“Very disappointing wax” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 36 Spas & Wellness in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Ba-Le Well Beauty Salon offers a comprehensive range of hair and beauty services for men and women. Services include hair cutting and colouring, manicures, pedicures, waxing and facials. We are well-known for our high quality facials, including our range of luxurious facial treatments using certified organic products. We operate from clean, comfortable & modern premises and use international brand-name products and equipment. We've been providing hair and beauty services for over 20 years and our manager is a UK-trained waxing specialist.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing wax”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I was impressed with the reviews on trip advisor and Ba-Le's website so emailed them to enquire about a wax...was told that they do Brazillians and that I should book because they get busy. So far so good.

When I arrived, no-body on site spoke English and the beautician hadn't arrived yet...things still o.k.ish...taken upstairs and asked to take everything off which is pretty awkward because we're not in a private room - just upstairs where anyone can walk up.
The wax starts out way too cold and keeps sticking and pulling, then the beautician (who is apparently British trained) applies the wax and rubs the strip in both directions...I'm not a qualified beautician but I've had enough waxes to know that you should rub the strip in the direction of the hair growth (low and behold plenty of hairs were left over).

The Brazillian I asked for didn't appear, though the beautician seemed to have good English and I'd specified in the email and at the session what I'd wanted. I still wasn't complaining as she seemed kind of put out already, I just asked her to change certain bits to get it more like I wanted. Towards the end she was plucking with her (gloved) hands for wax or strays I'm not sure; this was so painful and ineffective - never had someone do this part so badly. When it was 'finished' for the second time and it still wasn't right I gave up and left.

Overall not a good experience for a bikini wax; awkward, incomplete and poor technique. Also, for Vietnam - very expensive.
However, service was fast and the establishment was very clean. Perhaps the standard was very good for here I'm not sure, and it seems like other procedures are good according to reviews.

I'd be interested to hear how other people have found bikini waxes here!

Visited December 2011
utsukushii1, Owner at Ba-Le Well Beauty Salon, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Martha, we are very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at our salon. We have many customers choosing us for waxing services including a number of regular, repeat customers and all have been very happy with the services provided. It is a pity that you did not inform us of your concerns whilst you were in the salon as we would have been happy to have given you a full refund.

We import professional salon products and equipment from the UK at considerable expense in order to give our customers the very best quality possible. Despite the extra costs, our prices are not only comparable with other Hoi An salons but also cheaper than in the UK. We are therefore unsure why you would feel that our prices were “very expensive” for Vietnam?

Hoi An, Vietnam
3 attraction reviews
“good services good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

got a manicure and pedicure. Was very happy with my result, they took there time and new what they were doing, unlike alot of places in Vietnam. Very happy

Bangkok, Thailand
4 attraction reviews
“Wonderful little spa, with exceptional service and friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Fantastic little place - you wont regret a visit! We found the place the day after we went to another spa for some treatments and boy were we sorry we didnt come here! Wound up going in for eyebrow threading and was very happy with the results. The owners are terrific and very helpful with what and what not to do in regards to services they provide, as well as other things around town. Spotlessly clean, quiet charming location and prices are extremely reasonable and much better value than what you find elsewhere. Definitely stop in to treat yourself!

Hoi An
29 attraction reviews
“Go For the pamper package!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Decided to indulge with my overseas guest in a pamper package and of course the girls at Ba-Le didn't disappoint. We were treated to a deluxe facial, excellent massage, manicure and pedicure including fantastic nail art, lunch, coffee and of course professional hair services.

The weather might be a bit dreary at the moment in Hoi an but a visit to Ba-Le will brighten your day, thoroughly recommend it for all.

Visited October 2011
Memphis, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
“Ba-Le Well Does WELL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

With 200% humidity in Hoi An, I was looking for a salon to give me a hair straightening treatment. Ba-Le Well had good reviews so I went there. After looking at my hair, the owner said that I should not have it done... Instead of giving me the more expensive hair straightening treatment, she suggested a hair softening treatment. I also asked for a hair cut. I walked out of the salon with a beautiful cut/style & the frizz was gone. My husband stayed for a foot massage... he loved it! It is easy to communicate your needs at this salon. I would recommend Ba-Le Well if you are looking for a clean, professional salon in Hoi An. The salon is tucked back in an "ally"... look for the signage. The "ally" is a pleasant surprise... very nice area.