“A nice resort if you like beachside resorts” 3 of 5 stars

Palm Garden Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Lac Long Quan Street, Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #19 of 79 hotels in Hoi An
Lennox Head, Australia
“A nice resort if you like beachside resorts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've stayed in too many resorts to give a high rating to those that do not provide something special. This resort has lovely grounds, is situated right on the beach and has a number of places you can eat.
Our upstairs room was clean, bright and tidy, but having said that, no iron and ironing board is supplied, the bed was not brilliant and the towels were disappointing. The bathroom is not well lit for shaving or for applying cosmetics.
On top of that, 5 of our group of 22 came down with vomiting and diarrhoea while we were there but management denied any connection to the resort. ( I was one of them and put it down to the very tasteless steamed squid I had for dinner ) The beef dish my wife ordered was inedible.
I can't comment on other food options there as I was in no condition or mood to eat for some days.
Oh yes, while denying any responsibility for my condition, the resort did offer me the services of a doctor and a one hour massage, which I was in no condition to even consider. I had sufficient appropriate medication with me not to avail myself of the offer of a doctor's visit.

Room Tip: While we were in one of the main blocks, there appears to be a number of chalets near the beach whic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

At first look the resort appeared to be a 5 star....the only problem was that the walls were paper thin. You could hear everything in other rooms. Once night there was a disturbance, but hotel security took care of the drunk. ( moved him out)

The pool was beautiful and the beach was nice. We were there in December and the waves were too rough . We couldn't enter the ocean in the 4 days we were there. The resort's Christmas party was outstanding with two bands, native dancers, great entertainment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days and 4 nights and was a little disappointed.

The location is 10 minutes from town and the shuttle only comes 4 times a day which you think would be enough but once you start heading in there everyday you realise it isnt. Although the taxi cost is only $5US approx. It is great to be on the beach however you find yourself heading to town a lot to get amongst it.

The room we stayed in was a standard room and was on the ground floor which was great as it opened up to a balcony with 2 rocking chairs. I would definately recommend requesting the ground floor for the standard room. It was a massive bed as it was 2 beds put together. This was great as it was big. The room itself felt quite bear as there is only the bear essentials in it not even a clock. My biggest gripe was the bathroom the shower has no barrier so the water goes everywhere. Our room smelt like mould and I would say the shower was the cause. We compained to 3 different people but it still smelt. So when we were in the room we had to open all the doors to air it out. It made for an unenjoyable sleep.

The conciege were very helpful booking our transfer from the hotel and re confirming all our flights. the hotel transfer by private car was $31US and was much easier to have it there waiting at the airport when we arrived. When we went to Marble mountain we got a taxi rather than hotel car and the taxi ended up less than half the price and waited for us while we expored and took us back.

My husband had his 30th birthday here and all the housekeeping staff were so friendly all wishing him happy bday and even bringing him a cake, card and flowers. The room was kept spotless by them they did a great job!

The breakfast had a great selection and was great. The bar was nice although needed more music etc. The staff here were very friendly. We also ate in the restaurant on 2 occassions it is expensive for Hoi An but very convenient when you dont feel like going anywhere. There are restaurants across the road from the hotel that do great authentic cheap food and also very cheap laundry. We went to Mi Casa for laundry and several meals and drinks they are great!

Went to the Spa in the hotel and got the Palm Signauture massage as they had a 30% off special and I would rate this as the best massage I have ever had.

My husband got sick while we were here with a stomach infection (not from the hotel) and their hotel doctor came by 3 times bringing him medication and checking on him and even bought him a birthday present. He was so lovely.

The staff really make this hotel. I am undecided if I would come here again though. The beach location is lovely however I would prefer to get into town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent a great 4 nights at this hotel over the new year period. It was spot on in every respect and the staff and facilities were top notch. The hotel is right on the beach and there's a shuttle bus 4 or 5 times a day (I think) to Hoi An itself. The taxi is cheap (£3-£4) if you dont want to hang about though. Plenty of taxis at the hotel and in Hoi An and about 10-15 minutes travel time.The food at the hotel was the most average we had on the trip but that's mainly because the food is so good in Vietnam. The breakfast buffet here is great though. Don't let that comment put you off in any way though. Rooms are big and airy and have rocking chairs to chill on your balcony. Choice you have is chilled beach with a short trip into town or busier in town hotels. I would come back here again fo sure. Enjoy

Room Tip: Dont bother with the beach view rooms unless you really want to spend lots of time in your room. The...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Pluses .. when you are vomiting and could do the other end's business through the eye of a needle thanks to the Mango smoothie you had in downtown HOI AN .. they have bloke with drugs that can stop this and he is a physician (name tag) nurse (list of services) and he is free

Minus .. he doesn't speak English but pointing at your rear does get you something to stop the runs .. pointing at your mouth you get something to stop the vomitting.

