“Average accommodation - damp rooms. Could do better.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Waterside Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waterside Resort & Spa
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Xuyen Trung, Cam Nam, Hoi An 84, Vietnam   |
Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Hoi An
“Average accommodation - damp rooms. Could do better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights at te Vietnam Village Hotel for $40US a night. The 'resort' is run down and I imagine at its peak it was good but lack of maintenance is showing.

Pros:
- Bath tub
- foam mattress's (much more comfortable than inner spring in Vietnam)
- You had the option of breakfast in your room - good breakfast.
- fairly good location
- A/C
- staff were friendly

Cons:
- 'Resort' was run down
- Rooms were very damp
- No mattress protector
- poor linen and towels
- wifi was temperamental
- laundry service was SO bad. Received clothes back damp and not clean. Took them back. Recieved them back damp again still not clean. Taken back a third time and although they were dry the standard of cleanliness was not acceptable.
- Mosquitoes

I would not reccomend or stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed on this "resort" during our 2 week round trip in Vietnam (HOI AN).

I must say that when I saw the hotel from the outside I was very surprised and it seemed to me to be a luxurious resort ! But not entirely... First of all the room is very neat and clean, and I really can't find anything "bad" to say about it. The AirCon worked well, the beds were comfortable, the view was beautiful (River side) and the room clean. When you get to the resort you soon realize that it isn't the 4-star resort you were hoping for... There is clearly some gardening to do in the area and some maintenance as well. Provided that the resort is short on customers I believe that they just can't manage to spend their financial budget on decoration and maintenance ! Otherwise, the staff is really friendly even though some receptionist speak little english (and as others have written they are also very hardworking!!).

My advise to you is to try this hotel if you are looking for a good place to sleep and with excellent location near the city center. Of course we are talking about a price class that is midrange - so for big families or simple backpackers this hotel is a great choice ! If, on the other hand, you are looking for a bit of a "top dollar" residence and you are used to 4 star + hotels, then this may not be the one.

Room Tip: All rooms with a river view are nice, I recommend those located on the first floor because of a bett...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed here four nights in April, and for us it was excellent. But forget the theme-park they are supposed to have - it's long gone. As is most of the clientèle... The lobby/shop/reception is pretty run-down, as are the gardens, but the rooms are very spacious and neat, with air co and a large balcony on which to enjoy your breakfast, which can be brought to your room. The balcony faces the river, through the palm trees you can see and hear the fish market. The ladies at the reception are very, very nice and helpful. We thought it very good value for our money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We were a little hesitant about staying here especially as it seemed a lot cheaper than other hotels in Hoi An and it did seem quite empty when we first looked at it. But it turned out fine, our room was neat and clean, and larger than many hotel rooms in Vietnam. The bathroom was fine although one tip is to make use of the sit-down feature of the shower bath to avoid getting water all over the floor (you'll see what I mean when you get there). The room has a spacious balcony with views of the grounds.
The strangest things about this place are firstly the unkempt nature of the grounds, the place needs a gardener to come in and spend a couple of weeks weeding and tidying up the premises; and secondly the fact that we seemed to be nearly the only guests from the first two ights of our stay - the size of the place is quite large and we wondered how they could stay in business.
However neither of the points were a problem for us. The receptionist, who seemed to work very long hours, tried hard to be friendly and the location right across the bridge from the old town is very convenient yet quiet at night. Right outside the resort is bicycle hire and a lady who will do your laundry for you. The free wifi works fine.
So it maybe not the highest quality place in Hoi An but the price is fair for what you get and there are really no major problems.

• Stayed April 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011 via mobile

The Vietnam Village Resort was unlike anywhere else we stayed in Vietnam. Located on the river, the rooms backed on to a private grassy area where you really felt outdoors. A water buffalo meandering around completed the escape picture. Friendly staff and breakfast delivered to the room made the stay very comfortable. The bridge right next to the resort gave quick access to Hoi An's CBD, for food and shopping. Massages could be organised with pickup from the resort. Boats to parts of Hoi An could be accessed from the river bank right behind the resort. A good value and peaceful place to stay in Hoi An.

• Stayed February 2011
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I chose this hotel after a friend's recommendation. We only booked the room 2 hours before we arrived and didn't negotiate for the cheapest . The price is not really a good deal - 30$ for a superior room with a king-size bed during low season (my friend booked her room for 20$-something via agoda.vn;) but it's acceptable.
We got a outer upper floor room, where its view is the best the hotel can have. The room is spacious, pretty cozy and neatly arranged. The bathroom is way better than I expected: well-equipped, large and bright, etc.
The thing I don't like is the lighting in the main room. It's too dim at night. Plus, I'm not a big fan of white light; I prefer yellow/red light, which makes the room more comfy and cozy. Although the hotel does have wifi access, my Iphone cannot find any service. The breakfast is probably the worst; I knew that before I came thanks to my friend's experiences. My advice: Do not order the vietnamese foods (they made the worse Cao Lau ever.) Order fruit if you want something good. If you must eat real food, order the eggs and cheese, not so good but eatable.
The staffs are really friendly and helpful. I was impressed by the politeness and courtesy of the hotel's staffs in particular, and of Hoi An residents in overall.
Generally speaking, I enjoyed my stay and had a great time there. Definitely come back for a greater deal if possible.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Montjean, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

We stayed 6 nights and it was fairly good value for money and the bedrooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ok and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Though what a shame that everything they offer does no longer exist. The wasted potential is just criminal. I was so looking forward to seeing all the craft workshops in action. I would recommend this place with reservations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Waterside Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!