“Charming” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belgium
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Conveniently located boutique hotel near the old city center of Hoi An. Free bycicles available. Good restaurant.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Everything you have read on TripAdvisor about the Ha An is true - it's a great place to stay.
Especially because:
The breakfasts are the best we have had in Vietnam, and we've been here over 3 weeks.
The location is close to the centre of town.
Rooms are large and clean.
Air conditioning is great - essential in June!

The only downside is that there's no pool, and it was hot, damned hot when we were in Hoi An.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

The Ha An hotel was a fantastic place to stay! We stayed for 3 nights and were upgraded on arrival to a superior room. The buildings and garden were beautiful and our room was lovely and spacious with king size bed with white bed linen. There was a lovely ensuit with rain shower, and there was a fantastic breakfast included each morning. The hotel is right in town and you can go next door and use the pool at the Life Resort (10 USD). I recommend eating at the Mango Rooms, which is fantastic!!!

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ha An Hotel in mid-May for just 2 nights and wished we would have stayed longer - not just because of how comfortable we were at the Ha An, but also because Hoi An was our favorite city in Vietnam. My top 3 comments....

1. Similar to many other Trip Advisor users, I chose the HaAn because of the favorable reviews and I agree 100% with everything I read. The place is charming and quaint, the breakfasts are diverse with all you can eat high quality food, the location is good, the rooms/bathrooms are spotless and the free use of bikes is a definite plus. We have zero complaints about the hotel except for maybe #2, below...
2. I wouldn't book a transfer to/from the airport with the HaAn unless you're arriving late at night. I don't remember the specific $'s, but similar to other hotels, they were at least 30-50% higher than getting a taxi or making transfer arrangements with a local tour operator.
3. Not a comment on the HaAn, but on the tailors in the area. I'd read in several places that although they were more expensive, that Yaly Couture was a good choice for custom clothes....but I don't recommend them at all. They were very busy and rushed me through all of my fittings - they also seemed annoyed when I asked them to slow down and let me look at the stitching, workmanship, etc. For my final fitting, I made the mistake of assuming they'd fixed what I'd asked and didn't open up the sealed package they put my clothes in to check before I left - it was only when I got back to the US that I realized they didn't do what I asked...therefore defeating the purpose of custom tailoring. And they were definitely more expensive than other locations. My husband went to A Dong instead, another tailor that was recommended through our readings and from other travellers we met in Vietnam. Although they, too, were a little more expensive than others, he had a VERY positive experience. The staff at A Dong was wonderful and were very patient during his fittings - he's very meticulous and started to actually feel guilty about the number of changes he was asking for over his repeat fittings....their smiling reply was along the lines of "no problem sir, we will make as many changes as you want - you're the customer and that's what custom tailoring is for!" This is the complete oppposite of my experience at Yaly....I would not choose them despite what you read or hear - as I was waiting for them during one of my fittings (they were 15 minutes late), another customer waiting/sitting next to me had similar, unfavorable feedback about Yaly.

Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I arrived in Hoi An via bus from Hue. I arrived at nearly 7PM, and despite a much earlier check-in time, my room was not available and was asked to wait for an hour. This wouldn't be all that bad, but this was the only location in which I was required to give my credit card information at the time of booking. I was told that they follow their booking schedule strictly and therefore the room could not be booked without a guarantee of some payment in case of cancellation. Great double standard. I was able to book literally 10 other hotels in the country without this information as well as a $600 Ha Long Bay trip.

Once in my room, the place was absolutely perfect. The hotel itself is well maintained and the staff, for the most part, were helpful. The beds are nice (but because they are two twins squeezed together, they have a dead spot in the exact middle), the bathroom is large with tub-separated shower, and the breakfast is incredibly diverse. I thought the location was quite good. Despite being at the edge of town, it is quiet and only a 7-10min walk away from the central market.

A variety of tours can be booked through the hotel, but they are marked up significantly! I booked a trip to My Son (which in retrospect, I would pass on), for $6 with boat ride. I believe the hotel wanted $9 (which is a 50% mark up!).

The laundry service was expensive and took an incredibly long time to arrive, even after I requested it, I was told to check my closet and call back. I called back later and said it wasn't there and still had to wait for some time to get it.

I wanted to go to place called Red Door or something like that for dinner and the hotel knew of it and called a taxi for me, which was quite nice. Unfortunately, it is at the edge of town and was closed. I was stranded in an area without taxis. Luckily, I had taken down the number of the taxi I took and was able to get back, only having wasted 100K VND and an hour and a half. It annoyed me that the hotel knew of this place (I think they might book cooking classes there) but was unaware that the restaurant was closed for dinner.

There were many little instances that angered me and I would have loved to rate the hotel lower than I did. But the simple fact remains: Despite its price and inconsistent service, Ha An is a beautiful hotel in a wonderful area. It is likely my annoyances were one offs.

BTW, I ate at this place called Casa Verde, maybe? And I highly recommend it. It is close to Mango Rooms down the street maybe 15min (or 10K VND ride on motorbike). The places across the river are also nice places to eat at for significantly cheaper.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Our two night at the Ha An Hotel were among the most pleasing of our 16 nights in IndoChina. We had a deluxe room overlooking the courtyard. We could not stop marveling at all the niceties of the room: decor, snacks, tea, DVD, laptop computer, silk robes (de rigeur in HoiAn, I guess), beautiful bathroom, flowers multiple places -- it just seemed like one nice thing after another. In the U.S., we could have paid $400 a night and not have had such a lovely room. Location is perhaps ideal for Hoi An: about an 8 minute walk west of the market, on a quiet street (by that point, at least) leading to the beach area. Several laundries across the street, at about 1/3 the hotel's prices.
Amazing included breakfast, in range of choices, and in quality -- perhaps the best anywhere. We also had dinner there one evening. We liked the looks of the evening's special on the chalkboard outside. We waited a little, but the result was well worth it, because it was cooked-to-order for us! They even changed the dessert for my wife without any debate or additional charge. Even if you typically avoid hotel restaurants, do not hesitate to take dinner here!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stayed for two nights. The room was very pleasant, with a comfortable bed and good bathroom. They tried to go out of their way with extra touches, such as rose petals sprinkled around, but as a single male, it seemed wasted. Ladies would like it though.
The location was good - the street was quiet and there was little traffic in the area (ancient city) because it was restricted. It felt very safe at night.
Buffet breakfasts were fantastic - I especially liked that they cooked omelette personally for you to your taste.
I appreciated their free bike loan - I rode 4 km to the local beach which was really worthwhile.
THe room was not ready when I arrived 9around 1 pm), but they did offer a drink while I waited.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Ha An Hotel? Share your experiences!