“The best hotel we stayed in Asia” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
LOWEST RATE WE BEAT!
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Hoi An
Sao Paulo, SP
“The best hotel we stayed in Asia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Charming, comfortable, excellent reception and services, extremely friendly and competent staff, outstanding breakfast, very good gym room and swimming pool, free bikes, comfortable and brand new rooms, very good prices. I really recommend!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Okay, let's start with the pluses:

1) big, clean hotel, with a nice pool (can be a plus if you don't have great beach weather, but on the other hand, we found that every day that was good enough for the pool was good enough for the beach, which we loved)

2) Really great front desk staff - probably the best English you'll hear in Vietnam, some really skilled, smart, professional ladies.

3) Service in general. It is absolutely endearing to see these young folks doing their best and hopefully making their way in the world.

4) There is an espresso machine. I love Vietnamese coffee, but this was a great break from it.

However:

1) Noise. Quite paradoxically, a hotel attempting to be so fancy, but paper thin walls and echoing hallways that "record" every step everyone makes. Bring earplugs!

2) A bit too "global". I was unpleasantly reminded of Big Chains of The World, which I happen to NOT love. The lounge has some sort of a Latin name - really, in the midst of this beautiful, unique, amazing country? - it made me cringe daily. There is some sort of awful ambiance "chill" music, going on and on...how about something classical, or Vietnamese, or...none?
There is the fussbal table in said lounge - uh - not sure if I hated it more because it was so unelegant in the otherwise elegant setting, or because it seemed to attract tipsy guests and screaming kids.

3) Because it's a fancy hotel, everything in it will be very expensive - water, etc. A cup of tea or said espresso will come at Western prices. And, they will of course try to sell you everything at higher prices. E.g., they do sell a group tour of My Son, but the travel desk said something along the lines of how bad it was. Well, you really should not be selling it then. In reality, the tour was fine, and I think one does not need a private guide in My Son - it is very small and you should read up on it on your own because most guides, I hate to say it, are kind of not great. But if you must have it, book it in town and save yourselves some money.

I should also mention the hotel location. I really liked the views of the rice fields, and that it provided a nice walk to town , BUT it is kind of out of the way if you have only a few days - far from the beach and far from town, so you end up losing some time in transit, and, if you are a couple, having a harder time doing things on your own (it's safe, but I did not feel like walking back or taking taxies alone at night). They are very efficient with taxies, but those add up a few bucks daily. Not a big deal, but I wished I had been closer.

Overall, however, this is a very nice hotel, clean and with great service, and the negatives are largely about my personal preferences for places more local and intimate.

Room Tip: Definitely overlooking the pool, and higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I was there in December and was not sure how many days I will spend there, at the end I decided to change my booking and stay as long as possible...

The hotel is 3 minutes from the centre of Hoi an, very close to the river, my room looked over rice fields and the river. Also it is fantastic that they have some rooms that has big windows in the bathroom as well, if you also like this, you should ask them to suggest one.

The staff is very polite and helpful, they help you to organise whatever you like. My room was really very luxurious with the expectional bathroom, the bed was the best I had in Asia.

They provide a full buffett breakfast with delicious breaksfast fruits.

In front of the Hotel you find also a place you shouldn't miss! There is a cafe&restaurant, they are not on Tripadvisor, but you should try their food and they also ready to organise local trips, you can rent scooter there. They speak very good english also, this is a very good addition to the hotel!

I plan my next visit, when I will go back with my kids, they have connecting rooms as well. For sure, I will go there again!

Room Tip: The rooms with window-bath are exceptional. If it is not a big thing for you, you can choose any oth...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hotel is really beautiful - both the rooms and the view of the grounds from the dining room. The breakfast was the best we had in our 2 weeks in Vietnam with a fantastic selection of vietnamese and western foods of the very highest standard. The staff were extremely helpful and in particular arranged all our activities - we just told them what we were interested in and they made all the phone calls and advised us on the different prices so we could select the options we wanted. Our favourite hotel in Vietnam - absolutely fabulous!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

A delighful change from the chain hotels we find ourselves slaves to due to their loyalty programs. The staff was excellent, from Vanessa the manager to the travel desk to the servers in the restaurant. The location is a 15 minute walk from the ancient city but this did not bother us in the least. There is limited shuttle service but we always chose to walk, especially with the relatively mild weather. The hotel is beautiful and provides full service and is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite was lovely and from what we could see, the other rooms looked very nice, too.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great , clean hotel with friendly staff who were more than willing to book trips etc. Only thing is is that we felt it was rather impersonal compared to the smaller hotels we have stayed in but I think that was down to our choice rather than a fault of the hotel. The pool needed a bit of chemical treatment. Breakfast was fantastic and the room was comfy with all mod cons.

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Everything from the welcome at the hotel until our departure was excellent!! Friendly, service minded staff, tasty food - the breakfast was superb - and a relaxed atmosphere. We loved our stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Essence Hoi An Hotel & SPA? Share your experiences!