“looks nice, but lacks real comfort and service” 3 of 5 stars

Long Life Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Ba Trieu Street, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #58 of 80 hotels in Hoi An
Veldhoven
“looks nice, but lacks real comfort and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for 2 nights. Booking was through an agent, so we did not have a hand in the initial room choice. Upon arrival, the receptionist showed us our rooms, which were both situated at the noisy front side. We opted for alternative rooms in the centre section of the hotel, but this was only a mild improvement. Problem is they treat the hotel as a shop house, so keep the court yard section open at all times, inviting the noisy street sounds in just like that. As the room windows were badly finished and did not provide proper sound isolation, there was no oasis effect in the rooms, which for me is an absolute must in any hotel. Also, the building has tiled flooring all over. Taking everything together, you get a noisy environment, and it did also not help that the staff sometimes communicated from the ground floor level to upper floors by shouting questions to eachother.

The rooms look ok, with eye for detail, though not for finishng. Beds are Asian hard, with hard cushions. Aircos are ok, i.e. soft and efficient.

Breakfast was way below standard. Confused staff had not prepared enough stuff in advance and acted in a very fuzzy manner when asked for extra this or that. A lack of command of English added to confusion and outright irritation. Being gentle is alright for a while, but when the simplest of tasks meets a Fawlty Tower effect, the humour may quickly turn to impatience.

They have a sister hotel on the Hoi An island just below the city centre that may have less issues. We do not know how things are there.

Conclusion: if you are a sound sleeper and are willing to take breakfast elsewhere, ok, but otherwise I'd advise to take another hotel.

There was a sign outside asking for staff. I surely hople they will get some experienced people and a good manager to train them and keep order. The building has enough potential and is on walking distance of everything in Hoi An, but the way the hotel is now being run is far below par.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

hotel was ok. Bus for a middle class hotel I expected a bit more.
Plus:
clean rooms good beds
Bicycles for free.
Minus:
Service was poor!
The breakfast was ok but needed a refresh and nobody took care about it so at 8 half of the stuff was not available anymore.
Room:
shower was not good. No pressure and they payed more attentions of how it looks like then on usability. I am tall and I had to bend down to actually wash my hair!
Pool:
Was clean but the loungers where really dirty!
Wifi was not working, most of the time.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our second hotel in hoi an as we wanted to try accommodation closer in (first hotel was Pacific Hotel and not great). Location was pretty good.

Bedrooms are presented well and air conditioned. wifi a bit weak.

Bathrooms really need more attention to detail. Last persons condiments were open and left on bath. Bath jets also looked a bit yuk. We had two towels but hand towels bathmats missing... we thought perhaps it hasn't been cleaned at change over. Booked hotel.com for double but got a twin in the middle of building - all middle rooms have windows over stairwell / reception so can be loud. Also makes it a bit dingey without a real window.

Second night we got room we had booked. Layout was really nice but again bathroom had last persons soap in there - do they clean the bathrooms? There are like 3 or 4 people cleaning so it's weird the bathrooms were not really nice. Overall it was a much nicer room and was street side with a real window. Upon leaving other people wanted to change out of middle rooms into back garden or front street rooms.

Lady at reception was lovely and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. To be honest the hotel and staff were fine.

The buffet breakfasts were good and the location was great, being only a short walk from the old town.

The reason for 4 starts instead of 5 is that the hotel felt like it could do with being spruced. In it's day, I'm sure it was fantastic, but everything was starting to get old and starting to break.

The garden and pool area out the back was clean and reasonably tidy but could also have done with a bit of a refurbishment.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel is lovely in appearance, but the staff are terrible, and we were stuffed around pretty much every day.
Firstly we arrived and our chosen room (twin room as I was travelling with a friend) was not available, even though we had booked and paid for this room 6 weeks prior!! Therefore my friend and I had to share a double bed, with a very noisy city view (when we had requested garden view) needless to say no sleep was had this night!
Then we were able to move to our twin room the following day, after considerable encouragement form our part. The shower in this room dripped constantly - enough to be a huge nuisance at night.
The staff basically tried to rip us off by quoting exorbitant amounts for day trips to Hue, My Son etc..
The internet did not work on our floor!
Other than this the breakfasts were great and the girls in the kitchen were lovely!!

Room Tip: You must not choose a city view room as these are noisy++
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Silverthorne, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Once upon a time, I was considered a bit too patient with less-than-desirable situations.   This experience was nothing short of terrible.  And dangerous. Suffice it to say, the one-night stay at Long Life created a short fuse. In the room, and in me.

Usually I like to write about the green initiatives, lay-out, amenities, decor, food, and customer service of a hotel.  This time, I want to focus on the customer service and the amenities that (literally) have the potential to blow up in guests' faces.

I had selected the room and negotiated a price the day before, and everything was in working order in terms of phone, lights, hot water, television. However, several things went wrong in succession after I checked in to the room, which was lobby-level with twin beds overlooking a rickety bamboo bridge. Like most hotel guests, I requested each item be attended to or fixed. The list is as follows:

1. Two overhead CFL lightbulbs were out in the bedroom
2. Phone was cut off. Literally, the phone wires were cut and not attached to the phone or the wall jack.
3. The bathroom light was out.
4. The water for the shower stopped working (cut-off completely).
5. Plug prongs for water boiler were melted and didn't match outlet.
6. Electrical Fire: Extension appliance with which to plug-in water boiler started an electrical fire from both the wall and appliance plug.
7. TV stopped working
8. Bike I rented and parked overnight in hotel lobby had ripped-apart and dangling basket the next morning.

