“A really special place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Livingstone
London, United Kingdom
“A really special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

What a wonderful place, can't wait to go again. Staff were great, very friendly. One of the best places ever. Evening cruise was very special - saw elephants crossing the river, lovely walk down to the Falls.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

788 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great location, good service and lovely - albeit small - rooms but let down by average dining and a sub-standard wine list (overpriced, low quality SA wines). And what is with the Nescafe sachets in the room?!? It is the small things that can made and break the wow factor. It is also a great shame that a property this size has no fitness facilities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was our last stop on our African trip and what a way to finish! The Royal Livingstone Hotel was like stepping back in time. The staff are all dressed in full Colonial attire which fits in well with their High Tea.
Our rooms were lovely with a terrific view of the Zambezi river. The meals were outstanding as well as the service. But the location is what is really off the charts. As the hotel sits on a game reserve it is not unusual to have monkeys on the grounds (or your balcony) and a herd of Zebra walking by (check out the attached photos). The sunsets by the waterfront bar are phenomenal and you can hear the sound of Victoria Falls (walking distance by the way) while watching the hippos as the talk to each other. As a guest of the hotel admission to the falls is free and there were lots of activities to do including Devils Pool (not to be missed) and a terrific private jungle cruise. Although we didn't have time there is also elephant rides, golf and so much more.
We stayed in a lot of lovely hotels on this trip and this one was definitely a highlight.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a view of the river and on a higher floor (I believe there are only 2...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have just recently returned from Victoria Falls and have been raving about it. From the moment I arrived I felt very welcomed. I was touched by the personal greetings and the warmth extended to me by the GM, Joanne Selby, the Hotel Manager, Guillaume Durand and the entire staff! They are professional, efficient, friendly and most willing to assist. My butler, Jonathan, is exceptional and very attentive to my needs. You can't ask for a better location to the Falls and the Zambezi River. My 3 nights at the Royal Livingston have been most pleasant and comfortable. It is just amazing to watch the Sunset and listen to the sound of the rushing water from the Zambezi River. The impalas, giraffes and the monkeys roam freely in the garden! It was a wonderful experience and I went away with fond memories! I highly recommend staying at the Royal Livingston Hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
bromsgrove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

... & I am fortunate to have stayed in a few. Greeted by the staff with a warm welcome of hand massages for the 4 of us (my wife & I travelled with my parents) and a cool glass of iced tea which was just the job after travelling from the UK via JoBurg to Zambia non-stop.

My first view as I walked into the hotel was the lush green grass and the Zambezi which is breath taking. We were taken on a golf buggy to our room, the luggage followed promptly and it was here we met out butler Anthony who was there to take care of everything we wanted (although we declined the bungee jump from the gorge bridge!!) and he showed us around our room which was spotless, airy and of excellent quality.

Everything about this place is quality, the dining, the breakfast, the staff (Butlers Anthony & Henry, Jack at the pool, all the guys at the sun deck and all the restaurant staff and not forgetting Edward whose uniform you have to see to believe). Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
The most amazing things about the hotel is the proximity to Victoria Falls whose mist you can see in the distance even in November when the flow is low and the zebra, giraffe, monkeys & impala that are an almost permanent feature of the hotel.

One of our highlights was bumping into the hotel’s very own Dr Doolittle (Webster) who called the Zebra who then followed him along with Giraffe to an area of bush near the hotel where we were able to get up close to them along with the Impala. Talk about personal service.

Other great things about the hotel are; the short walk to the falls (around 10 minutes), the boat for Livingstone Island leaves from here, the deck beside the river where we sat and watched the sunset on several occasions with a cool drink, watching and listening to the nearby pod of hippos and not forgetting the massage in the tents at sunset with mirrors positioned so you do not miss the sunset when lying face down being massaged - absolute bliss!

So much more I could say, but I will stop here so I don’t bore the readers!

This is one hotel I did not want to leave and I will certainly return.

Room Tip: From what I saw they are all good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am back since yesterday and still full of wonderful emotions. The hotel is a very peaceful place to be suited on the edge of the zambezi river. The zebras, giraffes, impalas and monkeys walking next to you in the garden - is already worth while booking this hotel. The staff is very friendly and happy to fullfill any possible wish you may have.
There is not a lot to do in the hotel - but we played cards every evening and enjoyed a nice bottle of wine chatting about the breath taking adventures we had done during the day. The walk with the lions was "out of this world" and I will surely NEVER forget this experience. The ride on the back of the elefant was also very very nice. The swim in the devils pool is a MUST - my heart is still beating and I am still very proud of myself, that I did it! The cruise with the African Queen on the Zamezi river could have been nicer (if the group of about 20 women had had 40 Gin Tonics less. They screamed at every little branch of a tree in the water - believing it to be a hippo or crocodile...). My boyfriend enjoyed the flight with the helicopter most. I could have done without! Especially when the heli almost dived in to the Vic Falls.
Make sure to book a room near to the reception (for example 5073) otherwise you have quite a walk to the breakfast or dinner area (but they also pick you up whenever you ask for). We only booked breakfast which leaves no wishes open. We always skipped lunch and instead of dinner we always just had a nice salad or some mezze platters at the bar area. We never had High tea but it looked amazing. We will be back for sure in a few months.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is such a wonderful surprise when you arrive and there are giraffe's and zebras to greet you. It is an old world feeling with great service and an excellent location for a lot of entertainment.. Victoria Falls is a short walk for viewing. We had a screened veranda and had an entertaining time watching the velvet monkeys with their young playing. The dining was excellent as well as the breakfast that is included in your room price. You get the feeling of royalty with the service and smiles received from the staff. We loved it so much that we stayed there again on our way out of the country. It is a five star facility..

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room to be had. I did like the screened veranda and the bottom flo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Livingstone? Share your experiences!