“Great getaway ocean side” 4 of 5 stars

Ancient House River Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Hamlet 2, Cam Thanh ward, Hoi An 84 510, Vietnam   |
Ranked #61 of 79 hotels in Hoi An
Paris, France
“Great getaway ocean side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were here with a group of friends. After traveling Vietnam's busy cities, we were glad to be able to completely relax and enjoy ourselves here. First thing they did was serve us cool towels and excellent ginger tea - so refreshing after all the traveling! A nice gesture I still remember. Rooms are very spacious, large, and help you quickly feel at ease.

My only issue was the noise coming from the pool after 10pm. It seemed like this was not regulated, and we even heard some neighbors screaming at people in the pool- which wasn't pleasant either. Might be helpful for staff to put quiet hours for people who want to enjoy the pool later.

What was most amazing for me was seeing the village where the spa is located. It is crazy to have a 4 star resort situated next to homes that have tin roofs. There is a traditional vietnamese sandwich stop down the street. If you are not vietnamese, she will probably charge you 20k+, if you're Vietnamese the sandwich is only 10-15k. We had various experiences :)

There is a shuttle every 1-2 hours (latest is at 930pm) if you want to get into Hoi An's busier streets. There is a fantastic car service to the airport that runs about 10 USD cheaper than taking a taxi!!!

Overall, hospitable staff, fantastic service, relaxing environment. Great view overlooking the water for dinner/breakfast!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
OceaneBataillon, General Manager at Ancient House River Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Daisy N,

From all the team of Ancient House River Resort, thank you, for your stay with us as well as for your review about our services. We are glad to read that your stay was peaceful and relaxing. I will directly fix the problem for noise at pool with a board. Be sure that we do our best to offer best quality service to our customers.

We hope you could come again to relax in our typical spa or on the riverside restaurant.
Wish you an excellent day.

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Firstly I'll apologize to Goul and the staff for the lateness of this review as we visited in mid June, The hotel is absolutely Wonderful as we were staying for two weeks( which wasn't too long!) they upgraded us to the top room for the whole duration of our stay,gave my Wife and I free massages and gave us a lovely gift on checking out! everyone was so polite and helpful and was greeted by a lovely smile at every turn. the fact that the hotel was never in the town or by the beach made it unique and was a great place to explore from,.. and do try to visit the lovely family run bar/restaurant across the road as again they are wonderful friendly people,
Given half the chance i'd gladly go back and stay in the very same hotel,I can not speak highly enough,

Ian & Carly

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ian & Carly ,

Thank you very much for your review, it is a pleasure to read you. I am happy that you recommend our resort to other travelers as the unique experience you have had with us made you delighted. I will transfer your nice review to all my staff, to make them know that you have highly appreciated our services and amenities. We wqish that you could come back for another two weeks holiday in our little piece of heaven in central Vietnam.

We wish you all the best.
Have a nice day, from all team of Ancient House River Resort, Thank you.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our tour of Vietnam most mostly city break so we wanted to have one part which was in contrast. This hotel fitted the bill perfectly for the 4 nights we were there. The view from our upgraded suite was of a paddy field with water buffalo wallowing in the mud pools. The Hotel's swimming pool was cool and relaxing, the staff were incredibly friendly. They were also keen to help us.

We arranged a car pick up from Da Nang airport to take out the hassle factor of the transfer. It worked smoothly with no hitches.

As other contributors have written, the shuttle bus to the old town was frequent and on time. The Hotel had a good supply of bicycles which we used on 3 days.

The rate for the room was by far the best value (quality for the price) of all the hotels we stayed in during our trip.

The place was half empty though. Apparently mid June is a quiet period for them. I suspect though as their reputation grows it will not be that way for long.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melboune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in hoi an for 5 nights, and we were so glad we did! We were showed to our room and swept away by how awesome our room was! With an open plan bathroom and bedroom area it was perfect for us when we wanted to relax. We had an amazing view of the pool and had lovely breakfast each morning overlooking the river!
We organised to do the 'discover the river life' tour and we highly recommend!
We used the free shuttle service to the beach and to the town everyday which was very reliable and a great thing to have as the hotel is a bit away from the town!
We also ate at the little restruant across the road from the hotel and loved every meal! Very cheap and run by an amazing family!
We loved our stay at the Ancient House River Resort!!

• Stayed June 2014
OceaneBataillon, General Manager at Ancient House River Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Britto1m,

Thank you very much for recommending Ancient House River Resort to other travellers. We really work on offering the best quality stay to our guests and on providing them a relaxing and comfortable moment. I am glad to read that you have appreciated our tour Discover the River Life, we are working in collaboration with locals to provide the most authentic excursion and really make guest discover what fishermen daily life looks like. I am also happy to hear that your room was a perfect place to relax and enjoy the view on our swimming pool.

