“Tourist trap” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 32 Attractions in Hoi An
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Hoi An Silk Village, officially opened in August 2012, is based on the ancient silk weaving traditions of Quang Nam province that used Hoi An as a commercial seaport for over 300 years. Located down the street from Hoi An's town center, the Silk Village offers an experience like no other. During the tour you'll learn about the entire production of silk from silkworm to dress. We also have a spacious restaurant serving up local delights and a high-end silk showroom where you can have custom garments designed.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Takapuna, New Zealand
20 attraction reviews
“Tourist trap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

A nice little place but overly touristic for my liking. Just depends on what you are lookibg looking for

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Wodonga, Australia
34 attraction reviews
“Good to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very good explanation of the silk making process by a lovely and easy to understand employee. I had a dress made and am very happy with the quality. The range of silk fabrics was excellent> The people there were very friendly and seemed to enjoy their job. Restaurant was closed when we were there because of the typhoon.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Interesting, and outstanding value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

What an excellent 90 minutes we had! Our guide was courteous, informative and witty, and the tour of the silk-making facilities was extremely interesting. All the people working there were gracious about our interrupting their work. I would recommend this highly, and it's a steal at the price. A pity it is not better known, but I am hopeful it's reputation will grow.

21 attraction reviews
“Whatever ..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have been there, and the settings and atmosphere are really nice, if this was a resort or a restaurant only.
About the silk village we were a bit disappointed, as we thought there would much more to see on the silk production and less time spent on the show room, which at the end we understood was the main aim of the place.. But hey, if u like shopping, go there.. But not if you want to see the full production.

HCMC
“Very educational with kind staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

As a textile crafter, I went to the silk village, interested in how they made the silk fabric. In going on the tour, I also learned about some history and culture of Vietnam. It was interesting to learn about the carving, the traditional homes, the different types of traditional clothes depending upon the ethnic group or era, as well as learning about the process of fabricating silk fabric. When my 4-year-old son joined me, he also found it very interesting and the guide was very thoughtful towards him. It's a great activity to do if it's raining and the restaurant has delicious food. The tour includes lunch and for me as a vegetarian, they were very accommodating, though I'm sure the meat dishes are also delicious.