“Great location, Fabulous staff, Beautiful Building” 4 of 5 stars

Long Life Riverside Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Nguyen Phuc Chu Street, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #50 of 85 Hotels in Hoi An
Karlsruhe
“Great location, Fabulous staff, Beautiful Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were a bit hesitant when we arrived at the Long Life Riverside because we had read some recent negative reviews, but that was completely unecessary. We loved this hotel so much that we wound up staying here for 8 days! The pool is beautiful, every room has a computer, we were greeted with a fruit platter and everyday we had two large complimentary bottles of water. The towels were folded in origami shapes and decorated with flowers. The only negative point with our otherwise beautiful room was that the jacuzzi didn't work and some of the towels were stained.

The wonderful staff tops it all off. The receptionists Luan and Thuy and the restaurant staff Duna and Luan did everything possible to make our stay perfect. They even delivered a birthday cake for my son's birthday and brought him a present! Thank you again for a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed in this hotel early this year. The hotel was centrally located across the "river" (it's very narrow) over the small walking bridges from the main town.

Overall the staff were nice, however, our experience was ruined by the girl with the heavy bangs who works the front desk. From the onset, she was incredibly rude. When we arrived, she hardly greeted us. We were asked for passports and then told our rooms were not ready; that was the whole conversation. We returned hours later and were shown a dark, damp room with mildew on the walls. The construction going on next door only made it worse adding loud grinding noises and filling the room with chemical odors. The bathroom was the only saving grace. It was modern and clean but had no door and a combination shower/toilet area. The room only had one bed and I had requested two. We realized the hotel was terrible but at the very least, I thought we could get a room with two beds.

When I went back to the front desk, the girl told me I had requested only one bed and showed me a notebook with Vietnamese writing. I was commonly mistaken for being Vietnamese but I let her know I didn't understand. I had handed over my confirmation with the room details and asked if she could review it. She, however, conveniently "lost" it in the 5 minutes between our check-in and us walking over to our room. Thanks to the free wi-fi, I showed her the confirmation on my phone, to which she replied there were no available rooms in the hotel. Annoyed, I left and complained to my friend. My friend went back and got the girl to say she'd switch our rooms the next day. That never happened (though we didn't care to ask again).

We were able to enjoy Hoi An, endure the shortcomings of our room, and avoid this girl for a day. On our second to last day, I asked her to arrange for a car to drive us to Hue the next day and she said okay. The next morning, we went to check out and there was no car. Another girl who was working the desk said no request was made. Then our favorite employee came by and said we didn't request a car either! They called for a car and we began the checkout process. When we were given our bill, I asked if we could charge it and our girl told me the machine was broken. We had no Vietnamese dong left and asked if I could see the machine and maybe fix it. She showed it to me and it was clearly working!! Then she said she could charge it but would add a 10% fee! We had had enough of this girl and just paid in dollars and left.

Other than the terrible room and rude frontdesk woman, the rest of the hotel seemed fine and other staff were perfectly nice. The breakfast buffet was good with made to order omelettes. But clearly, I would never stay here again, nor recommend it.

Room Tip: Run if they show you a room in the back on the first floor!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
longlifehotels, Manager at Long Life Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Our valued Guest ,
We are so sorry !!!
Warm regards
Managing Director
Mrs Thanh xuan
iP:0944916696
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We booked this hotel after reading that it was a "top pick" in the new Lonely Planet and only when we arrived (using the computer in the room) did we read some of the reviews below.

I only had one gripe with this place and that was that when we went to bed on the first night the sheets had not been changed. In fact they were filthy. On going to reception we were told (by a very young, polite but timid receptionist) that housekeeping had gone home and so were given the key to another room, where we stripped the sheets (which though old with holes and stains, were at least clean) and transfered them to our bed. We then told reception that we wanted completely new sheets the next day which they duly did. To me, this incident epitomised this hotel. Location was great, pool was lovely and clean, breakfast was fine and the staff were all pleasant enough, but it seemed to be running itself, hence corners were being cut and laziness was setting in. We were given a tray of fruit on our bed when we arrived ( a nice touch) but the tray wasn't removed from our room for days.

We had a really lovely, relaxing stay at this hotel (despite the auspicious start) but I wouldn't be confident of it's future unless the management takes note and acts on some of the comments written on here.

Room Tip: Check your sheets have been changed as soon as you arrive!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The location of this hotel was excellent as it was very close to the old town. The night we arrived our a/c stopped working but luckily we were moved to another room. The family rooms are a decent size and do look lovely but we did notice signs of wear and tear on closer inspection. The shower in room 203 looked like it was almost ready to come off the roof! The hot tub looks great but the jets are very noisy and smell like rotten eggs once turned on! On the final day of our stay the kettle and fridge stopped working too! I think this would have been a gorgeous hotel in its day but it is now definitely showing its age. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was sufficient too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We wanted to stay as close to the old town as possible without actually being in the middle of it and the Long Life Riverside was perfect for this. We were able to stroll along the riverside in the evening checking out the market and having a few happy hour drinks without bing in the main bustle of the old town. The room and bathroom were very clean and spacious and the breakfast was plentiful. The free bikes are a great addition and enabled us to ride down to the beach at our leisure. The pool was small but welcome after a long hot day. However the pool side is in need of some updating as there was loose decking which was curling up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

The room/suite was the nicest I have stayed in all trip . The location is top class just 200 metres from the bridge to the old town. Our room was well located over looking the pool which was ideal for a cool down . The most outstanding aspect of the hotel was the staff , they were really helpful throughout our stay. They were happy to print off our flight boarding passes and organised an early morning taxi at a reasonable rate . (cheaper than quotes we had gotten in town). We departed at 3.30 am and the really nice receptionist had a take away breakfast packed for us . Although it was a little more expensive than other destinations the standard of service certainly stood out .

• Stayed July 2012
Geelong, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel on our first trip to Hoi An in 2010 and chose to stay again as it was quite enjoyable. However this time it was noted that they had suffered some damage in the recent floods and had really cut corners and costs when refurbishing. Their reliance on one particular young woman to 'hold the fort' under all conditions was obvious and she did a fantastic job. Other staff and management were a little offhand when they were dealing with customers. Over all it was a bit disappointing and we couldn't recommend to others as a worthwhile hotel to stay in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Long Life Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!