“Not a great choice for diving” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Coral Diving is the only 5 Star IDC Padi Dive Center in beautiful Hoi An. We offer all Padi courses and fun dives for all! Snorkelling tours and beach camping can be booked on our web site. Blue Coral Diving is the newest dive center in vietnam and provides first class service to there customers. " Have fun and Be safe with Blue Coral Diving".Come and join the fun.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a great choice for diving”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I've had a few dives in the past and generally I have being impressed with the level of serviced received with diving all over the world.
While in Hoi An I decided to dive again and found a totally different experience. The boat was far too overcrowded and people could not sit down, my equipment was faulty, my BCD was very slow to inflate and sometimes would not deflate - this made the dive difficult and when I mentioned it to the dive master he just sort of shrugged, I was expecting a barbecue lunch and this was not (not a major issue accept it was only fish which I don't really eat but if the rest of the day had been pleasant it would have probably been overlooked), finally the most worst thing was that the dive master and owner of the company was just plain rude and arrogant and only seemed to see the people on board as cash cows. Diving is expensive but i've always had a good day before and the atmosphere on the boat and among the (most senior) staff made that day uncomfortable and what should have been a nice day feels like a waste of money.

Visited June 2012

Manchester
3 attraction reviews
“Injured during Open Water Training. Ripped off paying certification fees.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

As a bit of background; myself and my girlfriend started scuba diving 8 months ago in the UK. We sat all of our exams and pool theory classes in the UK and opted to refer our training to this dive school to finish the open water dives for the open water diver certification.
We arrived on the 7th of August 2012 to start our dives and paid 250 US dollars each for 4 training dives and certification fees. On the 7th we did our first two dives - whilst the boat was overcrowded the training was Ok.
On the 8th of August we went back to do the second dive. The boat was even more overcrowded - so much so that we didn't get a seat and had to sit on the floor at times.
For our fourth dive I was instructed by the dive master to perform a technique which was dangerous for me due to pre-existing injuries. I dislocated my shoulder as a result (Luckily it was on the surface). I managed to relocate my shoulder myself which was quite fortunate but was still quite a grizzly experience for myself and several of the fellow divers.
The crew was quite unsympathetic, especially after I managed to relocate my injured shoulder. I was left to recover on my own with none of the crew assisting - the entire diving trip going on as if nothing happened. The dive master responsible continued with training other divers.

As a whole it appeared that once I had hurt myself the crew were very uninterested. Whilst being in significant pain (A dislocated shoulder is usually treated with morphine in hospital) I was only offered paracetamol from some other guests. As part of the trip we went to Cham Island for lunch, having to transfer to a smaller boat to get to the land, in the choppy seas this was a difficult operation (especially with one functioning arm). Only other guests (including a very nice couple from Australia helped me) negotiate getting on and off the boats.
On the way back to the harbour the crew were even more unsympathetic, for the vast majority of the 1 1/2 hour journey I didn't even have a seat on the boat (due to overcrowding) even though I was injured and in considerable pain.

After the end of the trip the manager of the diving school demanded all the course fees off me despite the fact that I had not completed the course. Not only was I meant to pay for the four training dives (as I expected and should rightfully pay for) but he demanded that I paid the certification fees for the Open water diver course even though I did not complete it nor would I even receive the certification.

The attitude of the owner appeared openly nice when everything was going fine but it quickly degenerated into a hostile and bullying figure once the situation deteriorated by demanding money that he was not rightfully owed.

As a result I have had to pay another $120 dollars to finish my training - $70 dollars to repeat the fourth open water dive and $50 dollars for the certification which Blue Coral Diving scammed me out of by taking certification fees for a certification that was not issued.

In summation:
The dive school cheated me out of $50 of certification fees.
I was injured following instructions that the dive master issued me with.
The manager of the dive school bullied us out of money they were not legitimately owed.
I now have to pay another more professional and respectable dive school to finish achieving my Open Water Diver qualification. Blue Coral Diving do not want to know now they have taken my money.

