“A wonderful relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shackletons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livingstone
Shackletons
You added Shackletons to your Saves list
Mwandi, Livingstone, Zambia   |
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A wonderful relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent 4 days at Shackleton's, doing drift bait fishing and relaxing in between. We enjoyed it thoroughly. Everyone at the lodge was friendly and incredibly helpful. Our chalet was spotless and beautifully done out with fish-themed bedlinen- lots of little touches which enhanced our experience. Food excellent.
The weather was a little unco-operative when it came to the fishing, but I managed to land a 4kg tiger and am over the moon as it was my first one. Guide Remi was very patient with us- two relative novices.
We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Durban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Amazing time at Shackletons for 4 days.
We fished all day and ate some amazing food. The accommodation is very comfortable and the food is home made and delicious!!
The staff are all local so it's great to see the upliftment of the area.

The guides are full of wonderful stories of tiger fish caught and lost and are so helpful with fishing tips

An amazing experience I would recommend to anyone looking for adventure!

Stayed January 2014
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Our group of 17 had an unbelievable 4 days. The accomodation was great. The food prepared by Howard,Sherie and their kitchen staff was fantastic. The lodge staff and bar men were also great. Nothing was too much to ask of them,they were friendly and willing to go the extra mile.

The tiger fishing was just too good to be true. Our guides were ready and waiting for us every morning at 6am. Cooler boxes were packed,bait was sorted,tackle was all taken care of. Just had to wake up and step into the boat. The fish were biting all day and the guides know the river really well. It really was an memorable and fantastic experience. A must for every keen fisherman

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great fishing had for 5 days on the mighty Zambezi, landed some good Tiger, Bream and Catfish. Accomodation superb, food excellent, all staff friendly and very helpful, very good guides, good working boats. The owner, however, does need some lessons in 'people's skills', if only his attitude was as good as his Manager / Manageress and staff it would be an all round 100% venue !

Room Tip: All have river facing views, so all are great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Pietermaritzburg KZN Natal South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Best fishing on the Zambezi ever - 2nd to 9th June 2013! Every year for the past 5 years I have been lucky enough to take one or two trips per season fishing on the Zambezi with a guide called Haydn and a group of like-minded fly fishermen. We have stayed on a houseboat a couple of times and at two other places on the river banks. This was our third stay at Shackletons and the best fishing we have ever had - for all of us. One of the group caught a 17pound tiger on fly on the first day and I thought that he had the trophy for the biggest fish of the week in his bag. We all caught lots of double figure fish and then a couple of days later I caught a 18.5 pound tiger myself on fly. I was over the moon and am still smiling!

This spot has always been good but it seems to improve every year. The boats are good - Evans our guide was fantastic and the food and service all fantastic. Staff are all so attentive and helpful - a really well managed lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tamworth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

So great to be back and to catch up with the wonderful happy, helpful, respectful staff and community. Nothing is too much trouble for these guys.
The rooms are very comfortable and the recent addition of solar lights I found really helpful as the thatch roofs make the rooms a bit dark.
Others have commented on the linen.... I agree, lovely embroidered sheets pillowslips and cushions look so nice. There are also plenty of towels and also towels provided by the pool.
The rooms have a safe, also a new addition is a multi power plug adapter (although I always take my own)
The chefs provide excellent meals and catered so well for a few food intolerances within our group.
Crispen (fishing guide) came out of hospital soon after we arrived. So good to see him and hope he continues to grow stronger and will be able to return to work. The fishing guides are great people and I learn so much about their culture from conversations whilst out fishing.
Early May the water was quite high and most people were catching smaller fish under 1kg with only off ones over that. I caught 25 over 6 afternoons with the largest 4kg. Was drift (a bit ho hum for me) spin and trolling. As the water dropped quite quickly the fishing improved. I was there 2 weeks.... not long enough!
Spent most mornings at the Sooka Community School taking some art and sewing classes to help the teachers.

Room Tip: All rooms have view of the oxbow off the Zambezi. Room nearest boat 'harbour' (Skimmer) is...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Shackleton provided the exact experience I was seeking, a true fishing lodge, but one which was suitable for my daughter who was traveling with me.Howard and his staff provided exemplary service and wonderful food. Catching a tiger fish was my first priority which was immediately addressed by Evan within minutes of our arrival. I would clearly return on my next visit to Africa.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shackletons? Share your experiences!