and there were no holes in any of the insect screens on the windows. It gave the impression if being new and we later learnt that the new treehouses were built in late 2011. The best aspect of the room was the bed- large and comfy with crisp clean sheets and quilt (needed as got cool at night) and a good mosquito net. The best bed we slept in on our trip!

The lodge is small, with a maximum capacity of 16 which gives it an intimate feel. All guests eat together at one big table which can be good as it enables you to meet other guests, or bad if you want some privacy. When we stayed, there was just one other couple plus Simon the manager sharing the dinner table with us. We got on well with them so it was ok but I guess the level of enjoyment of your stay could be impacted if you were forced to be in close proximity with people you didn't actually like, or couldn't communicate with.

As mentioned earlier the camp has its own water hole and we were lucky on our first night and two elephants visited. Bush bucks and monkeys are also usually around.

In summary, Miombo is expensive but less so than many lodges in the area . It's a nice place with great food and really friendly staff and good standard of accommodation. Some people may find the group dining intrusive though and in my view they maybe need to invest in a new safari vehicle in order to improve the game drive experience a little.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Miombo Safari Camp? Share your experiences!