“Strange hotel experience in Samarkand” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kamila

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Samarkand
Hotel Kamila
You added Hotel Kamila to your Saves list
Artema Street, 26, Samarkand, Uzbekistan   |
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Samarkand
Sydney, Australia
“Strange hotel experience in Samarkand”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights during an eight day trp to Uzbekistan. When we arrived, the main Kamila hotel seemed to be full so we were driven to a nearby street and put up in a complex which seemed to be a semi-complete addition they use for overflow when the main hotel fills up. The outside of the buildings looked nice but the room was tiny with no airconditioning and the bathroom was difficult to even get into it was so small! There was also insects in the bathroom which suggests they don't clean very well. The shower was terrible - virtually no water pressure whatsoever which was unlike any of the other hotels I stayed in Uzbekistan. Also had trouble sleeping as people kept talking downstairs in the central courtyard at all hours of night. Strangely some elements of the hotel were quite nice - the breakfast area was a large dining room very well furnished and breakfast itself was quite good. The whole place felt a little odd - it was like the owners had taken over some expensive villa and started to convert into a hotel but wasn't quite ready for use by guests. The location is pretty bad too - luckily my group had a driver to take us to dinner etc as there is nothing within three kms of the place. Would recommend people stay away from this hotel as there is clearly better value and quality available in Samarkand.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Its location is very good and you not need to hire taxi to visit places around old city. i used walk to all important places including Ragistan. Owners are friendly and one boy and a young girl at office where they take your passport are very helpful for finding cheaper taxi back to vozgal. It was nice and good expereince.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I still havent been there. But I wanted to warn people. I had booked for hotel Malika and there internet reservation is handled by a bunch of psychos called Adventour. They confirm my reservation April 15, then suddenly a MONTH later I get an email saying they have no rooms in Malika and that they can give me a room in Hotel Kamila. From reading the other reviews it looks like this is some game they play with most people and it should stop.

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I can't say enough good things about the family who run this hotel. They were very accommodating when I needed extra pillows to support my bad back, cheerfully providing a range of 5 different types of pillow. The young man (about 13) who works most with the foreign visitors spoke a range of languages and could teach customer service lessons. The service was outstanding.

My room (22) was comfortable and immaculate and I loved the wood carving at the windows. The bed was just right for my bad back, especially with the extra pillows.

The location may not be as central as other hotels, but I loved the entrance off a small side street and the feeling of staying as a guest in a family home.

• Stayed September 2009
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

We were supposed to stay at Malika, but there was a mix up with bookings and we ended up here. The hotel was ok but nothing special. The room was clean but basic, and the hotel was quite pleasant with rooms arranged around two courtyards. Even given the obvious language barriers, I found the staff very unfriendly - no-one could be bothered to look up when you entered the hotel let alone say hello. The location wasn't great - quite a walk from the sights. All in all, not a bad place to stay but there are better located hotels for the same money

• Liked — Clean but basic rooms
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff and location
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed two nights at the Hotel Kamila. Our room - No. 3 - was very basic, as was our bathroom, but sufficient. The weather was on the edge of needing an air conditioner, and our air conditioning unit didn't immediately seem to work - so we didn't bother. The place itself was anything but generic, and the staff showed such great pleasure at helping us. The owner couldn't speak English, but one of his young employees (also a relative, I believe) could, so he made sure this young man spent a long time talking to my husband. Kamila is the name of the owner's young granddaughter. Our breakfast was served on an "ihvan" (reminded me of the big opium beds in China where you sit cross-legged or with your legs curled up underneat you) just outside our room. We enjoyed our breakfasts here! When we left, the owner presented me with a small teacup. We felt very welcome here.

• Liked — The warm reception we had, throughout our stay.
  • Disliked — Shower head needed to be handheld.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kamila? Share your experiences!