“great pick!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 133 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“great pick!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We loved staying here-- the workers were great, our room was clean and a great value. The pool area and bar were nice and a good area to meet people. Great breakfast buffet. We liked how the location was between the beach and the downtown area. The staff went above and beyond and even mailed us something we left behind. Truly a great pick!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

A little out if town, on the road to the beach, the Sunflower Hotel is very well run. The breakfast buffet is really good value for money (being included in our room rate) and we had freshly cooked fried eggs / omelettes / pancakes every day.

The pool and sunbeds were great for relaxing and it didn't seem busy, despite being quite small.

The shuttle bus was excellent - any time we wanted to go into town they would call up the driver for us. It's meant to run every half hour, but seems to go on demand. We were impressed and tipped the driver $1 each run which seemed to surprise and delight him. He was a lovely guy and took us to the bus station at 7am (when the shuttle service was not due to start until 9am)

Immaculately clean, very friendly and helpful staff on reception. Definitely highly recommended.

We also walked to the beach - its a mile or so, but easy as its just one straight road. Stopped at the Dingo Deli for coffee half way... More Aussie than Vietnamese, but very nice too.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

It is a good idea to book accommodation in Hoi An in advance during busy times of the year. My husband and I were here over New Years Eve and ended up at Sunflower because all the more popular accommodation options were booked out. Having said that, we had no major complaints with Sunflower.

The rooms are a bit old and worn, but they were clean and airy. The complimentary breakfast buffet is ok if you remember this is not a 5 star hotel and you’re not paying 5 star prices. The hotel is a little way out of the centre of Hoi An, which meant it took us about 20mins to walk in, or 5 mins on a bike (which you hire for $1/day outside the hotel). The staff were helpful and friendly.

I would stay here again if I had to, but I’d probably prefer to look for options a bit closer to the town centre.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a really great stay here. I loved the breakfast in the morning, the rooms are clean and spacious, the pool area is great, and it's easy to meet people if you're a solo traveller. The staff are very helpful, a lovely treat is they offer a free pick-up service if you arrive by bus, and on arrival you get a nice cold wet towel and a glass of passionfruit juice. There are bikes to hire right outside for $1 a day, and it's not far to ride into town or to the beach. There was one thing I was not happy with (they booked me a bus to Pleiku to get across the Cambodian border and they told me the wrong arrival time which meant I missed my border crossing) but I emailed them to complain about this and within the hour the owner had written back to me saying they are going to stop working with the bus company because they gave them the wrong details, they would refund me the bus ticket price AND the hotel cost of the hotel I had to stay at in Pleiku due to missing the border crossing. This I thought was exceptional customer service and due to this I am even more impressed with Sunflower hotel and would certainly go back!
AND please please please try the restaurant right next door, it's run by three young sisters and the food is probably the best I tried in Vietnam. We went there two nights in a row and didn't try one thing that we didn't love.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Hoi An doesn't have a lot of traditional options for backpackers but the Sunflower Hotel is awesome. It's a short walk from the bus stop (at least from where the bus stopped for us coming from Nha Trang). The breakfast is amazing, hands down the best included breakfast I had at a hostel/hotel in SEA. The mattresses are super comfortable and the rooms are clean. I actually stayed in three different rooms in the four nights I was there, as I parted ways with one new friend and joined a couple of others. The pool area is very nice and the garden bar has free billiards. The staff was good, though omelette/pancake girl refused to smile no matter what I did! :) As an aside, I found that to be common in Vietnam: people, particularly in service jobs, are either very warm or stone cold... What's that all about?

In any case, omelette girl didn't spoil my stay at this place. I highly recommend it. Rent a bicycle and explore the beautiful old city and bike the other way along the river down to the beaches.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Sunflower hotel in Hoi An is much better than we expected. The room was quiet (which is important to me), big & clean. The reception girls are nice, thoughtful & willing to help. They can speak good English so no problem to communicate. Hai impressed us most that she customized a trip to Da Nang for us with less pay. We moved to another expensive hotel nearby after staying two evenings at Sunflower, which enabled us to compare. One of the advantages to stay at Sunflower is the reasonable charge. For example, laundry is only 21k VND per kilo vs 35k somewhere else. US$6 per person for My Son trip VS higher prices, taxi fee is cheaper etc. breakfast was okay, not suggest to have lunch or dinner here as just opposite the hotel, a restaurant named Solo provides great food. Hotel locates 20 minutes by bike to Cua dai beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is a must. Its close to town, close enough to the beach via bike or moped, and the staff are helpful and lovely. The breakfast which is included has a great selection. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple