“One of the best stays in Vietnam... highly recommended in Hoi An” 5 of 5 stars

Nhi Trung Hotel
700 Hai Ba Trung St, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #74 of 110 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Gilford, New Hampshire
“One of the best stays in Vietnam... highly recommended in Hoi An”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic location.... right in walking distance to downtown. Our room ended up being bigger than expected and the shower was FANTASTIC - best of any hotel stay (and you'll want it cause it's hot here). AC was fantastic and weaactually got too cold at one point! Great hotel though and a good value.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Staff were very helpful and friendly when we checked in. Room was spotlessly clean with linen and towels changed daily. Free water and kettle in the room plus a fridge which is handy.
Good selection for breakfast.
Location is perfect less than 5 min walk to old quarter.
Only negative is the hotel closes after 10.30/11 there is a porter who sleeps in the lobby to let you in which is kind of a slight inconvenience but we have experienced this in most hotels in Vietnam so it's not unusual so don't let it put you off!

• Stayed June 2013
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed at Nhi Trung hotel in May of 2013 as we were in Hoi An for 4 nights. The accommodations were clean, beds comfortable and the staff were incredibly nice giving advice on where to get good food! They helped us book train tickets and also set up a shuttle to pick us up and drop us off. This place was so good we decided to stay another night and If time permitted would have stayed more!! There is a bike rental and laundry facility right across the street and everything is a short walk ie; tailors, food, bars. Would definitely stay here if I make it back to Hoi An!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel for 4 nights in Hoi An. This is an honest review. I am picky, but not that picky so here's the truth! Started off on the wrong foot when we emailed the manager before our arrival for a pick up at Da Nang airport. The pick up taxi never showed up and we had to pay for another taxi for $25 instead of the $15 we were quoted. We forgot about the taxi fiasco when were very welcomed by the friendly manger Thanh who let us check in early at 8 am! He let us get comfortable in our room and settle in and when we were ready, he told us to come down where he could tell us about his town. He is very nice and welcoming. Our room appeared to be nice.

He gave us a little map and pointed out two places on the map. A place to eat called Bobo's and a tailor shop T&C where his sister works.

1. Bobo's is terrible. Their wonton soup was barely edible and it's one of their "specialties". Blech, I'd rather eat dirt than eat there again. If you wander into the old quarter, there is much better food there for half the price! "Hi Restaurant". Sooo good and cheap!!!

2. The tailor T&C were the only tailors we walked by who heckled us to come in. After reading other reviews we have come to the conclusion that the manager must call his sister ahead of time to tell them we are coming by and to keep an eye out for us. After going in and asking the price, we found her prices to be about twice the prices at other tailors which had much more fabric selection and were way less pushy. We ended up and Bao Khanh Silk on the Main Street right across from A Dong Silk.

Back to the hotel, we stayed in 3 different rooms here after complaining about the first two. The first one they put us (room 202) in was big and had a balcony facing the Main Street. Nice at first glance, but after we left the hotel for 3 hours with our a/c running, it wasn't even cold in our room when we came back! There were ants in the room, probably because the windows aren't sealed or the balcony door! It goes straight outside for all the bugs to come in! So, we asked for a new room. Little tiny ants everywhere!

They put us in a smaller room right across the hall so still facing the street. It had the same problem, I would say the a/c was a tad better but not that much better. The cracks were still there and the sun comes into the room all day and if you want the room to be decent to sleep in, you have to shut the bathroom door to keep the heat from coming in. Not good. We stayed in that room for two nights. There were ants and spiders in this room.

The last room, 205 was much better. A million times better for the A/c! It actually worked and got chilly! Still there were ants, but I couldn't care about them as much now that we had amazing A/c!

Breakfast is included, but the eggs are microwaved... So I just ate the bread they had. I would pay less and not take the breakfast...

Also, they block Facebook on the wifi, so it forces you onto their computers in the lobby to get on them. That gives the staff more opportunity to find out your plans and try to sell you more tours. The manager was very curious to our plans, but we told him we already had things booked. They are much cheaper from other places!

• Stayed May 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed Nhi trung Hotel for 2 times and the future I will stay here again again and again. Every time I got the good service and very friendly staff. This time I had something wrong for my flight the manager help me to contact the airway office in Vietnamese language and everything is well done. Breakfast was great, the orange juice was fresh and the location super perfect it's the center of the old town. The shintourist near by!!! Opposite the motobike for rent as the owner very kindly the gave me for 4 dollars/day and 2 dollars/half day.

