For a hotel that is currently promoting itself as 5 star (4,5 star on some places) it has a long, and I mean very long way to go, on certain fronts.
As a frequent traveler living in Vietnam for almost 1 year, working in the hospitality industry myself, I have seen hotels varying from superb 3 stars to failing 5 stars as these. To sum-up what was good and bad.
- There is no beach, although widely promoted on the internet and booking websites there is no beach, only a strip of sand but certainly not the nice pictures you can find online - would be nice if that was communicated;
- The shower/bathtub combination is a insult, it is a heavily outdated "shower-head" that is stuck to the wall as you can find in locker rooms;
- The shower curtain, at least in room 2004, has a line of black mold on the bottom;
- Regarding food, although highly subjective, is disappointing:
-> Sands kitchen = good quality but not adventurous enough in menu
-> Sands White Orchid = adventurous but of terrible quality
-> Room service quality was so low I took 2 bites of my sandwich and left the rest untouched
Some service trouble I ran into:
- The Sands fun pub is more a staff hang-out after dinner (19:30 till 21:00);
- What insulted me most, the Sands fun pub staff (not knowing that I understand a good word of Vietnamese) was making fun of me after I asked for the bill in their native tongue - making this review go from average to poor and me unlikely to ever return to any location of Swiss Belhotel;
- Some of the pool service staff were not very attentive (one was, fortunate)
- In both restaurants dining etiquette's are not followed, the staff is friendly and helpful but they simply do not know the proper etiquette's;
- I experienced most of the front office girls very unwelcoming
And in general you can feel that Swiss Belhotel recently took over the Golden Sand resort, it has a kind of weird vibe.
Of course there were also some upsides during my stay and it would be unfair not to mention them.
- Excellent room service, superior to that what I have seen in many highly reputed hotels.
- Rooms are spacious and have a wonderful minibar set-up and all aminities
- Spa is phenomenal and should certainly be tried
- The pool is great and the entire resort looks in a good shape
- 75% of the staff is very friendly, hard working and speaks sufficient English (unique in Vietnam)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With 212 chalet like buildings housing the hotel rooms and suites and each of the room has a private balcony with garden view or ocean view. The originality of the Resort is 16 Suite rooms "the Hidden Charm of Golden Sand" as said by a guest. In addition, there are 196 Deluxe and Superior rooms. Their decoration is simple but warm and luxurious with Twin or King Bed, the bathroom has both bathtub and shower. 150m is a longest swimming pool in the Central Viet Nam and two swimming pools for Children, two restaurants serving delectable Vietnamese and Continental Cuisine. Tennis, mountain biking, scuba diving, accolade winning Vietnamese cooking classes and a wide range of well organized daily excursion options are available await at this fabulous hotel and a PADI licensed SCUBA diving operation. Kid's club for children as Kite flying, sand painting and mask painting…We open more facilities to satisfy the guest’s relaxation and open tour to discover Hoi An and neighbouring beautiful sites as My Son Sanctuary, the former imperial city of Hue, and the mystical Phong Nha caves in Quang Binh province… it is really a destination with 4 world culture heritages. With more than 11 private room for ladies and gentlemen, the Scentual Spa offers you and your body the vitality and energy to reach your physical peak. You can soak in a Jacuzzi bathtub and let loose as the skilled hands of professional therapist drive your stresses away. You can also get a massage outside while listening to the waves, eyes half closed under the shade of a palm tree. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your Golden Sand Resort & Spa Hoi An reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swiss-Belhotel Golden Sand Resort And Spa
- Swiss-Belhotel Golden Sand Hotel Hoi An