“Absolute luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel

Save Saved
You added The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel to your Saves list
The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Hamlet 1, Dien Duong Village | Dien Ban District, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase
Ranked #1 of 79 hotels in Hoi An
Singapore, Singapore
“Absolute luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Truly a wonderful place to stay. We took a 3-bed villa, which consists of 3 individual sleeping suites (very generous size, with sitting, dressing and bathing areas) plus a huge pavilion with seating and dining areas. Also a very generous-sized private pool and garden, making use of the central pool unnecessary. My only criticism would be that there were no fridges in the pavilion, so to get a drink you had to go back to the bedrooms.

Our villa was some way back from the beach, so it was a few minutes sandy trek to the water despite it being advertised as beachfront, but China beach itself is almost deserted and pretty much perfect.

Service was good - you get your own butler who is always on call and can help arrange your days, as well as get you in-room food. It's a 15-minute ride into Hoi An itself, but we never had to wait long for the shuttle and you are encouraged to use your butler to book in advance.

I didn't use the spa but I did try the gym, which was spacious and well-equipped (although the TV was a bit iffy). The site is also so large that you can take a 30-minute run and not retrace your steps more than once. My wife and daughter had a massage and various beauty treatments and raved about the quality - value for money was reasonable too.

As others have noticed, the only real annoyance is the pricing at the restaurant. No question, it is excellent, high-end food, generally local fusion with western, but the contrast with the good Hoi An restaurants (and the best are also definite 5-stars) is so striking - you are paying 5 to 10 times as much just to eat in the hotel. So we ate in Hoi An every evening bar one.

We fully intend returning in 2014: the resort experience, combined with the beauty of Hoi An and the other local antiquities, plus the experience of local food and visiting the tailors make a brilliant 3 or 4 day getaway.

Room Tip: Do look at the diagram and ask for specific numbered villas. The resort is designed like the teeth o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Walter H, Manager at The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
It was lovely to read that the three bedroom pool villa suited the needs of your family holiday and that you felt well looked after by your Butler. The TVs in the gym will be checked at once to ensure they work properly and have a good quality signal.

As for prices of food and beverage offerings, we admit we do charge more in comparison to free standing restaurants in Hoi An, chiefly due to the fact that we use only high quality ingredients, conduct food preparations in an environment where strict hygiene of international standards is being followed, provide staff members with regular English lessons and other food and beverage related training, maintain impeccable surroundings with quality china, glass and silverware, to mention but a few examples – all of which have a certain cost associated with.

Thank you very much for your recent visit as well as the feedback provided. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the foreseeable future. Walter Hess, Resident Manager.

1,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had heard about the Nam Hai from a friend as well as a family member and my visit lived up to their positive reviews and those posted on TA.

The villa I stayed in was massive for one person and I loved the layout and luxury which was totally luxurious and suited my intention for a chill out get away.

One of the stand out experiences for me was my arrival. I came in a local taxi as I was coming from another hotel where I had been staying with a group of girls for a hens week celebration. Whilst I had provided an estimated arrival time, I was blown away when the guy who greeted me, opened the door of the taxi and welcomed me by my name. I don't know how they did it but it was impressive.

- The spa is phenomenal and the treatments were amongst some of the best I have ever had worldwide.
- The buffet breakfast had an excellent selection probably one of the best I have seen, with a good focus on healthy food choices as well as the indulgences.
- I only ate at the pool side restaurant and the food there was exceptional and beautifully presented.
- The guy who runs the early morning meditation and yoga was fantastic and provided a great start to the day.
- The wifi in the car that took me to the airport on departure was a brilliant touch as well.

I was incredibly impressed by the attitude of the staff and how they communicated well to ensure a high level of service delivery. I ordered a special drink by the pool on the first day of my stay and on the second day, the young guy who was looking after my area by the pool asked me whether I would like the same drink - he was not the same person who had served me the day before. A great demonstration of the great communication between the staff side and the strong focus on personalised service that was a consistent part of my Nam Hai experience.

Love the Nam Hai and will definitely go back!

Room Tip: If you don't want to have to get a buggy in to the central services, request a room close to the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a fantastic 3 nights stay at the hotel. It is every bit as good as the reviews suggest. It is a very nice place to stay with a lot of atmosphere. We also loved the hospitality and smile of the staff. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Nam Hai is probably the best resort I've stayed at. The free shuttle to the nearby heritage town of Hoi An (which takes 15 minutes) means you have the best of both worlds - a beautiful villa on a perfect white-sand beach with all mod-cons and a car-free ancient Southeast Asian trading port with fantastic street food and a glimpse of an Asia that has been left behind in the cities that most of us know. It's not cheap but from the resort-wide free wifi (including the car picking you up at the airport) to complimentary soft drinks in your fridge and use of the tennis courts as well as the gym, I would have rated it as good value if the sticker price of its spa and restaurants wasn't over the top. USD20 for a burger is off the big mac scale. With best-in-class banh mi available in town for USD1, even on a rainy-day, it just didn't make sense to try all that the Nam Hai had to offer. I'd still go back though, and would recommend it to you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I have (successfully) used Trip Advisor for many years and The Nam Hai is so amazing that it has motivated me to write my first review! We had high expectations of this hotel given its price vs other options in Vietnam and I am pleased to say it exceeded ALL our expectations and was worth every cent. It is so romantic we felt like we were on our honeymoon (and we werent). The beach is beutiful and its location to Hoi An old town is perfect.

