“A worthwhile thing to do” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 137 Activities in Hoi An
Type: Tours, Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: The non-profit Lifestart Foundation Workshop is a not for profit charity offering visitors to Hoi An art and craft classes as well as the opportunity to find out more about the charity. The half day tours available include the opportunity to make a Hoi An lantern, one-on-one dialogue with Lifestart Foundation workshop members and a traditional painting class. At the end of your experience you'll have one small Hoi An lantern and your hand painted notecard to take home and share with friends. All of the money raised goes towards helping local people in difficult situations become self-sufficient. The schedule for the half day tour is included below. 9:00 - Meet at the Lifestart Foundation Workshop at 77 Phan Chu Trinh9:15 - Traditional Painting Class10:30 - An opportunity to meet the makers at the Lifestart Foundation Workshop, find out how Lifestart Foundation is helping people from disadvantaged backgrounds and see how some of the other products are made.11:00 - Lantern making class12:00 - End of your tour. We'll be happy to introduce you to a good restaurant where you can taste some local specialties.The half-day can also be run between 14:00 and 17:00 if preferred. Includes free Vietnamese tea served hot or cold.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Singapore, Singapore
“A worthwhile thing to do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I found the mini-lantern making a worthwhile thing to do and appropriately timed during the MidAutumn Festival for you to bring back to Singapore. Reminds me of childhood memories of carrying lighted lanterns in the old home backyard during the Festival. I was very impressed by the work done there especially that they make use of the idea of recycling using paper magazines to make intricate paper ear-rings, coasters and carrier bags. I would encourage new travellers to try out this workshop. It brings me back to schooldays handicraft work time.

Brisbane, Australia
“something very worthwhile to do in hoi an”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I strongly recomend for everyone who goes to hoi an to male a visit to the lifestart foundation it makes you realise how very lucky we are. Having a sister who is mentally changlend it was wonderful to see how one person can change the lives of so many who really need it. I booked for the painting and lantern making unfortunately the person teaching the painting was sick so l only went to the lantern making which gave me a real buz as l am not artistic at all and l came away with a little lantern made be me which was very satisfying.l was very interested in finding out all l could about this organisation and the lantern teacher was very informative about the people and lifestart also was imoressed that the money from the sales of items in the shop went back to the people whommade them. I came home with my lantern amd a stuffed monkey for my grand daughter who will one day be told the whole story of lifestart thankyou to all your staff who were very pleasant l had a most enjoyable afternoon

Visited September 2013
LifestartFoundation, Founder at Lifestart Foundation Workshop, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed the experience wendy k! Hope you're grand daughter enjoyed her gift.
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Best thing to do in hoi an on a stormy day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I managed to get into the lantern making class at the last minute before a typhoon hit. I know, priorities, right? It was such a great thing to do, even if it had been sunny out. Learned how to make my own Vietnamese style lantern and ended up buying a few more. The handicrafts here won't cost you anymore than at the markets, and you know they go directly into the pocket of the maker. So I decided to purchase here instead. High quality, lovely people, worthwhile cause, but most of all, now I can make my own lanterns!!! And make as many as I want. Teacher is great and the workshop is so much fun. Best thing ever. Better than all those tailors. Thank you.

Visited October 2013
LifestartFoundation, Founder at Lifestart Foundation Workshop, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed the lantern making class Lana S! Dung, the teacher, sends a big thank you and so do the makers your purchases supported. Hope you made it through the storm alright!
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Brilliant tour, great shopping!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

What a fantastic organisation!
I participated in the painting and lantern making class and thoroughly enjoyed both!
The class begins at the workshop, with a walk through the old town and down to the river before boating across to the lighthouse for the first part of the tour - the painting class. The teacher, Sinh is full of energy and makes sure that everyone leaves with a work of art. Then, back to the workshop for lantern making with Dung who is friendly and encouraging throughout the class despite my lack of artistic skills! Both teachers provide great information on the history of each class and the tour is wrapped up with a short video on Lifestart.
Finishing up at the workshop offers the opportunity to meet some of the recipients of the charitable work of Lifestart and some time for a little shopping. I was able to do most of my souvenir shopping here and love knowing that my purchase will support some of women I met at the workshop.

Visited August 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“A great addition to a stay in Hoi An”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked on the half day lantern making workshop and loved it! They needed a minimum of 2 people for the class to run and there was only me who was booked on so I had to pay the price for 2 people (500,000 VND), but it was still definitely worth it.
I also got to meet a couple of the ladies who have been taught to make crafty things to sell in the shop and they receive 100% of the profits for anything sold to allow them to buy more craft materials and support themselves.
Even if you just visit the shop, its a fantastic place to pick up some souveneirs and gifts to take home. No bartering required, just good prices with all the money going back to the people who need it.
Excellent experience

Visited September 2013
LifestartFoundation, Founder at Lifestart Foundation Workshop, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
We appreciate you supporting our tour and shop Helen W. We’re glad you had the chance to meet some of the makers and see how your contribution is making a difference!