Miss them all. ^_^ P.S.I stayed on Jan 24-26, 2013.

P.s (again)the 2nd time, I got the room 204 close to the stair but not noisy.

Room Tip: 1st time, in the picture I got the room 302 it's very big room (1 double bed, 1 single bed) with...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

THERE WE'RE NO COCKROACHES HERE! But if they are the kinds of things to upset you, best to leave South East Asia out of the equation all together. Upon my arrival at Nhi Trung, we were greeted by a friendly female who promptly showed us to our biggest room yet in Vietnam! We had two very large beds, a proper shower, a balcony and we felt right at home. The reception staff promptly showed us a map of the area and the best things to do locally. She was so helpful. The breakfast was fantastic, a choice of eggs and a drink. Even pancakes were on offer! Thanh, the manager made sure we were having a good stay each time we saw him and even helped is buy the local delicacy, Vietnamese baguette for the 'local' price after finding out we were being ripped off by the street ladies. Thanh runs a tight ship and will always be on hand to help if you need it. Also a special mention to the night guard who was very polite when I stumbled in from a good night out at 4am. Overall, this is one of the best properties I've stayed in through Vietnam. Other reviews mention staff are pushy, but this is just mistaken politeness. If you are firm and sure of yourself then you're fine. I wouldn't hesitate staying here again, Infact I can't wait too! Would highly recommend! Nhi Trung is your only choice in Hoi An. The location is incredible, the staff are are wonderful and the rooms are perfect! Thankyou Thanh!

Room Tip: Try get a balcony room facing the street! Noise outside dies down at 10pm. I can sleep through anyth...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have taken a few days to calm down before writing this review because I wanted to be objective. However my view is still the same; not only were the rooms unclean, very damp and musty, the staff were also the rudest we have ever come across. We had originally booked to stay for 3 nights however left after just one very dramatic night of cockroach chasing. The first room we were put in was downstairs behind reception, this was incredibly damp with mould visible on the walls. We were told there was one double left upstairs which we took however we were later to find out it was overlooking reception and the staircase so was incredibly noisy! In this room I was personally woken up at 2am to a hissing cockroach on my hand at which point in the dark I panicked brushed it off, turned on the light and woke my girlfriend Jess up! (Not a nice wake up call!) We then saw the large cockroach run down the side of the bedside table and underneath the bed. Calling reception we told them about the pest problem but unfortunately when the security guard (a nice chap who didn't speak any English) came upstairs the cockroach was well hidden. Gesturing what we had seen he searched briefly but was unable to find it so he left us to it. This happened twice more before we used our own torch, dismantled every aspect of the room and found the cockroach hiding in a crack in the underside of the bed. The security guard then came and sprayed the bed with some cockroach killer which we had upturned on its side. Whilst spraying another ran out from the same place. (See picture). After a sleepless night we went down in the morning to complain to reception however after 10 minutes of explaining we were offered a "very generous deduction" of $2. This was insulting. She also infuriated me by suggesting that I may be lying before I showed her a picture (which I have posted on here) and told her to check with her security guard. We are well travelled and we know for $20 a night there are certain standards you can expect and this met none of them. After the insulting offer we said we would leave and went to pack our things. The whole time at reception the manager/owner was sat on the sofa playing his phone ignoring our complaint although just feet away, even laughing to himself at points. As we began walking up the stairs the receptionist and manager laughed about our comments which only showed them up further. How unprofessional. I have never come across such poor management and hospitality in the industry. When we came to pay the receptionist deducted a further $2 to our bill but at this point the damage had already been done, we just wanted to leave. The receptionist said "we have a problem with cockroaches (coco) but we are not able to stop them or control them because they fly"). A shocking excuse at best. The presence of cockroaches we could have overlooked had we been assured it had been dealt with but the way in which the staff and owner/manager dealt with our complaint was disgraceful and the worst I have ever come across and my girlfriend too (who works in the service industry!) Another point worth nothing is that when we moved around our room in search of the cockroach we found just how dirty the room was. Surface clean but clumps of dust and hair and even finger nails in the bedside drawer!!! We wondered 50m down the road to Thanh Binh 2 which for $20 we got a superior room with much more space. AVOID NHI TRUNG LIKE THE PLAGUE!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Nhi Trung Hotel? Share your experiences!