“Yuuuuuuummmmm” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Yuuuuuuummmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

So devastated that I found this place on my last day in Hoi An ! Such a good lunch - 100% give this place a go ! Only 20,000 per sandwich ! Such a good value, tasty lunch !

• Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Take that, Subway! :D”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I can't join the anthem of 'best Banh Mi', since this is my first, nor do I give much credence to the Bourdain hype. But as far a flavor sensations go, this thing hit a spot I did not even know existed in me, waiting patiently to discover Phuong Banh Mi in Hoi An. For a mere 20Kdong (1$) you get the best sandwich you will ever have. If you don't like it at first, go back and adjust .. more fire, less fire, with or without egg. I loved equally the non-secret sauce / non-herbs version my son ate as I enjoined the spice-gasm the 'Quens Lander' (#3 on the menu) gave me. A throng of local people lining up at 8PM surely was a great sign too. The lady spoke sufficient English and is still not tired of hearing people praising her craft, or may I say 'art'. Addictive!

I do not give 5stars lightly and this is surely no fine dining place, but as a 'simple' sandwich place, this takes the crown!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Adelaide, Australia
“Best Banh Mi I had in Hoi An”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I enjoyed this Banh Mi the best of those I had in Hoi An. At Phuong Banh Mi the bread was coming straight from next door at the bakery as they were being baked. This Banh Mi had a bit less chilli so I seemed to taste all the flavours better

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Best I've had so far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Best banh mi I've had to date. Previous best was the award winning Lee's bakery off Buford Hwy outside Atlanta. We were in Hoi An for about 20 hours and we managed to eat here twice. Once for lunch upon arrival and once for breakfast before departure. 2 visits, 5 sandwiches. I dare you to eat just one. The bread is perfectly crispy on the outside and buttery soft on the inside. Pork sits in a very flavorful broth while waiting to be plucked out and thrown on your sandwich. Vegetables are pickled and add more crunch and a nice acidity to the sandwich. I've rarely seen tomatoes on a banh mi but it works, whatever chili sauce they using is perfect. Hot and tangy without being overbearing. They open early, have them throw a fried egg on your sandwich and you'll be calling it the best breakfast ever. The place is immensely popular with tourist and locals alike(sign of a good place). Locals usually grab theirs to go while tourist grab a seat in the dining room. We are banh mi freaks and food nerds so we also tried The Banh Mi Queen at 115 Tran Cao, she's good but no where near this place in taste or popularity. I travel as much for food as anything and this place gave me goosebumps. Oh and its super cheap, not that price has had or ever will have an impact on how good I think a food is. Bon appetit!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Hedland, Australia
“Best banh mi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

It's not fancy but it's awesome.

Fresh, flavoursome & authentic.

It's got to be close to the best Banh Mi in Hoi An. I can't wait to go back!