“From a local's perspective” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
“From a local's perspective”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Sure enough, I've been living here in Colonia del Sacramento for almost a year and a half, and as such, I've had the opportunity to visit this restaurant quite a few times. I even applied to work as a waiter there. However, the few times I've eaten here, I noticed it had its positive aspects as well as its negative. Sure enough, the food is ok, I guess, although quantity very clearly overpowers quality. If you know a bit about Uruguayan cuisine, you know they're just trying to get away with their poor quality meats by replacing traditional dishes with cheaper, faster imitations of the same.

Nevertheless, if you enjoy eating at places like McDonald's or perhaps Perkins (Although I think I'd prefer Perkins), and want to experience fast food in a different country, then by all means, eat at Mercosur. Like I said, the food isn't BAD, it's just not as good as one would expect. Of course, you can't compare the prices, as with most fast food restaurants. As far as Mercosur goes, it's pretty much the best place to go if you want a cheap and filling lunch or dinner. Not recommended if you want to try out REAL Uruguayan cuisine, nor for a special occasion.

As for the service, I suppose you could say it was just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary, but good enough nonetheless. As a waiter myself, I suppose I can see why the waiters at Mercosur might seem disinterested. They slave away all day to try and keep both their managers and the clients content, something which is near impossible. They ought to get a medal. So, if you do choose to dine there, feel free to complain about the food's quality if your chivito comes with soggy fries, a burnt egg, no bacon, and a steak as thick as your hand (The Chivito sandwich traditionally comes with an almost paper-thin filet mignon steak, otherwise it's not a chivito, it's a steak sandwich.), but please, give your waiter a break. And remember, the tip isn't extra. It's part of his paycheck, as it is in most places, including the place where I work (Which I will not divulge)

Hope to have been of help! Cheers, and good eating!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Good food and better prices than most in Uruguay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Popular spot. Larger and a little nicer than most of the sidewalk cafes along the main street. We expected to pay a little more than at other places but in fact the bill was one of the lowest we had in our 5 day trip through Uruguay. Food was good, although not special. Service was average and not a problem for us. Fine place for a decent, enjoyable meal.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Service sub-par, Meat non-existent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Maybe we just ordered the wrong thing. Not much was open when we got in (too early to check-in to our hostel and sadly, this meant we didn't check trip advisor). This was pretty much the only place open. We ordered whatever the cheapest meat option was - wasn't particularly cheap - about what we'd pay at Outback in the US - I think it was Carne Asado or something. Anyway... our waitress didn't try to steer us away from it, which, upon ordering, I appreciated, but upon getting the meat, wish she had spoken up. It was beef ribs, and was almost entirely fat and bones. In our two portions of the meal, we had maybe 8 square centimeters of food that we could actually eat. Service was a bit slow, which normally we are used to and put up with without a fuss, but we really just wanted to get out of there because we were still starving. I was really disappointed to have to pay anything for such a small amount of food (and the parts we could eat weren't particularly good). A bit of a bummer.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had lunch there shortly after arriving in Colonia in the early afternoon. It was quite busy,so we thought it's a nice, popolar place. Close to our hotel. How lucky, we thought. Service was pretty haphazard, and very slow, and fairly disinterested. My partner had a hamburger, which was ok, my caprese salad was made with gouda cheese, not very nice. The next day ,quite a few of the places that would have been nice for dinner, were actually closed,and it was getting late, so we ended up at Mercosur again.We sat down outside,and after waiting quite some time for service my leg and handbag was getting wet,water was pouring down the outside wall. We changed table,still no service. At the time, it was getting a little chilly, and we decided to try our luck inside. Upon entering, we were challenged by a waitress,asking if were going to eat or just going to use the toilets (this is strictly forbidden!!!). She showed us to a table behind some sort of curtain right at the back. We pointed to one of the many empty tables, and were told they were all reserved. We were handed menus, and waited for ages to have our order taken. After a while we gave up, never to return. We went to a rough looking bar across the road (punta Piedra, I think), which was better than hoped for : only house wine,but not bad at all, and a pretty good pizza siciliana.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“AVOID AT ALL COST!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We ended up inside this restaurant because El Porton was closed and we had just arrived in Colonia and were very hungry. We sat down inside and it took about 10 minutes for us to even get a menu. Then after looking at the menu we waited about another 20 minutes before the waiter came to take our orders for drinks and food. After 45 minutes of waiting in we still hasn't gotten anything to drink. My husband motioned to the waiter to at least bring out drinks but we waited an additional 10 minutes before he brought them. Finally around the 1hour 15 minute mark the waiter brings us a baked potatoe and a blood sausage. Both were cold. They had apparently been sitting around for a while. When we complained about the long wait and the temperature of the food the waiter got very rude and obnoxious and asked if we wanted the steaks and salad we ordered or not. We said "No just the bill". After waiting another 10 minutes for the bill my husband went to look for the waiter and found him having a drink at the bar!!! He then called over the manager to get the bill and we noticed they had charged us for food they never served us. It took about another 10 minutes to get this corrected. We paid up and left!!! This place has absolutely HORRENDOUS service. They waiters are not motivated or helpful at all. We don't think we have ever has WORST service. It took them two hours to serve us a cold baked potato and sausage. WILL NOT BE RETURNING and STRONGLY DO NOT RECCOMEND!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere