“The best hotel of our trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Ancient House River Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Hamlet 2, Cam Thanh ward, Hoi An 84 510, Vietnam   |
Ranked #61 of 79 hotels in Hoi An
Melboune
“The best hotel of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in hoi an for 5 nights, and we were so glad we did! We were showed to our room and swept away by how awesome our room was! With an open plan bathroom and bedroom area it was perfect for us when we wanted to relax. We had an amazing view of the pool and had lovely breakfast each morning overlooking the river!
We organised to do the 'discover the river life' tour and we highly recommend!
We used the free shuttle service to the beach and to the town everyday which was very reliable and a great thing to have as the hotel is a bit away from the town!
We also ate at the little restruant across the road from the hotel and loved every meal! Very cheap and run by an amazing family!
We loved our stay at the Ancient House River Resort!!

• Stayed June 2014

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My friends and I had a terrific and relaxing time during our two-night stay at the Ancient House River Resort and Spa. From the warm waters of the swimming pool to the picturesque restaurant on the riverfront, we couldn't have found a better price and place to unwind after the hustle and bustle of Hanoi.

The design and architecture of the rooms were quite the pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much since the hotel was so inexpensive, but I was blown away by the simplicity and elegance of the Indochine-inspired decor.

The service at the hotel was spot-on and everyone was happy and willing to help my friends and me with whatever we needed. Plus, a free shuttle bus ran to-and-from Hoi An Ancient Town throughout the day, making it easy to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site without shelling out money on a cab.

My only gripe would be with the complimentary breakfast, since the food choices and quality were not great, but that can be easily overlooked when taking into account everything else the hotel has to offer. Not to mention, there's a delicious bánh mì shop right around the corner just in case you weren't satisfied with your morning meal :)

All in all, if you're looking for a quiet oasis away from the honking horns and crowds of the city center, take a leap of faith and check into the Ancient House River Resort and Spa.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My girlfriend and I stayed in Hoi An for 4 days so we wanted a hotel that was away from the busy tourist streets but still a little classy and romantic. we landed only at 1.30pm at Da nang airpot and requested a hotel driver to pick us up to directly bring us to our location, which cost $35 USD. I would advise people to take this option because the hotel is a little hard to find and taking a taxi from the airport would cost a lot more.

Our rooms were facing the garden, on the ground floor. It was the closest room to breakfast. Only problem was the outdoor shower. it was a interesting experience but you feel a little lack of privacy because its not really covered very well. But besides that, the room was amazing. We got a huge king size bed, loved the stone bathtub and best of all they give each room a laptop that is attached to free wifi!

Although a limited and repeated selection on the buffet it was compensated by the location. Overlooking the river, watching the fisherman going about their daily routines and just experiencing nature before starting our day made Breakfast perfect.

The free shuttle bus was very useful, only problem would be the frequency. It departs to the town centre twice in the morning, afternoon and evening. Word of advice, try and make it for the shuttle timings because each oneway taxi trip would cost about 110 000 VND ($6USD).

Ultimately, we had a perfect trip, which was not compromised because of the distance, rather it enhanced the experience. Would recommend this it anyone thinking of travelling to Hoi An!!

Room Tip: Get the rooms with the outdoor shower. Worth the experience!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
OceaneBataillon, General Manager at Ancient House River Resort & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Shankie_C,

Thanks a lot for your review about our Resort. It is nice to have your feedback and to give us some advices to make our place and service better. I will re schedule shuttle bus to allow guest to have a larger choice to use the service and to reach town and beach.

I already planned to work on outdoor areas to make it really private and to make this space a real advantage for our guests.

Again, thank you for trusting in the potential of Ancient House River Resort.
Have a nice day and see you soon in Vietnam.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We went to this hotel for 3 week, what a fantastic hotel and people. Even when the shuttle bus was not due the staff paid for us taxis into town (french manager we luv u). The staff were like our family by the end of the holiday.
As for the place, go there if you want to be in real Vietnam, little village with a lit bar over the road where we hired motor bikes every day for £3, had a cold beer and got to know the family. We still correspond now!!
Hello to all the staff, I am sure you remember Lisa and Paddy from May 2014... Towels changed twice a day and relaxation if you want. Hoi an town 15 minutes away as is the beach, 50p for a beer and 70p for 20 fags, bliss. Food in Hoi an to die for. Get me back x

Room Tip: Upper room over pool, not for people who want a party, beautiful location with fab surroundings, but...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Lisa and Paddy,
Happy to hear news from you after your stay among us. Thanks a lot or your review on Tripadvisor, I am so glad to read taht your stay was great and that you have had a super experience at Ancient House River Resort. It is really important for my team and I to make you discover authentic Vietnamese kindness and way of life. We hope that you could come again for your next vacation and spend more time with us.

