“Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 305 Restaurants in Ras Al Khaimah
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Banyan Tree’s signature restaurant offers authentic Thai cuisine. Overlooking the Nature Reserve’s watering hole where the wildlife gathers, dining conversations will turn naturally towards the antics of these nomadic creatures.
London, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The food was lovely, as I really enjoy Thai. The chicken skewers were amazing!

Visited October 2011

Konstanz-Muenchen-Dubai
“Insulting staff. Served expensive water despite asking for local water.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I really don't like giving negative feedback. We are quite easy guests usually. But this just went over the top. It took me a while to find words at all. Here is our story:

Walking through the Banyan al Wadi Ressort just before sunset we shortly stopped at the Saffron Restaurant to have a look at the menue. Instead of handing us the menue in the first place we were greeted by a guy (assumingly the head waitor, maybe restaurant manager?) with a sentence like 'you must make reservation now if you want to dine today and pay cash only, no credit card possible'. (haaa??)
Given the fact that we actually stayed in that quite expensive ressort, we were a bit put off - so I wasn't quick enough to ask wether that included 'no writing bill on the room' and then somehow put off the offence, guessing he thought we were just weekend dining visitors? Anyways, a lady finally brought us the menue and we thought we might come back the next day - given it was mentioned to be the 'Banyon signature restaurant' and we are thai food lovers. The guy rewarded us with 'if you want dine tomorrow you must make reservation now'. We did and got a comment like 'you come 7 sharp. If no come 7.30 no table.' Well...

When we came we were the first guests and were led to a table directly at a door and asked for another one. The lady (luckily the 'guy' wasn't in sight) looked very nervous that all tables were booked and this was ours but then relented and gave us another one a bit further down on the terrace. Then the 'guy' came to take our orders, standing with a tapping food next to me while I was reading the menue.

We ordered the set menue - admitted, the food was good, in my oppinion the main courses much too large (compared with the Thai Kitchen in Dubai - admittedly a bit more expensive - the variety at their set brunch is much larger but portions much smaller and the grapefruit salad tastier - I'd say all in all a much better choice).
The 'guy' waiter ran by our table hustling, bustling and baffooning along, as well as nagging at and shouting to the other waitors that we first of all didn't feel welcome at all, we had the feeling they tried to hurry us to finish up and leave, but also we really couldn't enjoy a - for us special and very important - evening at all. We felt shocked, insulted, and totally disappointed.

But what makes me most angry is that we asked for local water and were served a french one. Not only because the water costs 3 times as much or because the local water actually tastes better for me - but especially because I believe it is a horrible environmental issue to waste fuel and fly water from one country to another when there is totally delicious water available there! The 'guy' did just act as if he hadn't heard when I mentioned it so I guessed they wouldn't have any local water as the same happened to us at the other restaurant 'waha' - until I saw that other guests (locals I assumed due to their dress) at the next table (!) were indeed served aquafina. Why would they do that - especially as I had asked for it?? Not at all understandable for me.

Leaving the restaurant (by the way there were still 2 tables on the terrace and a few inside available) I asked for a feedback form but the receptionist said there was none and I should ask for it at the hotel reception. I did the same the next morning when we checked out but was told they didn't have any either and suggested to send an e-mail. Sorry to say so... but what a joke. This finally helped my decision to make this story public.

• Visited June 2011