“Arrogant, repulsive owner” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #186 of 407 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: English
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: British Vietnamese bar serving really ice cold beer and bar snacks. Escape from the crowd in HoiAn yet still manage to enjoy the town. Our views back across the water to HoiAn are fabulous - a photographers dream. Chillout on our open balcony and enjoy the magnificent sunsets with your favourite sundowner. Listen to great music until late. We are an easy 10 minute walk across the Cam Nam bridge and directly opposite the HoiAn market.
Roatan, Honduras
“Arrogant, repulsive owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went into this place with my girlfriend looking for a place to eat and found the owner and a couple of his friends drinking at the bar. We are both long term travelers/bloggers and found the owner of this place to have the attitude we have occasionally come across of an expat who believes he can say and do whatever he wants.
We asked about food and he was being very short with us and seemed more interested in having a laugh with his friends at the bar. We mentioned about maybe coming back later for a cocktail (trying to be nice), to which he replied to my girlfriend "I don't know about that, you look like the kind of girl who will get on the bar after a drink and take off all your clothes" and then had a laugh with his friends. Needless to say we left with a bitter taste in our mouth.
**Stay well clear, people like this do not deserve your money!**

• Visited January 2013

Winnipeg
“sleepy gecko guesthouse - disappointing stay. not recommended!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

this is a review for sleepy gecko guesthouse - not really the restaurant, but I can't find a separate lusting for the guesthouse.

I had a difficult time finding accommodation for over Christmas in hoi an, but was happy when I found this place on agoda.com. there weren't any reviews for the guesthouse on agoda or trip advisor, but I did find a favorable one on travel fish (http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/2012/07/12/sleepy-gecko-hoi-an/). it was a bit if a splurge (for Vietnam standards) at $30/night, but we wanted to stay somewhere nice for Christmas.

overall, we were extremely disappointed with our stay at sleepy gecko. but first the positive points:
a) they picked us up at the airport for free
b) they upgraded us to a bigger room since there had been a cancellation
c) they let us pick anything off the menu for our free breakfast. we had a big western style breakfast each morning and it was great! bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast etc.

now for the bad:
a) the owner greeted us the first night and was quite friendly, but we didn't see him again until our last night. this was unfortunate because the Vietnamese staff spoke very little English and communication was difficult. overall, the staff seemed to sit around a lot and were not overly helpful. we had to constantly seek them out to order food, find out the status of our laundry etc. (speaking if the laundry, it took them days and smelled very musty once if was done)

b) we rented a motorcycle from them but it was right on empty. one of the employees pointed to the gas gauge right before we left, indicating we needed to get gas. we ended up driving three minutes (looking got a gas station) when it died in the middle of the road. we had to walk back to sleepy gecko and tried to explain what happened. they seemed unhappy but tried to get another bike started so my husband could show them where the stranded bike was. (all their bikes were empty, but the managed to get one started so they could rescue the other one).

my husband and I ended up renting a bike from somewhere else, where the owner helpfully informed us that you can get gas at these tiny little pumps at the side of the road - would've been helpful if someone from sleepy gecko had filled us in.

c) there is literally no house keeping. our garbage was over flowing, but Jo one ever emptied if. we didn't get any clean towels either. the restaurant and other areas weren't grossly dirty, but there was junk sitting around everywhere.

d) the worst part of our whole trip happened on our last night. it had been raining the night before and a bit during the day. when we got back to our room, we discovered my MacBook laptop (on a table beside the bed) was covered in water. the ceiling was leaking water right over my laptop. we wiped it off and thankfully it still worked - but there is a water stain on it now. we informed the staff, but the owner wasn't around. when he did swing by later in the night, he joked that it's all the Vietnamese fault since they can't build a decent roof and said, 'at least it still works!' he didn't apologize or offer anything to make up for it (free dinner or ride to the airport etc).

e) we were leaving the next morning early, so we were promised that someone would make us breakfast and call a cab. a staff member came down right before we had to leave... needless to say we didnt get breakfast that morning. the cab ride ended up being insanely expensive... it's too bad sleepy gecko could not have arranged a driver with a set price.

by the end of our four night stay, we were so happy to leave!! it's a shame because I think the place has a lot of potential!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Danang
“Getting Even Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have always loved going by the Sleepy Gecko for a beer and chat with the owner. Sitting up on the balcony overlooking Hoi An and the river is a perfect place to chill out. I wanted to write another review because they have expanded on the bar and restaurant to add a few comfortable guest rooms and even some dormitory rooms for the budget travelers. This is something that I know backpackers love and is a little bit lacking in Hoi An and throughout Vietnam.
Also, they have just finished a small swimming pool next to the main bar with some more cheap rooms there. I think that they have really hit the mark when it comes to making a unique and very cool place to chill out, have a beer, have a meal, have a dip and some great guys to chat with! See you again soon!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing Place, Great Atmosphere and Great Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Sleepy Gecko and ate here often. Ian, our host was a highlight of my trip to Vietnam. He was hilarious, warm, knowledgeable and helpful. Great place, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else. Close to everything, quiet, peaceful and the best views in all of Hoi An.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Comfort and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Amazing time here i visited a few times during my stay in hoi an,
some spent relaxing and others spent drinking and having fun. this was the perfect location for both! cant wait to come back!

Visited September 2012