“Simple but good” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegetarian
Calgary, Canada
“Simple but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We got the name and directions to the restaurant from one of the staff at a local suit store. It is halfway down the alley in the middle of the block at 71 Phan Chu Trinh (beside a store that sells status made from wood blocks with a friendly artisan). The restaurant appears to be court-yard of a residence.

I'm a carnivore but enjoy the occasional vegan meal especially when local dishes using "meat substitutes" - usually soy/tofu. For dinner I had a Cau Lo and spring rolls from the menu of 4 items (Com Ga & Mi Quang which are local dishes). I think the three of us had dinner for 90,000 VND. Buffet is 30,000 VND.

The next day, I just selected items from the "buffet". The staff basically do not speak English and items on the buffet were not identified. See photo of the buffet offering. The only issue is that the buffet is not on a steam table that we're accustom to in North America. So some of might find the food tepid, they did not understand when one of us ask if they had a microwave to re-heat the food from the buffet. However, I found the food was tasty as is and we never got an upset stomach.

• Visited February 2014

London
“Local grub costing peanuts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

It was easy to find this place only because it was drawn onto a map for us by our hotel and we followed the directions in the review below. We met other tourists who had spent close to an hour looking for it. The place is a bit rough and ready when you get there but that's part of the experience. There were children playing and we could see into the owners living room! The food was from a buffet and we loved it all, it was flavoursome and left you feeling full. We had two plates plus a coke and it came to 50,000 dong. The night before we spent 400,000 at a vegan restaurant designed for tourists and it wasn't as good. The review below is very thorough and spot on!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Eat with the locals at this cheap vegan restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at this place 3 times now, and have been happy every time. The restaurant is tucked away down a little side alley and can be tricky to find. Go to #71 Phan Chu Trinh and then turn down the alley and it will be on your right side about halfway down.

This place is mostly frequented by locals. I saw a few westerners on my visits, but not many. The place is especially popular with the locals on the 1st and 15th of each lunar month when many people eat vegetarian only.

There are two eating options; order from the tiny menu (4 items: fried rice, quang noodle, spring rolls, cau lau), or pick and choose from the buffet bar. The buffet is most plentiful in the early part of the day (around noon or earlier) and seems to diminish as the day progresses. There were usually 6-10 dishes in the buffet when I visited. A worker will load a plate with rice and put whatever you point at onto the plate. The two times I got the buffet I spent 17,000VND and 30,000VND (which was a huge plate of food with 8 different kinds of dishes).

The food is good. Some of it is not suited to western taste buds (bitter or spicy), so I recommend trying small amounts before comitting to a big scoop (if doing the buffet). I especially liked the cau lau which was only 15k and was better than the cau lau I tried at other veggie restaurants for much more (up to 50k). Like most "chay" restaurants, they use a lot of mock meat, but you can get stuff without it (or just pick it out).

The ambience is nothing special; it is geared towards locals and has basic tables under an awning attached to a house.

Overall I liked this place. The meals were filling for a very low price and it is conveniently located in the ancient town area.

• Visited January 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Choice for Veggies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is what we'd call in Singapore an "economy rice" place, which is a simple café with a selection of dishes in the warmer you can choose from to eat with rice or noodles. Normally I wouldn't review a stall, but if you're vegetarian or you're vegan and you're in another city you really need to find somewhere like this.

This café is humble, but it has good clean vegetarian food, mainly mock meats. It will probably be the cheapest meal you will eat in Vietnam.

TIP: Directly across the laneway is Tiem-Ca-Fhe Cafe, which is a bohemian hole-in-the-wall courtyard café with good drinks at local-friendly prices. It's got a great vibe, free wifi and very few tourists.

• Visited December 2013
“best price, best value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

top restaurant! good selection of vegetables and mock meat, pick for yourself, what and how much you want. including a portion of rice the price is in between 20.000 and 35.000 dong!

Visited June 2013