“Excellent gems to taste” 5 of 5 stars

598-4522-5380
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: We closed due to personal problems.We will NOT open back to the public.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent gems to taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

The recently opened wine shop and tasting room in Colonia provides some hidden gems.

When you think of Uruguay you think of Tannat, and to be honest the first time I had it 2 years ago I wasn't impressed by this rustic wine (might have been the cheap stuff you get a tourist traps), but what Martin had us tasting changed my mind.

He not only has a good selection of well-done Tannat, we also tried some other delicious wines from the finest wineries in Uruguay - and there are more than you might think.

We started with a fresh and crisp Sauvignon Blanc from Juan Carrau, perfect for a summer dinner. Pity we are going into winter now in the southern hemisphere.

Followed by something new to me: Pinor Noir (blanc de noir) Chardonnay from Marichal Reserve Collection. I like Pinot Noir, but never had a white one before, this one has a golden-rosé tone and a very distinct flavor, a delicious mix of freshness and fruitiness with an almost woody hint - really loved that one.

The first red again was something new and shows that there is more than Tannat in Uruguay, a Petit Verdot from Pisano RPF, a fresh red wine, that I can imagine for a great asado.

The two Tannat we tried made up for the ones I tried two years ago. What a delightful taste and I can’t wait to serve them with a nice dinner at home, the first from Arunguá and the second a Grand Reserve from Marichal

Apart from tasting great wines, Martin made the evening an experience as his passion and knowledge of fine wine and good food really shows. And even after attending a few wine tastings in the past I still learned something new about wine and winemaking. I am already planning the next trip, luckily it is just 1-hour boat ride away from BA.

Visited May 2012