“Terrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 311 Shopping in Hoi An
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: RIN MY TAILORS is a family owned and run business which offers old fashion friendly service and help from experienced staff speaking good English. We are located at the edge of the old town away from the hustle and bustle so you can shop in peace at your own pace. Enjoy a family atmosphere in a shop offering an extensive range of quality fabrics for both men and women. We make suits, shirts, coats, shorts, dresses, skirts, trousers. All garments are double stitched and a perfect fit is guaranteed or you get your money back. This is no risk shopping at keen prices. Bring photos, web pages, clothes to copy or browse through the in house catalogues. WIFI is available.
London, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Like all others, we read TA reviews and came to Rin My Fashion thinking we would come out with a whole new wardrobe. Unfortunately we could not have been more disappointed.

When we arrived, a family were already there selecting their items and being measured so we sat down to look at their pictures and decide what we wanted. The staff were busy with the family and apologised to us for making us wait - this wasn't a problem for us as the family had arrived first. We sat down with a lady and I described what I wanted and showed her pictures, then discussed materials with her and decided colours. At this point, I asked prices to be sure it was within budget, and was told not to worry and they would "sort me out". She then went out for a cigarette and another girl took over so I spent another hour explaining everything again - at this point my husband felt like they were too disorganised compared to the other tailors we had been to but I insisted we persevere as they have so many great reviews.

By the time they finished with the family, we had to go for an appointment elsewhere for shoes so said we would be back for our fitting. When I returned, not one member of staff even looked at me for at least 20 minutes and then after they finally started measuring me, she stopped every time a new customer walked in to assist them - they never did that for us in the morning! At this point, I started to become anxious and told the staff I had to leave in the next 10 minutes as I had already spent almost 4 hours with them and felt no closer to placing my order. The next big shock was the price - they quoted me $285 for 3 dresses (1 silk, 1 cotton and 1 polyester) and 1 cotton shorts - also, they were not prepared to negotiate at all. I could not believe it - the prices they quoted the family were much lower and they negotiated them down. At this point, my husband and I decided to walk out, having wasted the best part of a day here - the staff laughed at us as we left - no attempt to get us to stay at all.

As for food and water, in the morning, we were sat around the same table as the family looking at designs and they offered them food and coffee but completely ignored us.

In comparison, we were greeted the moment we entered Kimmys, the staff were nothing but attentive throughout and for $300 we got 2 silk dresses, 1 wool coat, 1 mens trouser, 1 mens shirt, 1 mens shorts and 1 ladies shorts.

I cannot understand why they treated us so badly when I saw them treat others so much better but from our experience, I would just say avoid this place completely.

Visited January 2013
hoahoian, Public Relations Manager at Rin My Fashion Tailors, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
At RIN MY every customer is treated with respect and courtesy. You know when you entered the shop you were offered coffee or water...you chose water. When you returned later in the day you were offered food which you declined. You were quoted $25.00 for your husband's shorts with the extra pockets , $18.00 for your shirt and $50.00 for each of 2 dresses in Thai silk and quality cotton.You were advised that RinMY does not make cheap polyester clothing and no quote was offered. This adds up to $143.00 and not $285.00 . We always quote our best price and our customers recognise good value when they see it and negotiation is unnecessary. Your offer of $15.00 for a quality custom made $50.00 dress is not worthy of consideration and is not worthy of the term ''negotiation''. Your review has caused us much distress and I am bemused by your version of events.Rin My has earned it's good reputation by excellent service and quality goods at fair prices . The vast majority of our TA reviews say so.

Newcastle, Australia
“Excellent Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Like most I came across Rin My through tripadvisor and was not let down by the quality they delivered. I ordered a two piece suit with shirt and a winter coat and every item was as if it came straight from the catalogue. The pricing was also quite reasonable. It can be very overwhelming when arriving in Hoi An given the sheer number of tailor shops but Rin My is certainly worth it for quality and value.

Visited January 2013
hoahoian, Public Relations Manager at Rin My Fashion Tailors, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us .We are very happy when our customers are happy with our service and clothing. As you have noted ,HoiAn has many tailor shops and competition is keen. We are ranked amongst the best of them according to TA. We will always do our best to maintain the reputation we have established through hard work and attention to our customers. Thank you for shopping at RinMy and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Sydney, Australia
13 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Tailors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I decided to visit Rin My tailors on the recommendation from trip advisor followers. Although the shop is considerably smaller than some of the other more well known shops in the town, the service and attention to detail is second to none. We arrived wanting suits made but had not really considered all the decisions which need to be made when making a suit. The girls were really helpful in explaining how design decisions would affect the overall look. We went back for a fitting the next morning and they were very conscientious about making sure the suit fitted perfectly. My husband was so impressed that he then had 5 shirts made. They all fit him perfectly and look fantastic. If you need a break from all the decision making, the coffee shop across the road Mia coffee makes the best coffee in all of Vietnam.

Visited January 2013
hoahoian, Public Relations Manager at Rin My Fashion Tailors, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your endorsement of our tailor shop and for taking the time to write to TA. We are not the biggest shop on the block but we aim to deliver the best advice and service to our customers. We are all extremely happy that our efforts met with your approval and look forward to your next visit .
Switzerland
“can recommend this tailor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I went to this tailor in december 2012 based on the good reviews in TA and this was a very good decision! the staff is not pushing you to by something but they are supporting you with constructive suggestions, because they are not only tailors they are designers as well. we bought for me 2 shirts and a winter jacket and for my wife 2 suites and one dress (designed by the owner herself) and we are very happy. prices are fair and the clothes are done in high quality. and the kao lao soup they served us when we get the clothes was the best we had in vietnam!

greetings to the whole staff and thank you very much!

Visited December 2012
Thank you for shopping at RinMy and for taking the time to write to TA on our behalf. All the staff here are very experienced and are happy to offer design advice as well as making sure that the clothes we make for you fit perfectly. We are pleased that you enjoyed the Cao Lau ...it is nice to mix a little business with pleasure.
Hamburg, Germany
“One of the most friendly experience during our whole trip in Vietnam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went to Rin My at the end of November 2012 after reading a lot of different blogs concerning tailor shop in Hoi An. Because of the recommendations here in TA we decided to go to Rin My.
The first impression was absolutely great. We mostly liked that while we´ve entered the shop we were very well recieved but weren´t pushed at all.
After having a view in the numerous catalogues I decided to go for a leather trousers and 4 dresses. Huan was very helpful and dedicated with choosing the fabrics and taking the measurements.
The amtmosphere in the whole shop was very open and familiar at all times.
At the end I was so happy with my dresses that my boyfriend felt the spontanious decision to buy 5 shirts and a suit as well.
During our stay in the shop and a fantastic dinner with Huan we only met clients who were absolutely happy and satisfied as well.
The prices are fair and the quality is very good.

Definitive recommendation and warm greetings to all the Rin My stuff from Germany.

Anja and Sven

Visited November 2012
hoahoian, Public Relations Manager at Rin My Fashion Tailors, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We are delighted to add both of you to our ever increasing number of happy customers . We make every effort to provide helpful advice and good attentive service without pressure. Hoa is a ''people person'' and enjoys the interaction with all her international customers. She is aware they are in an unfamiliar situation and tries hard to create a friendly family atmosphere. All at RinMy are pleased that your shopping experience with us was a great success and that we helped make you stay in HoiAn memorable .