“I will stay again! Clean, comnfortable, with friendly hosts...” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hilltop House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Hilltop House Bed & Breakfast
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   43 Depot Hill Road, Amenia, NY 12501   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Amenia B&B and Inns
“I will stay again! Clean, comnfortable, with friendly hosts...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just a one night stay for my wife and I. Wanted to take the bed home with us, it was that comfortable. Sandy and West were friendly and easy to talk to. We were in the area visiting and were somewhat familiar with what was around, but I have no doubt if we were not that good advice on what to see and do would be available.
We had a large bathroom with a nice shower and sink. The house is remarkable with the wide beam ceiling and wood covered walls on the first floor. Huge fireplace, comfortable seating and wide screen in the living room/reception area. Wi-fi worked great. Dining room with nice built-ins and pocket door. Also a big wrap around deck which can also be used for breakfast (a bit cool for that when we were there). Breakfast was great. Pancakes with a hint of lemon, homemade apple syrup, local sourced maple syrup and sausage, coffee, juice, eggs if you want them, fresh fruit (the pineapple and oranges were really good...everything was, for that matter!). Didn't leave hungry! Able to relax for a bit after breakfast before leaving. Not rushed...Loved the candy as well!!
We were made welcome here. The most relaxing stay we have had anywhere in quite some time. The only thing which would have made it better would be staying two nights instead of one. Thanks Sandy and West ! You made our visit so much better.

Room Tip: Some rooms are en suite, some are not. If this is important for you be advised. Do not hesitate to a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Hilltop House is a terrific B+B choice for visitors to the Hudson Valley region. The pretty 1909 shingle style house has been lovingly restored and offers comfortably furnished and impeccably maintained guest rooms. Sandy is a friendly host and accomplished baker who turns out great breakfasts to order. Her rhubarb compote is outstanding. My wife and I spent four enjoyable nights there and will happily return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
cleveland oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Having a son who attends one of the local boarding schools, we have stayed many times at this wonderful B&B run by Sandy and West. Sandy always makes a delicious breakfast and is the perfect hostess, personable and discreet.

The rooms are exceptionally clean and comfortable, and the general atmosphere is homey, tranquil, and inviting. We recommend the Hilltop House without any reservations! We last stayed in June, 2011 and are now booked to stay on May 1, 2012.

Room Tip: The Rose Room has an ensuite bathroom. The George Washington is the largest room, and can accommodat...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New Hope, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My colleague and I had a relaxing stay at this down to earth, friendly bed and breakfast. Sandy made us feel very welcome and at ease. The rooms were nicely furnished and the beds were super comfortable. The bathroom down the hall was private and practically in the room so it was fine, and the bathroom in our other room was especially spacious. Breakfast was great! We highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Sandy & West, the proprietors of Hilltop House, are friendly and approachable, but never imposing. Like another reviewer, I found the pictures and online information truly represents the actual product. My family stayed at Hilltop House in April 2011 to visit a nearby boarding school. Then, in September 2011, I stayed a second time when my daughter enrolled. Sandy programmed her coffee maker the night before for my husband who rises very early. Before our second visit, Sandy accepted a package delivery of items shipped ahead for move-in day. Then, when I had difficulty assembling an item for my daughter's room, West was kind enough to help me. Our rooms were clean. The linens are luxurious. And, the beds are very comfortable. Several rooms have a private bath in the room. Even if staying in a room without a private bath, it may not be shared with other guests unless the inn is completely full. Robes are provided to make the few short steps from your room to the common bath. Bath rooms are new or completely remolded and have great lighting. Sandy cooks a wonderful breakfast meal from natural ingredients and local produce. If you prefer tea over coffee, she has an extensive assortment to choose from. The huge wrap around porch is inviting just about any time of day. A portion is screened which allows you to enjoy breakfast or sit in the evening without being annoyed by insects. I hope to get the opportunity on a future visit to borrow one of the bikes they have available. The bike trail is located just at the bottom of the hill. I definately recommend staying at the Hilltop House.

Room Tip: The Sunshine Suite and Firefly bedroom are connecting rooms. The Washington bedroom has a more spac...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I arrived at Hilltop House on the hottest Friday afternoon in living memory and after unpacking made a beeline for the beautiful, very comfortably furnished wraparound porch. There was a breeze! And plenty to look at: the beautiful flowerbeds and old trees on the property and, across the road, views of the countryside -- although you're right in the village, you can see a cornfiled just a block away.

My room with en suite bathroom was another dream of comfort (and air-conditioned, course). I slept like a rock on the excellent mattress. Innkeeper Sandy believes in comfort and pays a lot of attention to detail. This was particularly evident when she served breakfast: I never eat breakfast and had three helpings of everyting. Beautiful, in-season fruit, homemade bread, eggs straight from the farm. (And as beautiful in their shells as they are on your plate -- ask Sandy to show you.)

Sandy and her husband, West, made us feel welcome from the minute we arrived. I hope everybody who needs a relaxing weekend in the Hudson Valley will book a room at Hilltop.

"Excellent" doesn't really do justice to my experience at Hilltop. It's an exceptionally welcoming and pleasant place.

Room Tip: I loved my room -- I think it's called The Sunshine Room. Beautifully (and not too fussily) deco...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Takoma Park, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My girlfriend and I were traveling up to New England and spent one night on our way at Hilltop House. I had pre-booked with them after looking at several B&Bs in the area; the pre-booking was quick and easy and they had great pictures and descriptions of their rooms online, which made it easy to choose. The rooms were as nice or nicer than expected, the house lovely, the location great (easy to find, easy to get to). After driving up from the heat and noise of DC, it was lovely to walk out and sit on the porch here in the morning, just drinking in the peacefulness and watching the birds flitting about.

We arrived alter than planned, but when we called ahead the hosts were very courteous about the delay. We had a nice chat after we arrived, got a recommendation for where to have a late dinner, and enjoyed a stroll around the town before bed. Next morning we borrowed some of the B&B's bikes and sampled the local rail-trail, which runs just below the hill the house sits on. We had a lovely breakfast and went on our way relaxed and refreshed. I would heartily recommend Hilltop House!

Room Tip: Their website's pictures of their rooms are quite representative.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amenia
The Mayflower Grace
The Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall
4.0 of 5 stars 96 reviews
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Hilltop House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!