“Not good value” 2 of 5 stars

696 Hai Ba Trung Street | Quang Nam, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #53 of 85 Hotels in Hoi An
“Not good value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

This hotel is inexpensive for the area, but I didn't find I got good value out of his place. The service was not so friendly and they seemed intent on selling us their breakfast or trips. The bathroom emitted an odor, which didn't make sense to me since I was on the top floor ( shouldn't sewage flow downward?), and at night, when I turned on the light, even with the window closed, my room filled with fleas. I paid $15 USD, but did not feel it was good value.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Our bus left us at this hotel and it was 5$/ night and there was a pool so we stayed there.
First there were many criquets and others even at second floor.
There was so many noise, we barely slept the first night, there was tourists screeming in the hallway and in there room and the guardian said nothing.
There was no help at all for informations, we had to ask and wait and we never got a smile from any of them.
The internet closes at 22h but we had an emergency as someone had copy our VisaCard but they didn't allow us to check for 5 minutes because it was 22h05!
We were not satisfy with their service but yes it was cheap so juste decide what is your priority!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I don't often review hotels for Trip Advisor(tend to just read them) but after reading some of the negative reviews on this place I thought I should wirte.

Our experience here was good

Room was large, clean, well located and good value for money for Hoi An,

Washing came back clean

No ants/excessive noise/rip offs

Staff weren't super chipper ALL the time but hey, neither am I!

All the best

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bar Harbor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Our experience here was totally fine. The cons: the staff weren't exceptional, the computers were often on the fritz and for $20, the room was so-so. But we had a hard time finding anything cheaper in Hoi An, and it was a fine place to sleep, so we weren't unhappy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010 via mobile

this was not my first choice hotel but i ended up here when my first hotel lost my reservation. i should have left after the first night when I woke up covered in ants; not just a couple roving workers, but dozens of the forming a trail across the bed. Unfortunately I got a different room instead.

The price of the rooms was quite high, a basic no-A/C room that smelled like cigarettes for $15. Several times during my stay I saw other guests complaining at the desk about being overcharged versus other guests, some were charged as little as $8@night.

From the hotel I took a tour to My Son, the ancient temple ruins. The advertised price was $7 but when I bought the ticket, they said it was $9. Then, on the tour, I had to pay another 60,000VND for some sort of entry fee, but there was nothing to prevent anyone from just walking in to the ruins for free; I never saw any ticket or money exchange between the tour operator and the site operators. I did not want to make a fuss because Americans are always making a fuss. Two Australian gentlemen refused to pay the 60,000VND without consequence.

I am not a very experienced traveller, so I am not sure, but $50 seems like a bit much for a bus from Hoi An to Ninh Binh, which is what the hotel charged me.

The hotel advertises Wi-Fi, but the only wireless internet access was from the hotel next door. If it was not for their wireless, I wouldn't have even known that there was a hotel next door, because hoa binh's sign was perfectly placed to totally block the view of the next hotel.

Don't be deceived by the open-looking lobby in the hotel's facade; these people will rip you off at every opportunity.

• Stayed February 2010
Kotka, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Me and my partner are quite experienced and regular travellers in south-east Asia and this was the first time we were really cheated with train tickets. We were charged almost double the money for two train tickets from Hoi An to Mui Ne which adds up to almost 50 US, which is a lot of money even for us let alone for locals!

Of course we should have double checked the price in advance but there seemed no need for that since the hotel was neat and personel seamed friendly and honest. Afterwards we overheard some other travellers complaining about having been overcharged with tickets in this hotel as well, WATCH OUT!

The room was also very noisy and despite of the lovely scent in the room when we first arrived, the bathroom really began to stank after first shower.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Been travelling around Vietnam and have stayed in many hotels, but this is the worst....and how true, friendly until you get in, then forget any service. The room smelled, on the 4th floor, and ceiling leaked....water all over the bathroom floor, so the bugs - ants had to swim. Also no soap, Toilet paper etc..had to ask??? for basics The towels smelled and old rag for floor mat. When we asked for another room due to the leaks, were told nothing available, made a fuss and got another room, but noisy....from pub across the street.....and doors banging all night long. Find another hotel...as this is not worth it...also breakfast is not included...and food is terrible....think I saw something run across the floors????

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hoa Binh Hotel? Share your experiences!