“Picture perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel

Save Saved
You added The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel to your Saves list
The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Hamlet 1, Dien Duong Village | Dien Ban District, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Hotel packages
Geneva, Switzerland
“Picture perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Arrival
We flew into Danang International airport from Kuala Lumpur in the late afternoon. Easy customs check but be sure to bring USD`s cash with you to pay for your visa. Being a bit nonchalant we were only carrying Swiss francs and Malay ringgits. Long story short, first of the plane but definitely last to enter Vietnam
Drive to the hotel is a very easy ride, takes about 30min if I recall well, I do remember how slooooooow everyone is driving on the roads. Upon arrival we were welcomed by cheerful locals and the Resident Manager Mr. Hess. While settling a few formalities we were offered cooled drinks and towels and an invitation for that night`s management cocktail before diner. Shortly after, a buggy dropped us off at our villa where our luggage had arrived already. Very smooth start!

The villa`s
We were staying in a 1 bedroom beachfront villa. These villa`s literally are on the shoreline. Nothing can beat the natural sound of waves while falling asleep at night. Very recommendable. The layout is rather atypical and inspired by traditional Vietnamese garden houses with an eggshell bad right behind the bed rather than in the bathroom. The used colors and materials are rather dark which creates a very cozy intimate environment.

Dining
There are two dining venues, almost opposite of each on one side of the massive (and impressive) resort pools. The evening of our arrival we decided to stay in-house for diner after having enjoyed mingling with other guests and staff at the cocktail. Kudos for the charming local F&B manager with Swiss roots, very knowledgeable man and we appreciated his food recommendations. Outdoor breakfast every morning was also a delight, several fresh juices, an extensive buffet spread topped with an a la carte with several egg dishes and pancakes/waffles. The beach restaurant was closed for refurbishment during our stay and was about to be re-open in the upcoming weeks. We didn’t really miss having the choice where to go for lunch/diner.

The resort impressed us right from the start with excellent pre-arrival assistance to sort out visa`s. We also appreciated the little talks with Mr. Hess on several occasions (great to exchange thoughts about wonderful Reethi Rah where Walter was working before) Nothing was too much trouble, for example one day there was a bit of noise near the pool, coming from the restaurant refurbishment and we were offered a villa with private pool to linger through the day. Turn down service was executed immaculate with lit candles all over the place, homemade chocolates, little notes and a summary sheet with reservations for next day`s spa-treatments or activities. If we had to give one (minor) critique is that the local staff was sometimes trying a bit too hard. Without exemption all of the staff we would interact with would ask us how long we were staying and if this was our first time in Vietnam. A lovely gesture of course and we appreciate this, but perhaps a bit tiring having to answer these very same questions over 20 times. Nevertheless, everyone was so eager to please and nice to us that we just played along and kept answering ;-)

Activities
We honestly didn’t do that many things, we were mainly there to relax and enjoy some beach/pool time. Of course we headed into beautiful Hoi An for one evening to stroll around and enjoy the sunset near the water. We were recommended a lovely local restaurant by the resort and absolutely loved that place.

Spa & Gym
Another highlight of our stay was our Spa experience. We enjoyed a couple’s massage in one of the floating treatment pavilions. After browsing through available treatments and aromatic oils to use we were escorted for a traditional pre massage foot wash after which we enjoyed an excellent massage by lovely skilled therapists. Highly recommended pampering.

Verdict
It was our first GHM experience and for us, the resort lived up to our expectations. Or better so exceeded !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Walter H, Manager at The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you very much for having included The Nam Hai on your itinerary through South East Asia and for taking the time to post a comprehensive review about your stay at the resort. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your visit from start to finish and had the opportunity to meet and interact with a number of our employees and we will pass on your compliments to the entire team. Furthermore, we will assist our employees in refining and mastering the fine art of conducting “small talk” with guests. Once again, thank you very much for your visit and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Walter Hess, Resident Manager.

1,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked a two bed villa for 5 nights and it was perfect. As others have mentioned if you have very young kids they may be unhappy being separated from the parents villa, but after one night our kids (12,10,7) were delighted to be away from us. The food at all restaurants was so good that even though we ventured to Hoi An for one meal (Morning Glory) we ended up eating every other meal at the hotel. The quality was so much better than local restaurants we could not go past it!
The only reason to ever leave your villa (book a pool villa, all the extra perks are so worth the money) is to get tailoring done at Hoi An. Don't leave this till your last day; although they do make the clothes in 24 hours you need to go back a few times for fittings and alterations.

With a pool villa you get a butler, ours Cuong, was so attentive yet didn't hang around, which was perfect.

We splurged on the beach BBQ dinner and it was called off due to rain/wind (which didn't really eventuate!) so we did the BBQ dinner in our villa which was lovely. There were 4 salads, lobster, prawns, fish and calamari, then chicken then lamb and angus beef. Then dessert! Don't eat lunch that day and do have the BBQ on the beach. It looked so romantic set up on the beach.......

