“A lovely trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cham Island (Cu Lao Cham)

Cham Island (Cu Lao Cham)
Hoi An, Vietnam
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 35 attractions in Hoi An
Type: Islands
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cham islands are 15km from Cua Dai. There are seven islands altogether named according to their shape or characteristics. They are called Lao ( pear ), Dai ( long ), La ( leaf), Kho ( dry ),Tai ( ear ),Mo ( tomb ) and Nom ( East Wind ). They have good climate, cool the year round, trees and animals as well as marine life are plentiful here. On the island, there are precious bird nests while under the water, the coral is marvelous. There are also scenic spots around the island, such as Suoi Tinh ( Love stream), Suoi Ong ( Sir’s stream ), Hon Chong ( Piled up rocks ),Hang Ba ( The lady’s cave ). the island is also surrounded by very nice beaches with clean white sand and transparent, cool water.
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“A lovely trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We took a boat to Cham Island for a day of snorkelling. The islands are beautiful. The water however is a bit cloudy, but has some lovely coral and colourful fish.

• Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
13 attraction reviews
“Went for an afternoon after scuba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stopped on the islands after diving in the morning. Had lunch as part of the package and the food was Vietnamese and quite tasty. The beach has plenty of deck chairs and you can sit and relax for a bit. There weren't many other people about when we went, whcih made it all the more pleasant. The water is clean looking and there isn't much litter about. Better than the waters in Halong Bay in my experience. Overall quite pleasant.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Interesting but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Unfortunately this was the least successful thing that we did in Hoi An. And we were so looking forward to it too. We booked a half day snorkelling tour with Cham Island tours but had less than half an hour in the water! The visibility was extremely disappointing and the snorkelling site was extremely over crowded. We couldn't see a thing and unfortunately I managed to get stung by a jelly fish while I was at it. Perhaps having snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef, has spoiled us! The walking tour around the village and to the temple was somewhat uninspiring also. The boat ride although fast, was quite choppy and at times frightening. The guide was friendly and helpful though and the scenery on the boat trip there and back was stunning. The food and location at lunch was also quite good. Maybe if the water visibility had been better, the experience may have been better. It might be worth checking if other companies go to less crowded spots.

Visited April 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
7 attraction reviews
“No longer a paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I'm so in love with this island that i've visited it 4 times. I'm Vietnamese and i do want to promote my country but i have to be honest, I have to admit that the fourth one make me too disappointed. The island is too crowded with local tourist, especially people from the north of Vietnam. They almost destroy the island with noise pollution, plastic bag and soft drink can. The beach still nice but you can't relax anymore. I went to snorkeling. It's a shame! Nothing to see but dead coral. I'm feel bad to see the island is going to die. If you really want to visit this island, dont buy a tour, just discover it by yourself and stay away from the crowd.

“Bai Huong Homestay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you would like to see and experience life in a small fishing village, unspoiled by development and where the pace of life is as it always has been, then I can highly recommend the Bai Huong Homestay (mentioned by Vanessa, 12 December 2011). I took my mother here as I was keen to show her a different side to Vietnam where life continues in much the same way as it has done for generations. You won't find five star hotels or designer shopping boutiques, but will gain an insight into the real life of a working fishing village and get to meet the wonderful people that live there. The hospitality and warmth I experienced in Bai Huong helped make my time there the most meaningful of all my time in south east Asia. A genuinely unforgettable experience.

Visited April 2013