“The Original Taste Of Hoi An Food Tour with Neville Dean” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 137 Activities in Hoi An
Type: Walking tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: The food lovers' guide to Hoi An. Our tour is in two parts: firstly we take guests on a walking tour of the markets and streets meeting the local producers and vendors; we then invite guests back to our private air-conditioned dining room in the Ancient Town to taste carefully chosen examples of this food bought directly from the producers - most of whom we see or meet on the tour. The idea behind our tour is simple:in Hoi An there are around 120 restaurants catering to visitors with another 400 or so vendors and eating establishments catering to locals with foods that don't usually appear on visitor menus. This is the food of the local Hoi An people - some call it street food - many with recipes passed down from generation to generation. Our tour gives visitors a safe opportunity to try these foods - we ensure the food is handled hygienically and provide a comfortable venue for the tastings.
Adelaide, Australia
“The Original Taste Of Hoi An Food Tour with Neville Dean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

A must tour to do if you visit Hoi An. Neville, Colleen and his tour associate, Vietnamese lady , named Sen give you a very interesting insight to Vietnamese food and culture .You walk the streets of Hoi An and visit the markets,talk to the locals and much much more. You also get to meet Jim, a vietnamese man who is a great character. Please enjoy this food tour wth Neville,Colleen and Sen,sample the many,many great dishes of Vietnam as my wife and I did. Thankyou again Neville, enjoy Vietnam and its food as we did . Ray and Linda

Visited October 2012

“Such an informative tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Neville is an extremely entertaining and knowledgable guide. We tasted fantastic foods and met many very lovely people. We were given a map and intonation about all the food we tasted and this has been very useful for deciding where and what to eat subsequently. A great tour to do as soon as you arrive in Hoi An.

Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our year-long trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I like to consider ourselves amateur foodies and adventurous eaters. We love being around other people who feel the same way. Neville and his wife Colleen and the team they have assembled are not only fellow foodies, they know exactly what you want and how you want it. You will eat until you burst, and then some, and every single thing you taste will be unique and delicious in its own way. You will gain an even greater appreciation for the Vietnamese people and their cuisine with its playfulness, purpose, and polish. Sen and Tam (?) are both fantastic and have taken it upon themselves to make sure you are introduced to the BEST Hoi An has to offer - they want you to love their country and its cuisine as much as they do, and they make it happen by being organized, helpful, and kind. The tour is a little pricey for a backpacker budget like ours, but is COMPLETELY worth it - I'd do it again tomorrow if my stomach could handle it!

Sydney, N.S.W.
9 attraction reviews
“Wish I had this experience on the first day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was in Hoi An at the end of my trip to Vietnam (north only). While I enjoyed all my experiences, this Tour would have enhanced my enjoyment and knowledge of the food if it had occurred at the beginning of my trip. I tried a number of foods I normally wouldn't have bothered with. Menus in restaurants had a range of Vietnamese foods that I knew I liked without being challenged so I was missing out on experiencing the full breadth of Vietnamese cuisine. Neville and his wife, Colleen, work well with the local community to ensure we had a taste of everyday foods which are commonly sold on the streets by women using bamboo poles to lug their pots, pans, bowls and stoves around. Neville has great knowledge and terrific staff and they all interact positively with the locals. Colleen is quiet, efficient and charming. I just needed more time to find and eat more of the foods we were shown. WARNING: Do not even think of eating before the tour and try everything - even things that seem unappealing. I learnt so much on this tour. It was worth the money even though it was more expensive than the cooking classes that are common in Hoi An because it wasn't just about the food.

Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Hoi An Food Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Do this tour first in Hoi An!
Neville is a real character, and will show you the ins and outs of eating in Hoi An.
We felt armed with the best knowledge after the tour and repeatedly went to the best and most genuine street food for the rest of our stay.
Neville & Co are the best hosts and we crossed paths throughout our stay much to our mutual delight.
This tour was the highlight of our stay in Vietnam and made our time there something we are keen to repeat as much as possible.
Six Stars - Bravo Neville & Co!