“The best value in Vietnam....wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Green Field Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   432 Cua Dai Street, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #89 of 113 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“The best value in Vietnam....wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

During my stay in Vietnam, the Green Field Hotel was by far the best value hotel. I could not find another hotel in Vietnam within their price range that had comparable quality and service. In fact, I stayed in more expensive hotels that were simply not on par with the Green Field Hotel. I traveled with a large group of family (including elderly parents), and each one of my family members definitely love this place. The hotel was ideally located in Hoian's city center. The rooms were aesthetically pleasing, clean, and well-equipped. The breakfast buffet was excellent, especially the coffee, the French bread and eggs, and the wide range of tropical fruits. But best of all was the hotel's staff, they exhibited an exceptional level of customer service and professionalism to each guest, foreign or native (as opposed to other hotels that may just want to cater to foreign or non-Vietnamese travelers). The Green Field Hotel is a well-rounded facility. I highly recommend the hotel for a variety of travelers - English or Vietnamese speaking; young or old; couples or singles.

Thank you to the hotel staff and management for such a wonderful stay. Best of luck and keep up the great work.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Our stay here was so much fun. The location is very good and there is a lot to do within walking distance. The customer service was over the top - they go out of their way to take care of you. The rooms are lovely. Not huge, but nice. The pressure could be a little better. The breakfast, which was included,was very nice as well. Thankyou for our lovely experience

Hoofddorp
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

I was staying in this hotel for only one night. I had a room for 20 dollars and it was a good room and clean. But I wanted to change for a dorm room and I couldn't believe my eyes; the walls were black from the mold! When I walked in, I could feel the bad air in my lungs.

But I have 2 stories about this hotel that you definately should know:

1. Two friends of mine called and asked if they could have a dorm room for a few nights. They told them that they don't make reservations for dorms. The girls got there and had to give their passports, then the staff showed the rooms. They saw the mold and decided not to stay. The staff said they had to pay half of the price for the days they wanted to stay. The girls told them that they couldn't make a reservations so they didn't want to pay the money. The staff then asked the money back for the pick up service (2 dollars in total for seriously 500 meters...). The staff didn't want to give the passports back, unless they paid the 2 dollars.

2. My story. I booked some tickets at there Travel Desk. The lady was very kind and so I asked her some advice for my trip trough Vietnam. She told me she could look up some things and helped me to make reservations for me because the English of some people are not so good. I was very happy, but in the end she was lying to me. She made up the prices herself. She realy pretended she was helpful and she understood that backpackers don't want to spend too much extra money on tickets! But I found out that I payd over 100 dollars extra for some tickets!! After I payed, I was calculating and I also found out that the price wasn't right: they also make their own rates, so that made me pay 10 dollars extra aswell. They also rate more for the rooms, but they don't mention that to the guests and they have a little sign in the back of the reception just in case a guest finds out that the prices are not right.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Do not stay! Bad experience and would never go back. Location is kinda on the shady end of the city, customer service was horrible and needs work, staff was pushy, annoying and condescending. Rooms were average, not worth the price as it kinda old, bathroom is awful. They want to keep your passport for some shady reason, which we didn't buy and refuse to accept. Not worth the cost of the room. We left the hotel the next morning for something way above par. This hotel was rated 3 stars..that's being generous in opinion.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I paid 22 USD a night and felt it was worth it. Place is clean and has decent amenities. It's nothing to write home about but on the nicer end in the backpacking circuit. My biggest qualm is that it's a little far out of the city center, about a 10 minute walk. I ended up renting a bike which was a great way to get into town. I also thought my reservation came with breakfast, but when I got there they said it didn't. No matter, plenty of delicious restaurants in Hoi An!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

I know.... I should not be expecting a $35 hotel to be super duper dope, but in Vietnam, you can get a lot for $35.
my boyfriend found this place in the Lonely Planet book, and made reservations right away, but after doing some research, we learned that we could of gotten a better place for the same cost... oh well....
However, the room was cozy and clean-ish, (but one really can't expect much cleanliness from vietnam) some of the staff were friendly and location was pretty far off the main river/marketplace, considering how small Hoi An is.
since this place was featured on Lonely Planet as a hotel/hostel, there were a lot of backpackers and just backpacks laying around everywhere on the lobby, which made me feel that they just stopped caring once they got their name on the Lonely Planet book...
the breakfast buffet was consisted of 5 servers fanning away flies from the food...
If there was nothing else available, I would stay for 1 night, but I know I can find a better (newer) place if I had more time to research.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Only paying $23USD/ night is all that its shaped up to be! Such a shame because Hoi An is a beautiful city.
Ok for location, easy 10 minute walk into the old town.
The hotel was clean, surprisingly I didnt see any cockroaches, it just had an odd feeling about it all round.
The room we were in was spacious and had a view of a rice paddy field with its own balcony, but not the sort you could sit on and have a drink and watch the sunset.
The bathroom was ok, if you can handle stepping up about .5m into the shower.
The biggest issue we had with the room was that the doors were lockable but not secure. There was gaps between the door and its frame, quick easy access for any intruder.
The hallways were a bit noisy, we are stayed here during off peak season, so not as noisy as I can imagine it to be.
We didnt use the swimming pool, but it did look clean and there was others swimming.
The hotel staff reccommend a local tailor in the street, that apparently "wont rip you off". For sure, i didnt feel ripped off by this shop, but when I found out that the shop is owned by the same person as the Hotel I cant say I was too surprised!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Green Field Hotel? Share your experiences!