This resort is the best we've stayed at in the world (and we've traveled Asia, Australia and Europe extensively). A week here should be on everyone's bucket list!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

It’s difficult to know where to start writing this.
Let me go through the downsides first – erm- none.
So on to the plus points – I don’t have enough time or room but -
The place is amazing.
The location on the beach was outstanding.
The airport pickup flawless to VIP standards.
Check in - an experience in efficiency . The transport to the villa spot on.
The villa- staggering was like living in a designer palace and the amazing thing every single thing you may want (plug adapters- etc etc) all in place already
The layout of the hotel grounds is amazing and its like a paradise on earth.
Restaurants extremely good and to be honest while not cheap – very fairly priced – you get what you pay for I always feel with food.
I could go on (and on).
I have said in reviews many times before staff make or break a hotel and this was so obvious at the Nam Hai. From the GM Mr Anthony Gill and his in house manager Walter, (I wont say down to) to the huge team of staff who make every minute here and experience every single person contributed to a wonderful experience. I had decided that I would mention some of the service superstars by name but that would be very unfair as every single staff member was outstanding.
Thank you all, you can be justifiably proud.

Room Tip: any room at the Nam Hai
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

After 3 amazing days at the Sun Peninsular in Da Nang I was more than impressed with our 3 totally relaxing days at the Nam Hai. A very different resort but equally as good and a tad more enjoyable for me as we had a beach front villa which was just sensational. Watching to sunrise from the comfort of bed was magical. I loved every minute of our stay & will be recommending the Nam Hai to my Brother for his up & coming honeymoon. I will definitely be returning & very soon I hope!

Room Tip: Beach front Villas close to the main areas are definitely the go.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter H, Manager at The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We were delighted to read that your enjoyed your stay at The Nam Hai and are considering recommending our resort to your brother and his future wife for their honeymoon. We would be happy to welcome them and provide them with an equally memorable stay. Thank you for your visit and we hope we will see you again soon. Walter Hess, Resident Manager.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Upon checking in at the Nam Hai the staff were incredibly attentive and the grounds proved amazing. Words do not do the views and facilities justice. We befriended several members of the staff during our stay and just loved the experience. My wife and I spent three nights in a beachfront villa and couldn't have been happier with the room or the view. I would recommend the beachfront option since some of the villas while technically on the sand were a bit removed from the ocean.

If I had to nitpick I found the meal and drink prices a bit excessive...I've paid less for food and drink at top hotels in very expensive cities but it was minor annoyance compared to the incredible experience.

• Stayed July 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here with another family July 2013. We each booked 1 bedroom pool villa (villas # 6030 and #6040). The room was perfect for our family (2 adults/1 child). My son slept on the daybed and we had a King bed.
This hotel is amazing! The staff here are the best in the industry. Everyone was so wonderful.
Our Butler, Hung, was very helpful. He booked everything for us and coordinated all the activities for both families. He even ironed my clothes and had our dirty clothes washed and folded.
We just came back and we already started talking about our next trip to Nam Hai.
Tips:
Book a villa (lots of great amenities with a villa)
Book spa treatment (my husband loved it so much, he booked a massage a day after his treatment)
Book a bike tour (super fun seeing the rice paddies and farms)

Room Tip: Book a pool villa.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Nam Hai is almost unbelievable. It is like they thought of everything!!!! From the minute you walked up to the front desk to the beautiful roses in your room. But first, I must tell you about the amazing manager of the Nam Hai. I had a raging sinus headache and and eye infection when I arrived. I was so pleased that they have a nurse on site. After seeing the nurse it was decided I needed medicine she did not have. The manager was able to get me into emergency care. When they told me when I could come in, the manager said it was not soon enough. She called them back and got me in sooner. She arranged a car to take me to the clinic. It sure saved my vacation. I will always be grateful to her. I feel care and concern! After I got back from my appointment she called me in my villa and asked if I was okay.
I loved loved loved my villa. It is so very unique. You must go to their web page and watch their video. It just simply amazing. Makes you happy to be alive.
I love the peaceful library, the most beautiful spa I have ever been at, the 100 yard pool, the outdoor shower "in" your room, the VERY attentive employees, the person only job it is to sweep up fallen flower, the laundry service...I could go on and on but being a foodie, I mus say,oh how I loved their breakfast. The buffet was like nothing I have ever seen, then on top of it, you can order off a menu...get this, eggs benedict, and the most amazing passion fruit flavored sauce I've ever had. OMG, I ate it every morning as the staff waited on me hand and foot.
I'm not a writer..I wish I was because I'd love to have YOU know what an amazing place this is so you to can go to HEAVEN on Earth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Walter H, Manager at The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about your recent stay at The Nam Hai. We will pass on your compliments to the manager who assisted you with receiving medical attention when you needed it the most. We trust you have fully recovered and are back in the saddle by now. We also appreciate your comments about the sumptuous breakfast buffet and our team in general. Once again, thank you very much for having stayed with us and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Walter Hess, Resident Manager.

Been to The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel? Share your experiences!