We stayed for 2 nights at another beachfront hotel before checking into the Nam Hai. Locals in Hoi An speak of The Nam Hai in reverential tones, they would say "aaaaah.... The Nam Hai" .... like they were referring to some legend, and I have stayed at some pretty nice hotels (including 2 other GHM properties), so I couldn't really understand that reverential awe that they had for this hotel.
When we checked in, I began to understand. This is an absolutely stunning hotel. I have no words for the white sand beach (which they groom zealously so there are no footprints), the pool, the service - perfection. They were also very helpful in terms of buggy pick ups and drop-offs, and accommodating in terms of a late check-out to catch our 6pm flight back to Singapore.
Only two points of feedback:
1) The staff in general love children, but this hotel is NOT child-friendly. They have pools reserved for adults only (quiet pools), which i understand, given the average demographic staying there was over 50 from my visit). However, I took a moment to take photos of my 10 month old son seated on the deck chairs - we were not going in the pool or anything, mind you we were fully dressed. But the staff came over and said that the baby was not allowed to be in the pool vicinity. REALLY??? I understand that adults don't want kids splashing in the pool with them. But given that we were just sitting there enjoying the view, and we were the ONLY two people in the entire pool area as it was low season, I couldn't understand why they approached us and asked us to leave.
2) They will overcharge you for everything in the hotel: we asked for a pick up from our hotel (Fusion Danang about 10 minutes away), and given that we were paying $1,000 a night for a beachfront villa, you would think this could be arranged. I would have been happy to pay a transfer fee - maybe US$20 for the 10 minute trip, but we were quoted US$70 (!!!) for the pick up. So we booked a local taxi and paid US$4. When I arrived, I was hungry, so I order a bowl of beef pho (local noodles that cost about US$2 on the streets and US$7 in tourist restaurants). When the final bill came, with taxes in, I ended up paying about US$26 for the bowl of local noodles. Verdict: Stay at the Nam Hai, don't eat at the Nam Hai!
What else is good - proximity to the town (only 10 minutes away) which is pretty near given that the beach hotels stretch for about 25km along the same stretch. They had over 300 complimentary movies stored in their database, a library, etc. Service (apart from the poolside) is exceptional. They provided a baby bathrobe when we asked for a baby cot upon check in... WOW!!
I will be back. I love this hotel, I just won't be eating here with my baby any time soon.
- Also Known As:
- The Nam Hai Hotel Hoi An
- The Nam Hai Hotel
- Nam Hai Hoi An
- Nam Hai Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along a seemingly infinite stretch of sand, amidst Vietnam’s richest cultural heritage, a strand of sophisticated, visually striking villas lines the dramatic beachfront. Inspired by 2,500 years of history, The Nam Hai’s architecture and interior design presents a dramatic play on wind and water inspired by ancient feng shui philosophy and the grandeur of the Tu Doc royal tombs of Hue. Explore the nearby UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Hoi An, My Son and Hue with its Buddhist pagodas, royal tombs and historic citadels. Return to our calm, tropical shore on Ha My Beach to relax around three expansive swimming pools, in the spa on a lotus pond, over gourmet Eastern and Western cuisine or in the privacy of one of our 100 private retreats, elegantly finished with Vietnamese lacquer and diaphanous silk, some of which are served by a most attentive butler. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Splendia, Hotels.com, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, MrandMrsSmith, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your The Nam Hai Hoi An, a GHM hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.