“Very dated hotel in need of renovation......” 3 of 5 stars

Hai Au Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   576 Cua Dai Street, Hoi An 084, Vietnam   |
Ranked #12 of 77 hotels in Hoi An
London, United Kingdom
“Very dated hotel in need of renovation......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights at the Hai Au Hotel in mid-April 2013.

I'm really surprised at its lofty position on Tripadvisor as I have to say for us, the hotel had good points but also many bad points. We booked into a Superior Double room and were originally given the family room on the top floor. The room was enormous with a huge double bed (2 twins pushed together) and a separate single bed. The room was very well presented with petals on the bed covers and towels moulded into swans-a nice touch. They also gave out complimentary water each day and a plate of fresh fruit in the fridge on arrival.

The family room had a small balcony, wardrobe with safe, a tv with DVD player, aircon, a minibar, a computer, a separate free standing table and 2 chairs and tea/ coffee making facilities. The bathroom was dated with a bath/ shower and some quite old fixtures and fittings. From an initial viewpoint though, the room was decent. It was only when you looked closer that you realise how dated it is. The wallpaper in some areas (mainly around the aircon unit) was a bit ragged and falling off the wall and the plug points behind the beds must have been there for decades. They were just a mass of wires. One of the plugs didn't work at all and both of the lamp bulbs had blown within 5 minutes.

That night when we returned from dinner, we were treated to the delightful sounds of the hotel water tank motor kicking in every 30 seconds for varying lengths of time on the roof right above our bedroom. To say it was irritating was an understatement! To the staff's credit they moved us immediately to a standard double for the night which was fine (still dated but more than comfortable) and then into a different Superior Double room the next day. This room was dated like the first one and had the same issues with wallpaper peeling off the wall around the aircon unit and very old and dodgy looking electrics. It also had a bath/ shower that leaked water all over the floor every time you used it. So, all in all, the 3 rooms we stayed in were large and relatively comfortable, but very dated and in desperate need of some renovation.

The breakfast buffet was a bit laughable to be honest and I'm amazed it has received some credit on Tripadvisor. It consisted of a small buffet of mostly uncovered western and Asian food including fruit, tea/ coffee and juice. Why these hotels don't cover all their buffet food up is totally beyond me! The "eggs" cooked any style consisted of 1 egg cooked any style which is unbelievably stingy!!

The hotel is not in the best location. It's a good 20 minute walk to the old town although the hotel does hire out bikes for a dollar a day and they're in fairly good shape. You have to hire these though (or a motorbike) as the walk is too far in my opinion. There are many other hotels in much better locations in my opinion.

There is no lift so be prepared for a hike if you are roomed on the higher floors.

What saved this hotel from a complete capitulation were the services of the staff. They were all very sweet and spoke excellent English. They were helpful with maps, very professional in moving us from our room and apologetic too. They arranged onward train tickets for us to Nha Trang (but watch out for the commission!), turned some laundry around for us really quickly, and were always smiling, greeting us by first names whenever we arrived or left the hotel.

I just feel slightly sympathetic for them as their services are not matched by those of the hotel which as I've said already is in serious need of renovation. For the price and given that we'd just spent a few nights down the road at the much better and same priced Vinh Hung 3 Hotel, I expected a lot more. I would not stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

941 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The girls running it were just lovely and very helpful. Our room was on the bottom floor, close to reception and we didn't ever feel there was any problem with noise, only the odd scrape of a chair above. The room was large, nicely decorated with a good bathroom. The flower petal artistic arrangement on the beds was absolutely beautiful. The breakfast was fine, was surprised fries were there! The hotel is a decent walk to the old town but you know that before you book. We arrived early after an overnight train into Danang. After we checked in the staff said, "help yourself to breakfast, no charge", which I thought was a nice touch to begin our stay. We have stayed in many hotels and my son and I agreed these staff would have to be the friendliest we have had, no question!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at Hai Au for 4 nights, when we arrived the staff were super friendly. They gave us a great room with balcony overlooking local football pitch. The room was immaculate with beautiful towel swans on our beds and flower petals. We had a dvd player, free water and a tv that worked. Aircon worked well. The staff remembered our names as per our passports, we tried using our actual names (different to the passport) but obviously they could not actually remember our names! It’s a nice touch but nothing special.
The breakfast was excellent, the best we had in Vietnam in this price range, some Vietnamese dishes, eggs however you like them a range of fruit and juices, bacon, sausage and pastries local and western. Very nice indeed.
The location is excellent. A walk into the old town (15 minutes) and a short bicylce ride to Cau Dai Beach (4 km).