We hope taht you could come again for living another moment od real pleasure.
Have a nice day.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friends and I had a terrific and relaxing time during our two-night stay at the Ancient House River Resort and Spa. From the warm waters of the swimming pool to the picturesque restaurant on the riverfront, we couldn't have found a better price and place to unwind after the hustle and bustle of Hanoi.

The design and architecture of the rooms were quite the pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much since the hotel was so inexpensive, but I was blown away by the simplicity and elegance of the Indochine-inspired decor.

The service at the hotel was spot-on and everyone was happy and willing to help my friends and me with whatever we needed. Plus, a free shuttle bus ran to-and-from Hoi An Ancient Town throughout the day, making it easy to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site without shelling out money on a cab.

My only gripe would be with the complimentary breakfast, since the food choices and quality were not great, but that can be easily overlooked when taking into account everything else the hotel has to offer. Not to mention, there's a delicious bánh mì shop right around the corner just in case you weren't satisfied with your morning meal :)

All in all, if you're looking for a quiet oasis away from the honking horns and crowds of the city center, take a leap of faith and check into the Ancient House River Resort and Spa.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear camillediem,

I would like to thank you for your comment about our Resort, that helps us to go forward and to offer better quality service. I will take your feedback in consideration and do the best to uplift our services. We are glad to offer our guests a relaxing place, far from noisy center and to make you discover Vietnamese life style.

We hope to see you again at Ancient House River, thanks for recommending us.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My girlfriend and I stayed in Hoi An for 4 days so we wanted a hotel that was away from the busy tourist streets but still a little classy and romantic. we landed only at 1.30pm at Da nang airpot and requested a hotel driver to pick us up to directly bring us to our location, which cost $35 USD. I would advise people to take this option because the hotel is a little hard to find and taking a taxi from the airport would cost a lot more.

Our rooms were facing the garden, on the ground floor. It was the closest room to breakfast. Only problem was the outdoor shower. it was a interesting experience but you feel a little lack of privacy because its not really covered very well. But besides that, the room was amazing. We got a huge king size bed, loved the stone bathtub and best of all they give each room a laptop that is attached to free wifi!

Although a limited and repeated selection on the buffet it was compensated by the location. Overlooking the river, watching the fisherman going about their daily routines and just experiencing nature before starting our day made Breakfast perfect.

The free shuttle bus was very useful, only problem would be the frequency. It departs to the town centre twice in the morning, afternoon and evening. Word of advice, try and make it for the shuttle timings because each oneway taxi trip would cost about 110 000 VND ($6USD).

Ultimately, we had a perfect trip, which was not compromised because of the distance, rather it enhanced the experience. Would recommend this it anyone thinking of travelling to Hoi An!!

Room Tip: Get the rooms with the outdoor shower. Worth the experience!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Shankie_C,

Thanks a lot for your review about our Resort. It is nice to have your feedback and to give us some advices to make our place and service better. I will re schedule shuttle bus to allow guest to have a larger choice to use the service and to reach town and beach.

I already planned to work on outdoor areas to make it really private and to make this space a real advantage for our guests.

Again, thank you for trusting in the potential of Ancient House River Resort.
Have a nice day and see you soon in Vietnam.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went to this hotel for 3 week, what a fantastic hotel and people. Even when the shuttle bus was not due the staff paid for us taxis into town (french manager we luv u). The staff were like our family by the end of the holiday.
As for the place, go there if you want to be in real Vietnam, little village with a lit bar over the road where we hired motor bikes every day for £3, had a cold beer and got to know the family. We still correspond now!!
Hello to all the staff, I am sure you remember Lisa and Paddy from May 2014... Towels changed twice a day and relaxation if you want. Hoi an town 15 minutes away as is the beach, 50p for a beer and 70p for 20 fags, bliss. Food in Hoi an to die for. Get me back x

Room Tip: Upper room over pool, not for people who want a party, beautiful location with fab surroundings, but...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Lisa and Paddy,
Happy to hear news from you after your stay among us. Thanks a lot or your review on Tripadvisor, I am so glad to read taht your stay was great and that you have had a super experience at Ancient House River Resort. It is really important for my team and I to make you discover authentic Vietnamese kindness and way of life. We hope that you could come again for your next vacation and spend more time with us.

I will say to my team that you posted a really nice comment and say hello to them.
Have an excellent day.

See you soon.

BATAILLON Oceane.

Been to Ancient House River Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!