“Good food and really cheap Fresh beer” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
corringham
“Good food and really cheap Fresh beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have visited Cafe 43 three times in the four days since we have been in Hoi An.
I would say the food was OK but pretty average. This place was recommended to me, and all over the tables they have good reviews from really happy customers saying this is some of the best food in South East Asia. I would say I agreed with that though.
We have tried Stuffed Squid, Spring rolls, Won ton soup, the local noodles and some breakfast stuff including Mango pancakes which were good.
The prices are good at around 12-15,000 Vnd per shake and 3,000 Vnd for a glass of Fresh beer which is really cheap.
So the place is great value and the food is pretty good!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
“Great all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Absolutely great spot. When I first got there I read of people saying that they only ate there during their stay and after going to a different place the day after I knew what they mean. Trust me if you are in Hoi An you will not find a better joint. Great food. Nice squid. Great pancakes. Best ones I've had in all of SEA. Make sure you have some. Prices are very cheap and the beer is fresh. Who can say no to a few 20cents glass?

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cheap and cheerful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for cheap Vietnamese eats and drinks, Cafe 43 is the place for you. The food was good for the price, though not as good as some of the other places I've eaten in Hoi An. It was very carrot-heavy though, so don't come here if you don't like carrot! The white rose dumplings were ok, but the dipping sauce was excellent! I don't like beer, but my husband was happy with the 3000 dong mugs of local beer. Service was fast.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Tenerife, Spain
“Bia hoi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We walked down the bia hoi street in search of a bia hoi! Lots of cafes offer 3000 dong beers on this strip but we chose 43 purely because it had people in. We wanted a few beers before food as we were not overly hungry when we walked in but the staff gave the impression they thought we were just gonna drink beer all afternoon and they weren't impressed. After 4 glasses we ordered and the staff seemed a bit warmer towards us after that. We've eaten a lot of pho and not much else over the last few weeks so the food we ordered made a nice change. It was nothing to write home about but we did enjoy it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“NOT Overrated. Very Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Cafe 43 was a highlight of Hoi An and Vietnam in terms of Vietnamese food. The fried wonton, lemongrass chicken, curry chicken, cao lau, white rose were all incredible. My friends and I ate there 3-4 times.

We didn't even know it was in Lonely Planet... It was recommend to us by a friend. We went to a couple other Vietnamese restaurants in Hoi An, but they weren't nearly as good as Cafe 43.

And yes, they have 15-cent beer that is really watered down if that's your kind of thing.

GO THERE!