Each of these issues could have more patiently managed had "Ly," the staff person handling reception and guest issues, not been so insulting. When I initially asked if it was possible to replace the two bedroom lights, she told me it was her first day as a trainee and didn't know who to ask. I offered help to contact the manager, "No worries," I said, "I know how these things work." We ended up having a maintenance person on staff come in to replace the bulbs and try to fix the phone with the cut wires (rather than replace the phone with a working-one from another room). The phone took several tries, with a staff member attempting to fuse the wires somehow with a lighter to get the phone up and running.

Ly offered that if the phone couldn't be fixed, I could leave the room and make calls from reception. But: what if I needed to call reception? I told her that I'd prefer a phone in the room, it was too bad that the phone was working yesterday and now it had cut wires. Then, I asked about an option for another room - was one available at the same price?

She took me to see another (more expensive) room, all while maintenance was trying to fuse the wires to the phone. The second room had phone and lights in working order and I thought it would be just fine to move, but only at the same price as negotiated. It was a $5 difference, and she wouldn't budge. I explained that guests expect items in the room to be in working condition, and if they are not in working condition, if another room could be made available at the agreed upon price for the original room.

Still she wouldn't budge. Instead, she told me, "My manager will not discount the price. All you care is if you get a discount. if you don't like it, you can move hotels." Her attitude took me aback, but I calmly persevered, saying, "I am asking for the agreed-upon price, not a discount." To which she said " You should have checked to make sure everything is working in the room when you check in. You are the most difficult customer I've ever had at Long Life." I reminded her that it is the hotel's responsibility to make sure electricity, phones and water are in working order and that furthermore this is her first day of training at the hotel, how many difficult customers could she have had today? At which point, heaven help us, she says, " I lied to you. I just told you that because you talk too much. I didn't want to listen to you talk. I've been working reception for two years."

O.M.G (deep breath)

Still, I kept my cool. And I told her to get ear plugs.

Most people would leave a hotel at this point, stomp their feet, raise their voice and threaten holy hell - or at least a full-scale social media campaign citing the reprehensible attitude and customer service. Not me. I still considered myself a patient person at this point. Also, Hoi An hotels were all full; it was now 9 PM, in high season and I had already been on the circuit the day before, visiting more than 10 hotels for room availability until I found Long Life. Yes, yes, yes… I was still a pretty patient person at this point; even though she had insulted me, I just didn't take it personally. Single female travelers in hotels or neighborhoods known for questionable characters & customer service must choose our battles wisely. Plus, I knew she wouldn't move on a discount and I was willing to stay in the original room if the phone was fixed.

And It was fixed, so I decided to stay. It was a crackly and unclear line, but it worked.
I had been cycling all day in humid, central Vietnam's heat and sun and wanted a shower… even if a cold shower, I could rinse the grime of the day away…

Then things in the room got worse. The bathroom light went out. The shower water stopped about 30 seconds after I turned it on. Taking the opportunity to call reception from the crackly-yet-operable phone line, they said they would come in 20 minutes to fix the water. They never came. So, I thought I would use the bottled water I had, heat it up in the water-boiler and do a quick hot-water shower with washcloth. But the plug was melted and gooey and didn't match the outlet on the wall. Once again, I called reception. This time, they brought an extension chord with the correct shape for the prongs. And they said they couldn't fix the water yet. I plugged the extension into the wall outlet, which looks like something out of the Matrix with 10 tubular snake-like wires pushing through crumbling drywall and belong best in Neo's neck…

Yep. No sooner was the extension plugged into the wall outlet than an electrical fire started at the wall AND from the prong attached to the water boiler.

This time it wasn't merely an inconvenience of no light, no phone or water that affected only me. This time it was about danger to every single person in the hotel, and perhaps other nearby properties. This time it was about fire. This time I lost patience.

I pulled the chord out of the wall, picked up the too-hot appliance, which caused me to shriek in pain and toss the hot plate away from me. I ran out of the room to the reception area - a group of people were in the street with Ly, getting in a minivan for a tour or something. With urgent, clipped tones I told her, "There's an electrical fire in my room!" She seemed genuinely concerned at this point, followed me to the room and crinkled her nose at the smell of fire and the singed chords. "Am I belong difficult now?" I asked her. Without waiting for response, I poured a glass of wine - too bad I had NO WATER to turn into wine - downed it and biked the hell out of there to find another hotel.

There are two locations for Long Life in Hoi An - please remember that this hotel is the one that is NOT on the River, and is quite far from Ancient Town.

When I explained the experience at the next hotel, their jaws dropped. DROPPED. Would you believe this hotel staff actually apologized on behalf of Long Life? I told them that Long Life's attitude is in no way indicative of Vietnam or Ho An hospitality, and I see it as an isolated case.

Then I got to stay in the best hotel ever-ever-ever, with the kindest staff, the most beautiful cultural depictions of Vietnamese history and landscape, and the most bountiful breakfast buffet: Little Hoi An Boutique Hotel. Yes. Happily Ever After.

At least for one night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you are sure their electrical equipment and plumbing are up to date.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel needs a revamp - the building could be amazing with all the wooden shutters etc but the decor is all quite tired. The bathroom had a constantly flushing toilet and the sink was blocked so water took ages to drain from the bowl. Limited air conditioning so the mosquito net hanging from the ceiling was essential. Breakfast was served outside by the pool which was picturesque but the breakfast itself was pretty poor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Long Life Hotel? Share your experiences!