“Not what I was expecting” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 406 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Diner, Vietnamese, Contemporary, Asian fusion
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Located in the historic centre of Hoi An. Set in a very traditional Japanese & Chinese shophouse. The setting and ambience is worth a visit
United Kingdom
“Not what I was expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My partner and I came here for our last night in Hoi An on the recommendation of some locals we met in Hoi An. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't thrilled either. I ordered "Asian Sin" which was described as Beef noodles, but came out what effectively was spaghetti bolognese made with noodles instead of spaghetti! My partner and I were hugely disappointed with dessert though. Not much choice, we ended up going for a won ton with fruit and chocolate thing, which just didn't work as a fusion dish.

The decor of the restaurant is pretty good - although we had a table by the window and whilst it was nice watching the world go by, we ended up being interrupted by street sellers selling all sorts of tat, it seems to be encouraged by the staff which I didn't feel was nice to endure whilst trying to have a meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
greenmangohanoi, Owner at Green Mango, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Isobel P,

I'm Hai, the owner of Green Mango restaurant in Hoi An not "other Mangoes" and as located on the second street, so we do not have the river-view though.

You ordered the spaghetti bolognese (We used the spaghetti No. 5 to cook with). We are not that cool!

Dessert, we do not have a "wonton with fruit and chocolate thing".

The last thing. We Green Mango team never support the kids from outside to interrupt our patron.

However, hope you enjoyed your trip in Vietnam!

Hai
Nguyen Thanh Hai

• Korean first
Hervey Bay, Australia
“Two Visits - Two Ratings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our first visit to Green Mango left us determined to return and we did. Our second visit wasn't quite the highlight that our first had been. The difference was our menu choices - well go figure - we enjoyed some of the dishes that we chose more than others. Our first visit choices were excellent. Our second visit choices were merely very good. Probably our fault to an extent. I think some members of our party were feeling a bit conservative second time round. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2012
T_diddy
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My partner and I chose Green Mango for my birthday meal. Having scoured Trip Advisor to find what looked like a good balance between food quality & price, we went to check out this place.

First impressions were good; the menu was extensive with lots of appealing options. The décor of the restaurant is amazing. We went for the cheapest bottle of sauvignon blanc at 450,000 vnd and it was very nice, no need to overspend if you have a budget, the cheapest was very good. I don't have to point out that this is around the price of a cheap restaurant bottle of wine in the UK or US though.

For a warm up we were given some lovely warm bread and a small mango spring roll, both were really good.

For our first course we chose the 'sample of appetizers' which was fantastic. Some great little treats.

Next we shared the smoked scallop salad with passion-fruit dressing which was almost great; the let-down was the actual scallops, they were tiny - the smallest I'd ever seen - which are always tasteless and disappointing. It's not the restaurants fault that they didn't taste great as you can't do much with scallops this small, but the menu should have indicated the size. The salad would have been just as great without them (at a cheaper price).

Now the meal went downhill. We ordered two main courses to share: The rigatoni and the White truffle and mushroom risotto. The rigatoni - while not totally a disaster - was overcooked, and unbelievably it had bright orange processed cheese on the top... we were confused to say the least at the inclusion of this cheap processed cheese.
The risotto was just nothing; it had zero flavour. If it had all the ingredients that the menu claimed, it surely would have been delicious. This isn't exaggerating but we've both tasted better cheap microwave packet risottos.

We left half of the risotto because it just wasn't worth eating. The waitress (who didn't speak a word of English) just smiled when we said it tasted of nothing. There was no further mention, either an apology or replacement or discount. 230,000 vnd for zero flavour.

So to conclude - we had a lot of hope on arrival and during the first portion of our meal... but the whole experience just dropped and by the end we were a bit annoyed at what we'd spent for my birthday occasion. The last thing we tasted was our wine, which was good (to try and end optimistically). For the price I would either hope for some better tasting food, by not ordering what we ordered, or go elsewhere.

To justify the 2/5 rating:

Wine: 4/5 - one off for the price and it wasn't chilled on arrival.
Décor: 5/5
Service: 2/5 - attentive with the wine (but it arrived warm) and we never really got a word spoken.
Bread & amuse bouche: 5/5
Appetizer: 5/5
Salad: 2/5. Not worth the price.
Mains: 0/5 - ruined our meal.
Value for money: 1/5

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Good all-round experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good food - very good staff. Offer a learn to cook Vietnamese session as well. Menu has a good range, and while a little pricey by Viet standards, we still talking cheaper than a pie and coke from an Aussie deli for a significant meal.
I had both a lunch and dinner here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
U,k
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Nice twist on traditional food . More catering for the western traveller pallet then authentic flavours . Nice feel to the restaurant,
Bit pricey for hoi an