“A horse you may not want to ride” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Granja Colonia

Granja Colonia
Ruta 1 Km.167 | Riachuelo Departamento de Colonia CP, Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
598 (0) 520 20 25
Improve this listing
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Eduardo Arenas has been collecting key chains, beverage cans, ashtrays, perfume bottles and pencils for nearly fifty years. This odd museum contains many thousands of these and other trinkets and gifts collected by Arenas and his family. Some farm animals roam out back.
DC
“A horse you may not want to ride”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

In late Sept 2007 on a Buquebus day tour origninating in Buenos Aires, I traveled by boat (1hr) to Colonia. The tour first included a stop at Arenas Granja Colonia (Ruta No1 Km. 167 Riachuelo Colonia. www.granjacolonia.com), a roadside stop with a restaurant/"museum"(?) and outside picnic area. To the side there was what looked liked an orchard and a small field in which 4 of us were given the opportunity to help ourselves to ride a couple horses. The first horse was fine ("Gato"), though the second, a shorter black/gray horse named "Morro" struck me as easily agitated, not too people friendly when approached. I do not claim to be very experienced around horses, though have ridden several times in my life without incident. I ended up not seeing historic Colonia as I spent the rest of the day & evening in Hospital Colonia with a concussion, dislocated shoulder and broken arm after Morro bolted under a low tree branch, sending me to the ground. Further, the stable assistant, though friendly and well meaning, was lax in seeing that saddle/gear was fitted to each rider, as I was riding w/ stirrups set for the previous rider, a foot shorter than me, adding to my imbalance. Overall a nice place with nice people, though please be careful if you meet Morro (and esp. if you're not an experienced rider). Im sure horses can suffer job burn-out as much as people.