“Great location, friendly staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Capullo

You added El Capullo to your Saves list
El Capullo
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   18 de Julio, #219, Colonia del Sacramento 70.000, Uruguay   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Great location, friendly staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed here with our two young children and found El Capullo to be a well run, comfortable hotel with friendly staff. Our stay here was most enjoyable and relaxing and the location is excellent, right in the beautiful old town. We were particularly impressed by the quality and choice available at breakfast and the beautiful garden/pool area. Our stay was great and we would definately recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

El Capullo is in a lovely quiet area but still near the centre of Colonia - its great value - clean and stylish but very friendly. A real find. Would definately go back there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Wonderful hotel - we chose it because of its environmentally friendly profile - something we certainly want to support. But we had much, much more than expected: Great location, good atmosphere, great design and very, very nice staff. Would love to have stayed a lot longer!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This place is a true gem and could not be better located in the heart of the old town.
Great breakfast, lovely garden out the back with a small but very much appreciated swimming pool. Staff and owners are great - very helpful and friendly.
Free use of computers and free wifi too.
One of the best places I have stayed in during all my travels throughout South America.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We loved this place. Staff were really friendly, service was great. We had a gorgeous room, decor is amazing for the price. Beautiful and v convenient location. One of the best places we stayed on our trip. We'd really recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nuremberg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed at El Capullo for two nights in November 2010. I have booked online through their website and gave my Credit Card details to secure the booking. But on my arrival they said, they are fully booked and wanted me to go to another hotel. I denied that, because I have had a confirmed reservation and I didn't want to stay elsewhere. I left my luggage at the reception and went for a sightseeing tour of Colonia. As I returned, they maneged, that another hotel guest changed the hotel and I got my room. This was not very pleasant at all and I would be courios, if el Capullo would have charged my Credit Card for a no show, if I didn't have arrived, even if they didn't kept a room for me.
The hotel itself is nice and good value. Central located, clean and modern. Nice breakfast buffet, free internet.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We found this little inn on Trip Advisor and chose it because it seemed to meet all of our needs -breakfast, twin beds (we are relatives traveling together), and a reasonable price ($125 per night, which included taxes and breakfast). The inn is charming and right on the edge of the historical area. However, while I am sure the staff are all very nice people, we weren´t treated all that warm or friendly and there were a few basic problems that made it hard to enjoy our stay.

PROS:
-nicely decorated rooms in the minimalist style but with charming touches such as large windows, high ceilings, colorful pillows, tile art, interesting shelves, and comfortable but small twin beds
-basic breakfast buffet, including freshly squeezed orange juice and a variety of breads and spreads
-cheerful common areas filled with brightly colored art - including a breakfast room, lounge with fireplace, and garden with pool
-luggage storage and use of the common spaces after you check out, if you are waiting for a late ferry, like we were
-free use of the internet and computers if you didn´t bring your own

CONS:
- if one person was out of the room, the other person had to be locked in or out as there was no internal locking device
- we were in room 2, which faced the street and was very noisy despite being in the off-season, almost unbelievably so (also note there is an elementary school directly across the street)
- our room was freshly painted and smelled strongly of paint
- our room was freezing cold. Unfortunately, despite the wall heater, it never warmed up so we spent the night huddled under the extra blankets and sweaters in our respective beds, which I am sorry, but that is unacceptable.
- lighting is for ambience, not function, so it was somewhat difficult to read in bed or do makeup.
- small tv with very poor reception.
- no iron, no phones, and no minibar or fridge
-they wanted $60 to extend our check out for a 4pm ferry, which seemed strange in the off season when there were no waiting guests but perhaps is customary for Uruguay or small inns? I´ve never been asked to pay for a late check-out - I always thought it was just something that hotels and inns did if they didn´t have a need to get the room cleaned right away and basically to be nice so you recommend them to others. Maybe I am just wrong here? However, as noted under the pros, they were nice enough to allow us to use their common space and store our luggage.

All in all, it wasn´t a great experience although I´d say this place has a lot of potential for a romantic getaway or during summer because of the pretty garden and swimming pool. I would not choose a room that faced the breakfast area or the front of the hotel, as the noise is just too much. I didn´t get very much sleep while I was there, so I just can´t recommend it without reservations. Perhaps we just went in the wrong time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs in the back
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
gooner4, Owner at El Capullo, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thanks for your very construcive comments. It´s always nice to hear positive comments about the hotel and the not so positive, some points of which i would like to respond to. It had not occured to us to have an internal locking system in the rooms and this has not previously been requested, but we shall now consider it. The front two rooms do face the street - inevitably some rooms do have to face the street - and there is a school across the way. Luckily, the school is not open on weekends or during the busy summer season. At other times we try to put guests in the back or upstairs where they won´t be affected. I don´t know why this wasn´t done in your case - i apologize. Regarding the room temperature, it is the first time a guest has complained about the temperature as we have individually controlled heating units in all the rooms. If you had a problem with your unit / room, you really should have asked for help in reception.
We do not advertize having phones, fridges or irons in the rooms although you are free to borrow any of the above (as stated in the information booklet in each room).
Once again thanks for your comments, I hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable.

Been to El Capullo? Share your experiences!