“What a great day! Wine, horses and an ostrich named 'Peru'” 5 of 5 stars

+598 97 348 445
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wine Experience will be offering Wine Tours in Colonia that includes: All Transfers, Private Expert Guide & Sommelier, Gourmet Lunch in Carmelo at a Relaix & Chateau Property, Visit to 1 or 2 Historic Wineries, All Tastings, Traditional Uruguayan BBQ at an Estancia that includes a horse ride through the vineyards. Even if you don't drink wine you will get to see the Best of Colonia & Carmelo with beautiful scenery and the ppportunity to meet the Owners & Winemakers face to face. You will be welcomed like an "old friend". Please click on the website for further details, or contact Ryan via the email form. We know you work hard - some come and join us - you deserve it !!
San Francisco
“What a great day! Wine, horses and an ostrich named 'Peru'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We are a family of 3 from San Francisco, California who were looking for something to do in Uruguay other than just wander around Colonia del Sacramento. We found 'The Wine Experience' on line & it fit the bill completely. There was wine tasting for my husband & I, riding horses for our son (aged 12) & eating amazing Uruguayan BBQ for all of us. We had a great time seeing all the animals on the estate, including the very nosy ostrich named 'Peru' who followed us around the entire enclosure getting in our business. (and the capybaras') Our son played in the game room & wandered around the estate with the local hounds having a great time while my husband and & sampled wines with Ryan. Then we all ate A LOT of BBQ. How we manged to get up on the horses for a ride around the estate I have no idea.

Ryan was great and an attentive host, talking with him about how he came to be in Uruguay was fascinating. And boy does he know his wine. He gave us recommendations for wines to have in Buenos Aires and we sampled several-all fantastic.

Would absolutely recommend this experience!!

Visited August 2012
Wine7Guy7, Owner at The Wine Experience, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hola A:

Thank you soo much for taking time to write a review. It was an Unforgettable Adventure with the family and most enjoyable. Hurry back soon.

dublin
4 attraction reviews
“Exceeded expectations - a must in Uruguay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I took part In a day trip with Ryan to the Narbone VIneyard in Carmelo. We travelled from buenos aires for the day. Ryan was fun and enthusiastic throughout the trip. We left feeling we had a greater knowledge about wine in general and more specifically a better appreciation for Uruguayan wine. The vineyard itself was absolutely gorgeous, very romantic and the food and wine were really delicious. I would recommend his tours to anyone who is looking for a relaxing, romantic day trip. Ryan could not have been anymore helpful and took lots of great photos which he emailed to us. Above all ryan was just great fun!

Visited August 2012
Toronto
“The Wine Experience Impresses Greatly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

When I booked a short trip to Buenos Aires, I scheduled in a day to explore Uruguay since it’s just a 1hr ferry ride away. I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to do in Uruguay so I went on trip advisor and The Wine Experience seemed like a really awesome option so I reached out to Ryan from The Wine Experience and we emailed back and forth for weeks while he organized the perfect experience for me. I love wine but I am not that knowledgeable about it, but just from his reading his emails alone I could tell that Ryan truly loves and lives for wine, and it shines even more in person. He made the perfect “Countryside Adventure” where we would ferry into Colonia (he met us right at the arrivals gate) and he would drive us to San Jose to this breathtaking ranch called Finca Piedra where we would taste several wines and go for a horseback riding tour around the expansive estate/vineyards, and end with a delicious BBQ lunch. It all happened exactly as planned and was beyond my expectations. From Finca Piedra, he drove us back to Colonia and dropped us off in the historic quarter where we had a few hours to explore. We actually bumped into Ryan at the Lentas Maravillas teahouse at the end of the night and he offered to drive us back to the ferry terminal, which was above and beyond and really ended the trip to Uruguay on a high-note. I couldn’t have asked for more, The Wine Experience was the perfect way to spend my day in Uruguay and I would without a doubt recommend TWE to anyone looking for a memorable experience!

Visited July 2012
Hola S:

Thank you soo much for taking time to write a review. Fun fun fun comes to mind when thinking of our adventure. Truly a pleasure. Please come back soon.

San Antonio, TX
13 attraction reviews
“Who doesn't like wine and beautiful scenery?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Ryan met us at the ferry in Colonia Uruguay and we spent a great day at a couple of wineries, had a scenic drive to Carmelo and made a new friend. Ryan is very knowledgeable about the area, wine and food. He has wonderful relationships with the owners/managers of the wineries so we received personalized service. We were treated like family. The ferry ride from Buenos Aires is lots of fun and stress free. Colonia is beautifuand so quaint.

Visited June 2012
Hola D:

Thank you soo much for taking time to write a review. It was truly a pleasure. I had a great time and always a treat meeting people like yourselves. Hope to see you back soon.

Long Beach, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
“A wonderful family day in Uruguay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My wife, daughters, and I took the ferry from Buenos Aires to Uruguay for a day adventure we had booked with Ryan and The Wine Experience. We didn't know what to expect as this was our first time in South America and only had one day for Uruguay. In short, the day was fantastic.
Ryan met us at the ferry and shuttled the family to Finca Piedra winery for the whole day. We were worried that our daughters (8 and 4) might get bored but this was not the case. They had a game room, animal farm, bikes, and horse back riding for them to enjoy. Ryan gave my wife and I a fantastic wine tasting experience and we were served a killer BBQ lunch. The entire day was amazing and Ryan was the perfect host. We highly recommend Ryan and The Wine Experience if you plan to spend any time in Uruguay. You won't be disappointed with the itinerary or your guide.

Visited June 2012
, Owner at The Wine Experience, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear M&H:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Fabulous Adventure together. I am so happy you enjoyed this Family Grape Escape, and it was a real treat getting to know all of you. I enjoyed the day immensouly, and look forward to welcoming you in Punta del Este next time round :)

Gracias totales !!!

Owner, The Wine Experience
"Promoting, Experiencing & Adventuring"