“Needs some serious TLC” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 79 hotels in Hoi An
England
“Needs some serious TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

The Cua Dia hotel was probably a handsome colonial style building about two decades ago, but it seriously needs some maintenance and a lick of paint. We stayed here for three nights during january, which is a little off season for Hoi An. So guess it might look better in the sunshine!

We paid $45 a night for a superior double room on the first floor. The bed was big and comfy and the large room was pretty soundproof and spacious. For this price we recieved aircon, a fridge, mini bar, internet downstairs, breakfast and hot water.

On the downside there was a lot of mildew and water marking on the walls. In the bathroom we had a large power shower next to the normal shower but it didn't seem to be connected to anything? We had loads of light switches in our room that didn't seem to be wired to anything and the lighting they did have was quite dim. The pool itself is nice and clean, but the surrounding area is overgrown and small (not much room for many people to sunbathe during peak season). The breakfast is buffet style and is ok but nothing special. The staff seem friendly to the point of being creepy.

This was one of the more expensive places we stayed in Vietnam, and it was a little dissapointing compared to some of the photos we'd seen of it online.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

This hotel is beautiful. Our room was very comfortable and good value (U$ 55).

I don't understand why people in TA say don't trust the pictures on the website. Well, we thought it was as beautiful as the picutres (see ours too). Maybe it's not so great when it's rainny, and rain is a very common thing in Hoi An (we almost cancelled going to this fantastic town because of the weather in the previuos week before we went - but we're very lucky - we had a couple of hot, sunny days - lots of time by the swimming pool, by the way).

It's a simple hotel (in comparison to large ones), breakfast is delicious (with pain au chocolate!).

It's true that we arrived at this hotel after a dreadful experience in the next door Glory Hotel (see our review), so maybe our experience was based on the relief of finally being able to escape from next door.

Wi-fi works well and there is also internet on the reception. They also own other restaurants in town (you mustn't miss Mermaid).

It's about 5-10 minutes into town and it's a pleasant walk.

• Liked — Comfortable Rooms, Swimming pool and breakfast
  • Disliked — Baths don't run really hot water
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

We were really disappointed by this hotel. As mentioned before it looks nothing like the pretty pictures on the website. I even asked after seeing our room – is this Cua Dai Hotel? So don’t be fooled. The reality is very different – it is quite run down. The paint is peeling at places and there are damp stains on the walls, alongside with already mentioned damp smell. The breakfast isn’t that great either – if you don’t fancy eggs or french bread which has been touched by everyone wanting to cut the slice you might go hungry. It is nothing else than below average budget hotel – it is clean but I cannot find anything nice to say about this property

• Liked — Leaving this hotel
  • Disliked — The damp stains on the walls
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Initially I had booked at the Ha An, but with the collapse of the Australian Dollar against the US$, I decided to try something a little cheaper. When I booked, this hotel was rated around third in Hoi An, so I decided to try it. I booked one of their most expensive rooms - US$55 per night - I had heard Hoi An was a great place to relax and so I though I would indulge in a little luxury. I also booked a transfer from Da Nang airport - all this went off smoothly - the driver was at the airport and check-in was a breeze - when I saw the room I was shocked ....by the oppulence. I was expecting to get a lovely room, but what we got was more like a small appartment - apart from a very spacious bedroom, there was a very large bathroom and a lounge room with direct access to the pool (unfortunately, Hoi An in January isn't real pool scene material - a bit chilly). I was delighted with all this and I must say the 4 nights I slept at this hotel were amongst the 4 best sleeps I had during my three weeks in SE Asia. Breakfast was served by the pool - a typical small buffet affair - fresh eggs to order and a nice selection of breads and spreads. The staff we encountered were always cheery and friendly. When it came to our departure day, we got day use of the room for US$20 as our flight didn't leave until evening. As mentioned by another reviewer, the management were keen we pay by cash - this didn't concern us as we had intended to do that anyway, but it could have been an issue if we insisted on credit card. There is free internet in the lobby, which is always welcome. In terms of location, it is about 15 minutes walk to the old town - and if you don't like that there are always motos outside offering to give you a ride. As for the condition of the hotel, it is true that it is no longer pristine - but it is a long way from derelict too - a few cracks in walls here and there, but I didn't see it as any kind of drawback. Personally, I would love to come back again when the weather was warmer and spend a time lazing around the pool. As for the other rooms, from what I could see - the cheaper rooms were essentially the size of our bedroom (without the additional lounge room) and opened up onto open-air corridors - so no view if that is what you are after.
I would have no hesitation recommending their top-of-the-range rooms!

• Liked — The large rooms, cleanliness, friendliness of the staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing really, it was pretty much everything I wanted.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

I have really mixed feelings about this hotel. I booked 4 rooms (2 suites and 2 delux) for 7 people and confirmed 3 times by email. When we arrived the Manager told us that he had to change our bookings because our flight was (35mins) late!! So we got 3 suites and 1 deluxe (and had to pay the extra!!).
The manager just seems to make things up as he goes along. We was wanting us to book flights and tours with him and offered a free transfer back to the airport if we did so, and then on the last day tried to charge us for the transfer. The credit card machine is still 'broken' - me thinks he wants to get cash to not have to put it through the books.
As for the hotel, it is a lovely little place. Our suite was really nice and the extra space was appreciated. Our friends room on the 2nd floor had the musty smell that others have complained about but our rooms were fine.
Breakfast was the best that we had. Pool looked good, but a bit too cold to try.
Close to the old city and we enjoyed the walk every day.
Dont think I would go back there because I just dont trust that Manager. I think I could find somewhere with comparible accommodation for a similar price without wondering what the Manager was going to do next.
One more tip - we did end up going to Hue on a tour organised by the Manager. It was terrible. The driver was shocking - the worst I have ever had (and I have travelled a fair bit). We all felt lucky to get back in one piece.

• Liked — nice rooms
  • Disliked — The manager who keeps changing the goal posts.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

By all accounts this is a decent budget hotel. However, we made a reservation quite early direct with the hotel which they confirmed. As they requested, we sent them an email a week before arrival reconfirming our stay and they replied a room was no longer available since they had a large tour group. We were able to secure something better with a bit of a last minute scramble, but their failure to honour a reservation and - in the exceptional circumstance that they discovered they could not - to communicate proactively about it rather than waiting for our email is not acceptable.

Note this is an endemic problem in South East Asia (due no doubt to the problems processing credit card guarantees and therefore the hotel's own problems in making sure reservations are honoured by their guests), but it is not hotel behaviour consistent with being a #4 trip advisor pick for Hoi An, as is their current placement.

gonz_7
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

The Cua Dai is a good quality budget hotel. It is well located, the staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and nice, and the breakfast is above average. The only complaint we really had was the damp/stale smell of the bathroom which permeated throughout the whole room. We got used to it pretty quickly but it was a little annoying. But overall the Cua Dai is a very good choice in Hoi An.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smell of bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cua Dai Hotel? Share your experiences!