“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Service very poor. For the first time in 2weeks we had to ask to be served. We weren't offered chopsticks. There was Heinz Tomato Ketchup on table. Slightly higher prices. Many better restaurants in the area

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Having yesterday been on the Taste of Hoi An Food Tour, I was ready to stretch my wings (taste buds) and use my new found knowledge to order Vietnamese food I knew I'd like. I found this Vietnamese restaurant on Tripadvisor, choosing Red Dragon for its high rating, and proximity to my hotel.

I knew from the tour that I wanted the large crispy wanton with the Vietnamese salsa on top as my appetizer (Hoanh Thanh Chien). I showed the smiling,helpful waiter the name of what I wanted from my tour reference materials, and he found it for me on the menu. Looking through the Vietnamese dishes on the menu, seeing the caramelized pork and now knowing that pork is the primary meat here, figured I'd go for it.

My crispy wanton arrived: 3 large ones, beautiful, piping hot, and each had a succulent shrimp placed on the top of the salsa. Superb.

Next, the pork was seasoned and cooked perfectly. I was able to communicate with the owner whose English is good, and meet the chef, and asked if this was prepared in the true Vietnamese manner, or was it fusion - the pork was served in the form of 3 generous medallions, not what I usually see in Vietnamese restaurants. He explained that the ingredients and manner of cooking was true Vietnamese, but the sizing was adapted to Western tastes for ease of eating - it's usually made into strips.

The setting was that of a very nice restaurant - linen tablecloth and napkins. The cost of my meal, with my pot of tea: $8.

Go, and give your taste buds a treat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Good asian food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I visited this restaurant a year ago and the food was great but the service was terrible to the point of funny. Something was happening in the kitchen which then affected the service. BUT the food was very good so we decided to give it another go this time. Well, I was very happy with everything that we returned 5 times in 6 days.
As we like to sit at the front many people looked at the menu then looked inside, I told a few people how nice the food was and to come in. To my relief the same people then return the following night.
My picks are the stuffed squid and sticky pork with fruit salad, yum.

Brisbane, Australia
“Use of herbs lifts this food above the competition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is a great restaurant and really good news for people staying in the hotels along Cua Dai road. It is good to know that you don't have to go all the way in to the old town to get great food. We had mostly Hoi An specialty dishes and they were all great. The chicken and lemongrass rice paper rolls, ban xeo and cau lau were all very good. We are staying in Hoi An for a year and will bring our visitors here for sure!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Vancouver
“We agree”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

It is not only great food, but great people too. Although they were out of the wine we ordered from the list, they sent someone out to get it! Plus, they agreed to cater a cooking lesson to just the four of us with the dishes we want to make. Fantastic - don't miss the Red Dragon!

• Visited January 2014