“Too expensive @ 20$ a night” 3 of 5 stars

An Hoi Hotel
69 Nguyen Phuc Chu Str., Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Ranked #53 of 77 hotels in Hoi An
fuji, japan
“Too expensive @ 20$ a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in the city center. I rented a bike for one dollar and enjoyed the exercise going back and forth to the beach only 5k away. The room is adequate, but the Tv didn't work and there was a cockroach. My room was right next to the front entrance and the noise was pretty loud though I fell asleep fine.

Mostly I was disappointed with the service. The front desk guy kept pushing sales, things to buy, wanting to make a commission on sending people or his friends? I told him nonono and explained several times I don't need or want anything. It was also annoying that the front desk lady said the only way to get to danang airport is by private car 15$. Later a front desk guy claimed to book a city bus ticket for me for 5$ and when I came back in a few hours he said it was "all full" and I can only take a 15$ private car. It sounded bogus so I went to a tour office in town and they booked me a minivan right away no problems for 5$. These kinds of scams are more common than telling the truth so I can't say this hotel is a special bad case. Just if you go here don't believe what they say and get a lot of advice from other places before agreeing to anything.

• Stayed May 2013

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dusseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was running a bit late in booking an accommodation in Hoi An. However I followed the Lonely Planet and found this hotel in there. My previous hotel booked it for me as another one was already full booked. I got a room upstairs on the second floor right at the back with a window. This room looks alright, but it caused some trouble. The air-con wasn’t working, so having a proper sleep was quite difficult unless I cranked up the fan which was there as well but it still was very hot. Was that installed as a substitute for the not working air-con? Anyway, the bathroom was quite small and I could have had the shower right on the toilet. Somehow were the tab differently, the shower tab was ok (cold and warm) but the one on the sink was the opposite way and I almost burned my hands as the water was so unbelievable hot. One morning there was hot water dripping down from the boiler or what it was which I noticed once a drop hit me But this was an on and off kind of thing. I also had some company in my room, those little geckos, some were quite huge and ugly looking and others were quite small. The staff is ok and they doing their best however I got the impression that they are quite stingy. This was the first hotel where I couldn’t print out a piece of paper nor did they refuse to book the next accommodation for me without paying 2.5USD each minute. In addition was it impossible to pay by VISA card, so I had to withdraw cash. Also they made me feel quite uncomfortable because I didn’t go to one particular shop to get clothes made… The breakfast was scanty and quite fatty (I had a pancake). I wonder what’s wrong with the swimming pool, as I never ever saw someone swimming there but the water looks nice and clean, good to have a swim. $20 for such a room was not value for money.
If you stay in Hoi An, go to the beach, it's great. Might better hire a bike as it seems to be more than 4km...

Happy travels :)

Room Tip: I stayed in #306
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Booking a hotel, sight unseen, is a gamble. But staying at Hotel An Hoi paid off. Stayed in the room 310. Larger than my bedroom back home, extremely clean and well turned out. What's more, it right across the old historic town. Just 5 minutes away. Stay there if you want to be near the old town.

Room Tip: Get the room 310. it's at the back with a view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, myself and two girlfriends. Had a large double bed and a single, room very big, large bathroom and our room was on the first floor, doors opened onto balcony over looking the pool. We utilised pool every day, only negative was not enough space really for sitting, 4 deck chairs only but not bother us.
Great location to shops and staff very friendly and helpful re where to visit etc. Bed and pillows very hard, but think that seems to be the norm in everywhere we stayed in Vietnam. Hired a bike for the day easy ride to the beach, got lost on way back but locals very friendly and soon arrived back in shopping area. Night market a rip off so don't panic if you don't go. Found a neat place called Enjoys, same side as hotel, passed the bridge, amazing ice creams, great coffee(we didn't like coffee over there) and had dinner upstairs one night very good.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with balcony and over looking the pool on the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manitou Springs, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good location away from the main downtown with restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast was good. The hotel has a pool which looked good but never used. We were on the 2nd floor at the end of the hall over looking the street kind of. It was quite and the air-con worked good. The Manageress was very helpful with train and bus arrangement's.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs stay on the 2nd floor. A little quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had 2 nights here in a ground floor room to the rear of the hotel. No windows, but a slightly odd terrace area that led out to a small gap between 2 buildings! Quite a spacious room, 2 single beds. Bathroom wasn't too bad but the shower curtain was a bit manky.

Swimming pool was small but was able to have a couple of quiet dips. I only managed 1 breakfast here (I missed the 2nd morning due to one too many happy hour drinks!!) but it took me quite a while to get my order placed. Maybe I chose badly but I got small baguette and a laughing cow cheese spread triangle. Lovely views out over the river though.

Location is its strong point, on the An Hoi peninsula but very close to the main bridge that leads to the old town. Lots of bars and eateries close by and away from most of the traffic and tourists. I hired a motorbike ($5) through the hotel and this went smoohtly. Great drive out to Cua Dai beach, then up to the Marble Mountains and Danang.

What brought this down to a 3/5 rather than a 4 is some of the staff. Too pushy for my liking. The females seemed pretty nice, but the few males there appeared more interested in recommending tailors and other shops. No matter how much I told them I'm not on holiday to go shopping they still tried. Found check out a bit unsatisfactory, the total bill seemingly worked out on the back of a fag packet and not particularly friendly with it. Only took cash which was a bit of a pain.

I really liked the location, and would recommend An Hoi peninsula as a good place to stay when visiting Hoi An. However, this was one of the more expensive hotels I stayed in whilst in Vietnam and it wasn't really reflected in a higher quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here after seeing good reviews on trip advisor. The location is amazing, over looking the river and a 2 minute walk over the beautiful bridge to the town yet still very quiet. The manageress is great, really helpful, funny and personable! The hotel has a pool which is great but only space for 4 people to sit round. The room was alright but nothing for the amount you pay. The AC leaked everywhere, the bathroom was mouldy and in general it wasn't very clean. Especially the bedding. The breakfasts were terrible, good choice but not good quality especially for the amount extra we paid.

All in all I definitely wouldn't stay here again, it was so overpriced and we have since learned that there are cheaper and nicer places to stay in Hoi An. However I would like to thank the manageress again for being so good during our stay.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to An Hoi Hotel? Share your experiences!