I will say to my team that you posted a really nice comment and say hello to them.
Have an excellent day.

See you soon.

BATAILLON Oceane.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were initially disappointed that we were out of town but the free shuttle bus into Hoi An meant that the resort is the best of both worlds ie a relaxed rural position between town and the beach. A cool drink in the restaurant at night watching the ebbing river was a highlight. Free bicycle hire makes a trip to the beach easy. The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: River view room with views past the bounteous bougainvillea
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

OceaneBataillon, General Manager at Ancient House River Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Anne B,

Thank you for your review and sharing with experience with other travellers. I am glad ter read that you have had a great time with us. It s always a pleasure to make our best to offer you a relaxing and comfortable stay.

We hope to see you again at Ancient House River Resort.
Have a nice day.

Billericay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Sadly this hotel did not live up to all its claims. Of particular note is the fact that breakfast at the riverside restaurant was always late although I suspect that the start time signified when the staff would arrive to prepare and display the food rather than serve. This was inconvenient especially if the holiday itinerary demands an early departure.

The room was comfortable with no outstanding feature worthy of mention, but it did provide all that was necessary. The location being 3 km out of town was a negative point for Hoi An is a most interesting town. my advice would be to try and get accommodation nearer the centre.

Room Tip: As above, although this hotel provides all the basics for those wishing to see more of Hoi An I woul...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
OceaneBataillon, General Manager at Ancient House River Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Keith P,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers. Your feedback is important for my team and I. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not the best you have had. I am surprised to hear that the breakfast was not ready early, normally at 6.45 am everything is set up so I wonder what time did you come to the restaurant ? Sorry for the inconvenience caused, be sure that I will remind my staff to be ready on time.

Concerning rooms' layout, it is a choice to make it simple but chic, we wanted to respect the authentic Vietnamese style so I am sorry if you didn t like it.

I will take in consideration your feedback, thank you for this review.
Have a nice day.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for our last leg of our honeymoon; the hotel organised a taxi for us from the airport and welcomed us with a nice cool drink and a cold towel (thank you); the room was beautiful overlooking the garden, pool and the river; the cooking class was great fun which included the trip to the market on a boat, we wished we could speak Vietnamese to communicate with the locals in the market; the only slight negative to the cooking class was that the chef did not warn us about the fact that tumeric can really stain our fingers and nails so we ended up with yellow fingers as a proof of great cooking; the shuttle bus to the centre of Hoi An was good and the drivers very friendly and nice; the staff in the hotel nice and smily; breakfast was ordinary ( the croissants were dry and hard every day but the fruits seemed fresh and omlet was good)

We decided to give a poor review as on the last day of our stay I noticed that my brand new £100 trainers were missing from my room. I have reported it to the reception but they advised that there is nothing they can do. As we left I was disapointed to not receive any appologies even after I asked to check their CCTV cameras. For this very reason I was left with a bitter taste and I don't feel confident in recommending this hotel to others. So disapoining to have this at the end of our honeymoon! :(

Room Tip: room with a river view is nice and quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
OceaneBataillon, General Manager at Ancient House River Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear,

I am really disappointed to see your bad review, especially when you noticed that you appreciated everything about the hotel.

I was there when you came to Reception, several times, I personnaly apologized for what just happened to you, my assistant Ms Nhung also, as well as Ms Linh the Receptionist, I was there in person so please don't say that my staff didn't apologize for this sad situation.

Indeed I perfectly understand that you feel sad and pissed off by having lost one of your expenssive shoes but anyway it has not been "stolen" from my staff, I checked it personnaly. What do you want them to do with only one shoe?

So again I am sorry for what happened to you and I apologize for not having able to figure out where you shoe has been lost in Hoi An, and wish you a good day.

BATAILLON Oceane

Been to Ancient House River Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!