Our beach front villa was stunning (but to be honest ALL the villas look to have pretty good views/outlooks so if you are wanting to go and can't afford the beachfront villa then go for a standard villa and you won't be disappointed). The rooms are incredibly well appointed with supervised divine bed, espresso machine, iPods that are connected to a fab sound system (or you can plug in your own) the large sunken bath was lovely, outside shower a novelty (especially at night time - showering under the stars is a must) and you get your own push bikes to ride around the large resort, FUN, we rode to/from breakfast every day. The villa even has sensors which subtly light the hall if you get up in the middle of the night to duck to the bathroom. They have honestly thought of everything!

The free flow Champagne at breakfast was a great way to start the day (giggling!). The staff are all lovely attentive and speak perfect English ... most all go out of their way to learn your name, particularly the pool staff if you are ordering frequent rounds. The current GM Anthony (new as of Jan this year i believe) is absolutely FABULOUS, he had incredibly high standards, he makes all guests feel welcome and sets the tone for the entire resort. We had trouble getting a taxi one night so Anthony kindly drove us into Hoi An - service above and beyond what you would expect. By comparison I stayed at the Westin in Melbourne 3 nights / week every week for almost SIX YEARS and only ever got a generic card and the occasional fruit bowl from their GM!

The Nam Hai recently acquired 5 brand new black X5 BMWs, I def recommended booking these to collect you from the airport so the luxury starts as soon as you get off the plane in Danang (our travel agent booked a cheaper transfer for us - regretfully - it was a dodgy old Corolla). If you do feel guilty about too much pool time and not enough culture .... the concierge arranged a private tour for us to go to My Son in the X5 ... i felt safe and comfortable in the hands of our driver (cant be said often in Vietnam!) and our guide was very knowledgable. They really go the extra mile at Nam Hai, our driver even greeted us with a cold wet towel after we had trekked through the My Son ruins .... Ahhhh indulgence and luxury even in the middle of nowhere!

The day spa is rated as one of the top 10 spas in the world ... Who would be crazy enough to come all this way and not drop another couple of hundred bucks checking it out?!?! We booked an hour foot reflexology followed by the Love Bath. During our treatment in the over water villa were so happy that we thought we were going to burst! Our only regret is that we didn't find enough time to go back there a second time during our 5 day stay.

The gym is world class, has everything. I probably should've gone more than once ....but I was so busy poolside (adults only poolside! Heaven)

It's worth taking a short 5 min walk along the beach to see the local bars and restaurants - VERY local, very cheap, beer was fine, we didnt eat there though.

The concierge has a map and list of restaurants and tailors they recommend in Hoi An which was very helpful. We went to Mango Rooms for a drink to watch the sunset and the lanterns being lit, it was lovely. White Marble was sensational for dinner and Morning Glory was good too and both were super cheap BUT the food at the Nam Hai is best hands down.

We are already trying to figure out when we can return.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter H, Manager at The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent holiday at The Nam Hai and for taking the time to submit your detailed review. It was a pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay from start to finish and felt well looked after by our staff as well as Mr. Anthony Gill, our General Manager. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon. Walter Hess, Resident Manager.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I had heard a lot about Nam Hai and watched their video. But it was even better than I thought it would be. True luxury. The staff was so superb, so the management must have a great training program. I never could figure out how to use the coffee machine in the room, and that was the only negtive. The details were delightful - antiques and flower arrangements in the guest rooms, the spa rooms open to a lagoon..... Perfect.

• Stayed August 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

A very enjoyable stay with the staff as attentive as possible, the villas are excellent clean and roomy. The swimming pool allocation don't make a great deal of sense and the family pool has to many jagged edges and sharp bits on the stairs, I ended up with cuts on my knees and feet, so I would not say ideal for families. Check in was poor even though we prearranged early check in. Reception very strange and not air conditioned

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Walter H, Manager at The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at The Nam Hai and for sharing your feedback. In regards to the pools, we are currently in process of having the ledges and the steps of all three pools smoothened so that they are comfortable, yet still slip resistant. As for the Reception building, ours is indeed an open-air structure similar to most Receptions of luxury resorts in tropical destinations and we do provide chilled towels as well as cool ginger tea as refreshments upon arrival. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused at the pool, the experienced delay at check in as well as the absence of air-conditioning at Reception. We trust these shortcomings did not mar an otherwise enjoyable family holiday. Once again, thank you very much for your visit and we are looking forward to welcoming you back. Walter Hess, Resident Manager.

Been to The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel? Share your experiences!