“Good quality room, lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars

Lucky House
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   622 Hai Ba Trung, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #104 of 130 Hoi An B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good quality room, lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place is a short walk from the old town so avoiding the hustle and bustle found there. The room in spacious with lots of places to get unpacked. The water is lovely and hot and the staff mean that you always arrive and leave with a smile on your face. Our only slight gripe is that the place can be a little noisy with doors closing and people speaking in the lobby. Go for a room ending in '3' or on the top floor to minimise this.

Room Tip: Go for one ending in '3' and, if possible, on the top floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Udaipur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The staff at the Lucky House are awesome! It is family run which is apparent in how they treat their guests. They offer laundry service 30,000 dong per kg not the cheapest in town but quick and convenient. My room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom had a glass enclosed shower which was nice. I had no windows to outside which didn't bother me but might for some. Room is serviced daily ( bedding changed and bathroom cleaned). The location is central with many restaurants/attractions close by. The beaches are about a 25 minute bicycle ride from the hotel. The hotel is on a main road which didn't bother me but may be an issue for some.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We originally booked two nights at this guest house thinking we might extend our stay if we liked it. Instead we cancelled our second night...

We booked online a couple days before and found our way to the hotel uneventfully. When we arrived, we were shown to our room without a welcome. Our room was on the second floor at the top of the stairs with a 'window' looking onto the hallway. Opening the door, we were greeted by moldy, dank air. I think the hotel person noticed too and promptly switched on an old clunky floor fan and the A/C.

After they had left us alone we laughed at the state of the room. Not only was the furniture old, cheap and in bad shape but the florescent lighting illuminated dirty walls and the nudey poster hanging there. Considering the price we had paid ($23/night) we decided to start looking for another guest house right away.

To the credit of Lucky House, we didn't encounter any trouble cancelling our second night. We were treated fairly and the we did meet the friendly owner later. However he didn't make any effort to improve the situation.

Just down the street from Lucky House are many better options for less money and with breakfast included. Don't book Lucky House in advance - better to just show up and see for yourself.

Room Tip: Don't book without seeing a room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I payed close to 15usd for a perfect room, huge, clean, nice decorated, with fan, air con, tv with cable and toilet ensuite, and very comfortable bed.
The location for me was really good, because is not in the middle of everything, but just a 5/10 walking distance to the centre and the river, by the way, Hoi An is very very small town.
You can also rent a bike or a moto, and you will be at the beach in 20 minutes riding by a beautiful road.
They don't have breakfast service, but just in front there is a very good and cheap place.
Thay have wifi and 2 computers with internet for free.
But the best here is the owner...the best smile ever!!
So kind, so helpful, so nice, I'd really like to see him again and when I left the place I really wish to stay longer.
He knew that I was on my b-day, and just by himself he left flowers, a cake and a note with a very nice "happy birthday gabriela", and we stay there just 1 night so he didn't know me.
When you're travelling for a long time, this kind of person and moment are very special and wonderful.
The best for this hotel, the owner and all his family.
I absolutly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I prebooked here because of the reviews I had read. The hotel has seen better days and is on a busy street. The rooms I stayed in was fairly big but lacked a few window coverings. Needless to say it was very bright at night and not very good for sleeping. Hoi An has better options in this price range.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked into hotel for a night knowing that he would allow for a late check-in, thinking I would transfer to the cheaper Hop Yen hotel later in the week. By the next morning I knew I wouldn't leave so soon as Thinh, the hotel owner is outrageously likeable.
Long after I forget what the rooms, locations and prices were like I'll remember his charisma and never-ending grin. The accommodation itself is fine - clean enough, cheap enough, large enough, a quick walk into town, quick wifi - all the check boxes the hotel must have. However in the company of Thinh and his family you realise how incredibly helpful they all are.
For example, we got on so well that he took me out to the Marble Mountains for free on his bike and didn't even let me pay for his petrol (but I did pay for lunch), and he'd take me out to other spots in Hoi An too on the premise that he thought I might like it. We got on so well by the time I had to check out he gave me a big sweaty hug.

Having a beer with him (his shout) on my last night there, he shared with me how the review below on Trip Advisor calling him a liar had really hurt his feelings as it turned out that the company doing the tour was at fault (not the reviewer or him). Whilst I'm sure the reviewer had a good reason to describe the situation that way, what was obvious to me was how much he'd like ensure it never happens again and that he wanted all his guests to leave as happy as I was. I see the latest review calls him the "happiest man in Vietnam" and I think he could win this prize.
As to what it is that keeps him so darn likeable and happy looking? He told me he wanted to make everyone happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Our room was adequate for a budget hotel, we slept very well and we booked to stay two nights longer than planned, much to the delight of the owner, who is the happiest man we've met in Vietnam! He was very helpful and attentive and made our stay memorable. He booked our bus tickets and even carried our cases to the bus. Worth staying here just for him. There is also a great restaurant just down the road, in a shady, leafy courtyard run by a family who served great food at a decent price with a smile. We ate here every day as it was a breath of fresh air from the touristy, rip-off places in the old town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lucky House? Share your experiences!