Visited August 2012
Blue Coral H, Owner at Blue Coral Diving, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thanks for the reviews Tim B and Natasha T of Manchester.
Both were a misleading but you are entitled to review as you see fit.
Firstly Nat, having never dived other than our boat during your open water course, with Tim, or in a pool in Nottingham in the UK! Your comments were a bit confusing.
Tim, we at Blue Coral helped you, as we are all EFR trained, when you injured your shoulder. My staff carried you up the ladder and assited you out of you equipment. You girlfriend, Natasha T of Manchester stayed in the water and stated that you would be fine as this has happened a lot before. If you had disclosed this perexsisting condition you would of not been on the course.
I was your instructor, not dive master, during the course and at no time did you say you had issues with your shoulder. The entry method used on dive 4 was a forward roll and you were given the option not to do it. As your girlfriend and Andy, the 3rd student had already done it you followed.
The boat was very busy that day but a seat was found but you insisted on laying down. Your girlfriend was given the choice to end the dive and help you but she declined. We completed the final dive of the course and assets your injury. Given the option to return to harbour by speedboat you decided to say on the boat.
As for your certification scam as you call it. You were signed off as a Scuba Diver at your request. This will allow you to dive to 12m. We also provided you will referal papers to upgrade in the future. We could have just filled in the paperwork and not certified you, for you to complete at a later date with a refund but you declined.
As you were provided with you certificateion, free logbook and Blue Coral Tee shirt there was no refund to be had.
The 1000's of customers we have had this season have found us to be professional and generally good fun to be with.
We are sorry that you feel that you were 'bullied' but this was just not the case.
We at Blue Coral are very proud of the work we have done over the last 3 years to gain a good reputation and return customers who are happy.
Rudness, bulling and arrogance are tolerated on our boat.
Next time you review please but honest.
Thanks for your patients readers.
Blue Coral Team.
Melbourne, Australia
“Faultless.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We did a ''snorkel boat'' trip out of Nha Trang and it wasn't a patch on this lot.

We walked into the office in the town centre to book a snorkelling outing, and instantly formed the impression of a fun but professional outfit. He looked surprised when we asked if fins were included. We had to pay EXTRA for them further south and were not impressed. No such cheap-assery here.

The managing partner dives with the customers is a ironically one of the dryest northern Englishmen you'll ever meet and he clearly does the hiring, because his staff (Euros and locals) were top-notch too.

Good boat, excellent quality gear even for us snorkellers, and the lunch stop added ''sensational'' to our thinking that this was ''excellent'' value at $35 each for the day trip.

The coral-munching marine life was pretty good at 2m-4m ... we saw plenty of all the pretty coloured fish you want to encounter..... . on the second stop there were a substantial number of jellyfish just below the surface and that did put a quite a few off staying in the water for long, though not us! Clearly, no one can be blamed for that. A random factory just like underwater vision on any given day.

One of the very best things we did in Vietnam. We will go straight back to these guys for the full PADI course.

We are very well travelled and as objective as hell. And we recognise a good operation. This is one.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
30 attraction reviews
“Professional Operation and good fun too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This a well run dive centre. The equipment looked like almost all new - very good wetsuits and BCD's /regulators. Good pre-dive safety briefings and well guided small group dives of 50+minutes with Steve, and I'm sure all the other DM's as well. Always plenty help getting you geared up pre dive, and out of the water - with the added bonus of staff doing all the hard work for you. My 2 teenage daughters completed their AOW certs in 3 days with the exellent Julie. They were high as kites at the end. A good boat and a pleasant 45min sail to and from the islands. I only give it "very good" as the actual dive sites are good, but not as good as Malaysia/Thailand. I was impressed with the variety of healthy coral and there is the usual variety of tropical fish and some macro stuff, but not the same schools and larger selection you will see in other places, and vis can be iffy. But the water is clean and there was no trash, unlike most Malaysian islands which are teeming with fish but could do with a good reef/sea bed clean up of human junk. So from pick up at your hotel to drop off at end end of the day, a good day out. And the added bonus of being in beautiful Hoi An.

Paris, France
20 attraction reviews
“The best !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We booked a diving and snorkling lessons with Blue Coral Diving.
It was simply incredible. The instructors were very professionnal managed by Steve and very friendly We had Julie (a French woman) as instructor and i can say that the diving was perfect with her. My daughter (9 years old) enjoyed her first diving lessons at Cham Island. Wonderful place for diving.
The tour included pickup and drop off at your hotel, 45 minutes by boat to Cham Island, more than 1 hour of diving, lunch at a restaurant on an island and return to Hoi An.
You won't be disappointed with Blue Coral Diving ! Memorable day. Thanks to Steve and his staff !!

Visited July 2012