Problem 1: there was a dog outside in the mornings that would bark for hours. No sleep from there onwards. The hotel itself with its high ceilings and marble floors makes the rooms very noisy at night i.e. you can hear people walking up the stairs and doors slamming from inside the room. Sleep was very disturbed.

Problem 2: On day 2 they started drilling and knocking concrete walls out in the room above us. When we asked when it would stop they said it would continue all day. When it became unbearable we asked to be moved to another room. They were helpful in transferring us to another one. This one on the main road and was smaller. TV did not work and no DVD player. So for 3 or our 4 nights we did not have the superior room we were first allocated. Disappointing!

Problem 3: When we were about to check out and needed to get back to Danang to catch a flight to HCMC and I took my credit card out they pointed to a sign stuck to the counter that said no credit cards. I was surprised as booking.com said I could pay by credit card. When I asked them why they had not told me this on arrival they simply responded that we should have noticed the sign ourselves on the counter. Shocking. Ok so under time constraints, in which I was freaking out as we had a flight to catch, they allowed my husband and myself to borrow bicycles from the hotel. We rushed off to the nearest bank 4 km down the road according to the hotel to get cash. My husband noticed they had given him a faulty bicycle with a broken pedal. I had to go ahead while he walked the bicycle back to the hotel. They insisted he pay for breaking their bicycle. They gave it to us like that! We refused to pay for it. I paid the bill and left, at that point the once very friendly staff were quite somber indeed.

My advice is just be aware of the pitfalls. Perhaps we struck it badly. The hotel can be super great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
La Ciotat, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I booked this hotel after staying in the Hotel Elegance Ruby in Hanoi, which, I'll grant you, is an extraordinarily high standard to live up to, based on reviews I'd read on tripadvisor. I guess sometimes, it's hard to know who is writing and from what perspective. This place is great if you are travelling on a budget and, at the moment, don't care that the entire north side of the building is open and under construction. If you don't mind 20 or more construction workers walking up and down and outside your room, and the mud trail they leave. The room is adequate, but dated. The pretty swan and flowers featured on their homepage, were on the somewhat older bed. The pool is small, and in the middle of the hotel, so all the workers were back and forth, back and forth having a perv or a joke, or both! For the money, there are much better hotels out there.

Room Tip: Go to the Ancient Hotel, lots of perks, the best of which is, off the street, beautiful gardens and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Hai Au Hotel is a slice of magic! The wonderful women behind the counter have such a delightful sense of humour and you immediately feel like an honoured guest. Our room had a beautiful old-world feel, with a small balcony overlooking a quiet side-street. The superb breakfasts in the front courtyard are a perfect way to begin the day, and the staff are always on hand with a smile, or with advice on any local tour. This hotel truly encapsulates the spirit of Hoi An. Pure delight! Perfect in so many ways!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor with a back room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Yiwu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We've stayed at Hai Au hotel for a week and enjoyed everyday. They are so incredible friendly, remember every one's name, help you with everything! We wanted to buy motorbikes and they provided us a local motorbike shop. I needed to get my bag fixed, their 'handy-man' went to the market for me and fixed it there. Great service! The restaurant is also amazing. Breakfast is perfect, a lot of choice! Rooms are clean, spacious, airconditioning and clean towels. You can also ask for beach towels!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel was recommended to us by a friend, and he still his!
Fantastic staff very helpful, they make you feel like you have stayed their many times.
Rooms spacious, clean, breakfast good, we even got breakfast on the morning we arrived.
A good example of hotels should be like.
We arranged airport pick up to save having to haggle at the airport, like wise on the return, we stopped off at marble mountain, no problem for the driver.

Room Tip: its a very pleasant place to stay
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hai Au Hotel? Share your experiences!