“Big hotel but not what we expected!” 3 of 5 stars

Indochine Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   87 Cua Dai St | Cam Chau Village, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #57 of 79 hotels in Hoi An
Melbourne, Australia
“Big hotel but not what we expected!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We picked this hotel for our first few nights in Hoi An after looking at the sitesdidnt really suit our purposes. It WAS nice, lovely staff and had all of the amenities, but as it was a fair way out of the town, unless you are willing to ride bicycles a fair distance (3-4 kms) in the heat or pay for taxis to get you around, you will be stuck. About 1/2 a km to the beach. Good position if you want to spend all your time at the beach. We hired a scooter from the staff and found that we were paying almost double doing it this way - better off hiring from one of the shopfronts in Hoi An - there are hundreds of places to hire from. We ended up hiring for extra days directly with the owner of the scooter at a much cheaper price and the longer you are there, the cheaper it will be. Our room was on the second floor but looked directly out onto the pool and shared a balcony with 3 other rooms, which we didnt like - lack of privacy. Room was nice though, couldnt fault it. They dont have room safes, but will keep your valuables in the safe at reception for you. The dining room was on the top floor - breakfast was good - heaps to choose from.
We wouldnt come back, as it was too far from the centre of town for us, but at $29 a night, it was very reasonable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Excellent stay for 2 nights.
Staff friendly. helpful, accomodating.
Especially Thuy & Thao, EXTREMELY friendly, helpful, always smiling!!!!!!!
I would highly recommend staying here. Close to town, beach. Airport shuttle available,
GREAT stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel was in a good location for me. I was made welcome by Moon at reception and all the receptionists. I was seated and offered a welcoming drink while checking in. The staff here are very friendly. Always willing to have a chat in English as much as possible. The hotel is only 5 stories tall, with no rooms on the top floor but the panorama room where buffet breakfast is served. beautiful place to sit and look out in the morning. I stayed on the 3rd floor which had a terrific view over the pool. The bed was comfortable, the room had an olde world charm. The only problem I had was the water on the floor after a shower. A liitle bit of maintenance around the hotel would improve it, only small things. Everyone from reception, the restaurant staff, to the staff that clean the room were always smiling. Not far from the beach and a quick bike ride into town. Enjoyable stay. I would recommend this hotel to couples looking for somewhere romantic, single travellers will be well looked after and if you are a family with kids, stay in the suite with two queen size beds in the one room, table and chairs, plenty of space and great view. I didn t stay in the suite but was kindly shown the room. I would rate this hotel 8.5 stars. Only down side which is typical of Hoi An, they all have suggestions of Tailors, restaraunts etc which can be a little overbearing but I think the way of life for them. I would recommend staying in Hoi An for a minimum of 2 nights. Thank you to all who looked after me while I stayed here

Room Tip: Book a room with view over the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nice staffs and friendly, best buffet breakfast. Rooms and the hotel are in ancients architects. Wood furniture, modern toiletries. I love the pictures on the wall. I love this hotel very much. Thank for the hotel. 500m to the beach

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Indochine for 6 nights. We'd initially only booked 2 nights as experience has taught us booking sites and some reviews can be pretty misleading. We were very impressed. For a 3 star hotel at the discounted rate it has to be said they gone some lengths to ensure a comfortable and pleasant stay. Their breakfast menu is vast and very nice. The rooms are lovely; clean, comfortable and cosy. Very good cleaning service should be added. Nice pool with a garden bar as well. If you would like the benefit of a 10 minute walk to the beach then location is great, it's still only a 5 min taxi ride into Old Town, a cycle ride wouldn't take much longer. There are a few things I'd advise them to consider though. Upon enquiring if our room was available for another 4 nights we were told it was but their quote was more than double than through Agoda. I've never experienced a hotel who's not matched travel websites so was quite surprised when we were told we'd have to book it ourselves, I guess not a big deal really, just strange. In hindsight I think they should make sure what their guests might like to do, there was a few quick questions but was told they didn't offer a trip to My Lai for example, although I later noticed a board stating they were (but way overpriced, I have lived in Vietnam for a year now so maybe am more aware of 'going rates') The restaurant boosted a broad selection of Western and Asian cuisine. It was only Asian. I have to say the prices v quality of dishes at the hotel restaurant was pretty steep. They boost a 'Windy Lounge' bar (garden bar by pool). Which was very cosy and pretty, but it was hardly a bar. That would require a selection of drinks and snacks (they sell no snacks such as crisps, peanuts or chocolates whatsoever). It's not the same when you go up to the 'bar' for them to call up to the restaurant to get the order down. Again, not a big deal perhaps, but it's a principle of advertising what you got, not what you can botch together. Only an hour before departure did I realise they in fact had a jacuzzi. Now, that's probably partly down to me not noticing. At the same time, surely that's a bonus to point out to your guests. We intended to use their phone service a couple of times (you'd think that was ok as there were phones in the room as well as rates) however, you can't. You'd have to stand in reception to make what could be a private conversation. Not sure if it applies to all of Hoi An area, but internet was seriously slow and kept cutting off, which yes was frustrating.
All that said, we would definitely stay here again. Staff was super friendly and you felt looked after. Due to it's size and location it seemed popular with coach holidays stopping for a night or two. I'd give it 8.5 out of 10 (bearing in mind star rating and price).

Hue, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked the hotel via another hotel in Hanoi. They recommended three different hotels and when we asked in which one they would stay they told us Indochine Hotel.
After we booked it we read the reviews on tripadvisor - ok next time we will change the order. So we arrived in a somehow biased mood.
We had our first two tailor recommendations ("if you want to buy some clothes I know a very good tailor...") before we had seen the rooms. The room was ok.
Part of the staff was very friendly but the cleaning staff was always loud. We would suggest a common training for the staff.
We left our room usually at 9 a.m. and came back from the beach at around 1:30 p.m.. The second day the room was as we left it. We had to tell them that we were on holidays and would like to use the room in the hottest time during the day. After this the room was cleaned every day in the time we were out. The breakfast was soso: I could eat the soup, eggs and fruits. The rest I didn't like.
The shuttle service to Hoi An was ok. The beach is around a 700 meters walk.
Because we stayed there for a week we were invited to a dinner and this was rather ridiculous: they offered two set menues but we had to take the same one. The starter of one menue was sold out so we had to take that menue where they still had the starter. The menue was not good at all. The fruits were cut with a knife they must have used before to cut onions.
The most positive things are that the hotel is a really beautifull building garden and swimming pool are nice and the beach is nearby.
Three stars are definitly overrated.

worldwide Brits
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

OK, so this review is going to be a bit different from the others. When we arrived by taxi (having been treated to the lost taxi driver - helpful passer by who happens to have a tailors shop routine) we were shown to our rooms. We had the rooms which overlooked the pool and sat behind the huge Indochine sign at the front of the hotel - this was a huge balcony.

The staff were very helpful, the room was clean and very modern. The bathroom was good and quite spacious. The bed and bedding were very clean. The pool was great too.

We ate only once at the hotel and that was a snack of noodles so I cannot say anything about the breakfast.

The hotel was very busy with Vietnamese and Chinese guests at times but the pool was generally quiet.

As a measure of the good service we received, one of our party left some clothing behind by mistake. We emailed the hotel who sent the clothing to our next destination (Nha Trang) and it was there the day after. And free of charge. There is also a free shuttle service into Hoi An and back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Indochine Hotel? Share your experiences!