Plus .. the Gardens wonderful although I am disturbed by how close the Ms Universes planted their Norfolk pines

Minus ... the Bed ...oh dear lord it is so hard.. I have slept on softer slabs of concrete.. I woke each morning in pain. This is not an exaggeration.

Minus .. the great goldfish killing of 2012 I witnessed, I did advise the staff (as a long term fish fancier) that they were poisoned, possibly they had worked this out by the significant number of fish dying even though they had no English.

Minus.. the room charges were outrageous.. $500 on check out .. someone is overcharging for the mini bar, resturant, cafe and bar.. naughty naughty

Plus .. the lovely lady from housekeeping .. god I love that woman... please ensure that if you meet her you tip her.. she is the one that gets really really excited like all her Christmases (or whatever the appropriate Buddism alternative) have come at once. I got such a thrill every time we caught up, I always tipped her. Take that American bar man in New York City who did not like Australians because they don't tip, give us a smile and let us know how thrilled you are with a tip and you get half your daily earnings!

Minus .. they over charged on the laundry but I did get to see the lovely lady from housekeeping again so bonus.

Plus .. lifesavers on the beach

Minus .. when I was swimming they were all looking at the hotel and not the ocean

Plus ... lots of staff
Minus .. levels of English were not what I expect at an alleged 5 star resort - I have been at 5 star in Italy, Fiji, Bali and Thailand .. the English here was not cricket folks just not cricket

Plus ... spa was lovely
Minus ... cheaper across the road

Minus ... Breakfast was disappointing

Minus ........... COFFEE FAIL ... BAD COFFEE... undrinkable, unpleasant and you can't explain to the staff that they have the water too hot so they are burning the coffee and you need milk that is fresh

Minus .. they kept putting down the blinds in the breakfast place/resturant.. surely the point is to see the ocean

Minus.. facebook in Hoi An was frequently not working not sure if their internet wifi was blame or if the government was blocking it

Plus .. it was five minutes from Hoi An and about $5 at the most for a taxi

Minus... it was five bucks for taxi everytime we went into town and their dogey shuttle never went at a time you wanted to go... In Bali we were given a lift to anywhere local we wanted and it was all part of staying at the Dream Villas ...

Minus ... ORANGE EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK

Minus .. we got stung $150 for an upgrade to the delux room.. .don't do the superior .. too much orange and squishy - the superior we got given was up 3 flights of stairs! I can damage myself on flat ground thanks.

Minus.. stung you when you took money out. 5% commission and there own crap rate of conversion

Plus .. hired a car from the resort to go to My Son and it had wi fi
Minus... cost $80

Minus ... worker working in bad weather conditions.

MINUS ... NON STOP CHRISTMAS CAROLS .. oh dear Lord please give this hotel a new Christmas CD next year

Plus .. a reinterpretation on the nativity .. Mary has a glitter dress, they are in a cave not a stable .. and Jesus is a rather large baby given Mary's size (Christmas Miracle?)

Dare I suggest you don't book through an agent and you do a bit of research and you could do a bit better than this.

I marked this average as I loved the lady in housekeeping and appreciated the drugs after the night of vomiting and other toilet related activities.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at night so did not appreciate the beauty of this resort until the next morning. Peaceful grounds, beautiful pool area, short walk to the beach and extensive buffet breakfast selection. The band at the resort are great and play good arrangements of a range of songs. Staff are professional and friendly. Close to the town of Hoi An and all that it offers.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

To be fair, we arrived at Palm Garden already with somewhat of a negative view - we'd booked directly on the hotel website and received an email a few days later 'helpfully' informing us that we could pay our $20 per night surcharge + $80 compulsory NYE gala ball upon arrival. After an email exchange, they agreed to waive the compulsory gala attendance ($80? In Vietnam? seriously!). Furthermore, the $20 'peak season' surcharge seemed a bit redundant, I would be very surprised if the hotel was more than 75% full.

The grounds of the hotel are quite nice - however the rooms are shabby and dated, in desperate need of refurbishment. The minibar prices are ridiculous, even for mini-bar prices, the hotels food and beverage prices extortionate for Vietnam. We ventured across the road and had cocktails for 50,000 dong (hotel charging 178,000) with great, friendly service from one of the venues there.

The hotel did start to grow on me the second day - the staff are very friendly, the breakfast relatively nice, with lots of fresh, healthy options. I had been given an upgrade to an Ocean View Standard - the ocean was largely blocked by buildings and palm trees but still was fairly nice.

What it comes down to is this is not a 5-star hotel, it is a 4 or 4.5 star hotel. Which would be fine, if:

1. The prices were at a 4 or 4.5 star level
2. You could sit and eat/drink all day without feeling massively ripped off
3. The resort didn't try to do everything possible to blatantly extract money from guests.

The final straw was the hotel trying to get me to pay the surcharge again upon check-out. While I believe it was a honest mistake on their part, set protocols should have meant that this was avoided - it took around 15 minutes to clear up.

Room Tip: The basic room type is, in fact, quite basic.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palm Garden Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!